Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Missed the first 8 laps as I'd only finished work at 7.30, fell asleep and was awoken by Ben Edwards screaming "Hamilton's tyre has gone".

Good race all the same, the final few laps after the safety car were immense with Alonso, Hamilton, Webber all flying. Was hoping that Webber would catch Rosberg, but it wasn't meant to be. Alonso is only a win away from Vettel now.

Ya the championship is hotting up alright, I love the next 4 tracks too, Nurburing, Hungaroring Spa & Monza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya the championship is hotting up alright, I love the next 4 tracks too, Nurburing, Hungaroring Spa & Monza.

Wouldn't be a fan of the Hungaroring, its like a small dust bowl, but would definitely agree with you about the other 3. Not a fan of Hockenheim in its new-ish layout so am always happy to see the Nurburgring on the calendar. And Monza speaks for itself as the fastest track in F1, even if the first chicane has neutered the speed a little.

Hoping the Mercs and Alonso can keep eating into Vettel and RBs lead in the next few races before we get to the circuits suited to RB.

Wouldn't be a fan of the Hungaroring, its like a small dust bowl, but would definitely agree with you about the other 3. Not a fan of Hockenheim in its new-ish layout so am always happy to see the Nurburgring on the calendar. And Monza speaks for itself as the fastest track in F1, even if the first chicane has neutered the speed a little.

Hoping the Mercs and Alonso can keep eating into Vettel and RBs lead in the next few races before we get to the circuits suited to RB.

Spa and Monza are 2 of my favourites, old Hockenheim was a flyer of a track back in the day alright but I like the Nurburing GP track.

Ya I'd love to see it go down to the last few races and keep it open longer.

Vettel is a driving god but his and RB's dominance can be boring especially with Webber practically playing 2nd fiddle to him even though he has the genuine pace and ability to trouble Vettel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Spa and Monza are 2 of my favourites, old Hockenheim was a flyer of a track back in the day alright but I like the Nurburing GP track.

Vettel is a driving god but his and RB's dominance can be boring especially with Webber practically playing 2nd fiddle to him even though he has the genuine pace and ability to trouble Vettel.
    You ever think of taking the Astra to the Nordschleffe track Gav?

From playing far too much forza 4 I love that track, so it's a dream to go over with my next car for a lap

I've done a lap of the Isle of Man TT on my old bike, would love to have a chance of baiting round the Nordschleffe. And when I say baiting round, of course I mean tiptoeing tentatively and being overtaken by people on push bikes and mobility scooters :o

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »

From playing far too much forza 4 I love that track, so it's a dream to go over with my next car for a lap

I've always thought about it, just for an experience, I wouldnt go hell for leather on the thing though as the bills for running of grip and talent can be huge for repairs to teh track, plenty of horror stories about guys owing thousands for destroying the barriers, getting the track closed, ambulances and the likes, that part scares me.

Edit : You'd also want somethig fairly quick to get around, as well as upgrading brakes and having good tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I've always wanted to go to Rio and haven't been to a World Cup so it'll mark two things off the list.

The part in bold is where the problem lies :pac: it's going to be a big party with a lot of alcohol! Have you ever seen how crazy Carnival is over there? The World Cup will blow that out of the water.

Have you ever been over there?

Was there for 2-3 weeks back around 2007.

Trust me if you go you won't regret.

Vettel Schumacher is a driving god but his and RB's Ferrari's dominance can be boring especially with Webber Barrichello (:pac:) practically playing 2nd fiddle to him even though he has the genuine pace and ability to trouble Vettel Schumi.

Apart from the last part, its funny how despite how much it changes, some things stay the same. McLaren had their dominance in the late 80's, Williams in the 90's, Ferrari in the 00's and now Red Bull.

Gets a tad boring watching the same driver/team combo winning, but like you said, heres hoping the championship lasts until the final few races at least.

Apart from the last part, its funny how despite how much it changes, some things stay the same. McLaren had their dominance in the late 80's, Williams in the 90's, Ferrari in the 00's and now Red Bull.

Gets a tad boring watching the same driver/team combo winning, but like you said, heres hoping the championship lasts until the final few races at least.

That rings true alright if you think of it. :o

I actuallythought Hamilton/Alonso combo would reap the same rewards back in the early part of Hamiltons career, McLaren had the drivers and the car was pretty quick but it just didnt happen consistently enough for them.

That rings true alright if you think of it. :o

I actuallythought Hamilton/Alonso combo would reap the same rewards back in the early part of Hamiltons career, McLaren had the drivers and the car was pretty quick but it just didnt happen consistently enough for them.

I'm a big McLaren fan, stemming from Hakkinen's time, and was hoping that duo would bring a few titles to the team. Sadly, when an argument crops up between the two drivers and the management sides with the scrappy, young newcomer rather than the current champion you recently signed to millions of pounds, you know things are gonna go tits up. And tits up they went. Massively. The two drivers wouldn't talk to each other and Alonso became somewhat paranoid that his mechanics were out to make him slower than Hamilton.

They could've backed Alonso from mid-season onwards and the drivers championship would've been theirs. Foolishly, they didn't back any driver as a clear number 1 and so Raikkonen won the title by 1 point ahead of both McLaren drivers who had identical points.

McLaren made a number of key errors that season, one of them being the moronic idea of taking Ferrari technical information, leading to a mahoosive fine and them being disqualified from the constructors championship.

All in all a woeful season for them.

• Advertisement

I've always thought about it, just for an experience, I wouldnt go hell for leather on the thing though as the bills for running of grip and talent can be huge for repairs to teh track, plenty of horror stories about guys owing thousands for destroying the barriers, getting the track closed, ambulances and the likes, that part scares me.

Edit : You'd also want somethig fairly quick to get around, as well as upgrading brakes and having good tyres.

True, the danger would be that you think you're flying it, get a bit of confidence up and start to act the bollix. I'd be taking it nice and handy if I went around there that's for sure, but would love to do a lap.

Like you say though - you'd want a pacy machine with good brakes - would love to do it in something like an A5, love that car!

True, the danger would be that you think you're flying it, get a bit of confidence up and start to act the bollix. I'd be taking it nice and handy if I went around there that's for sure, but would love to do a lap.

Like you say though - you'd want a pacy machine with good brakes - would love to do it in something like an A5, love that car!

I've actually seen an S5 out around Bishoptown/Ballincollig the last few weeks, not an S-Line but genuine S5. '11 C , black 5 door version as well so think its about 350BHP, lovely car.

One of the neighbours has an 03 M3, would love to try it one of those, although you can do the 'Ring Taxi for like 200 quid i'm sure I read before, M5 and a 'Ring instructor = brown pants.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I must be the only person here who's never watched Game of Thrones and has no intention whatsoever of doing so. Tbh, I just don't watch any TV shows anymore and haven't done for a few years now. Though it must be said, Boardwalk Empire and The Newsroom did tempt me.

But yeah, sport is all the viewing I need :cool:

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I must be the only person here who's never watched Game of Thrones and has no intention whatsoever of doing so. Tbh, I just don't watch any TV shows anymore and haven't done for a few years now. Though it must be said, Boardwalk Empire and The Newsroom did tempt me.

But yeah, sport is all the viewing I need :cool:

I've not watched Game of Thrones either or Breaking Bad, I'm missing out big time according to my buddies but I just dont have time in the evenings to commit to a series at this moment.

Gran Turismo 4 for me. I'd scare myself if I knew the amount of time/laps I've put in on the Nordschleffe back then :o

Gran Turismo 4 for me. I'd scare myself if I knew the amount of time/laps I've put in on the Nordschleffe back then :o

Theres a 4 hour endurance race on GT5, I've tried it a few weeks back early on Saturday morning, jaysus it was tough going, not as fun as I'd thought it would be.

What annoyed me was setting my fastest time early and for the next 3 and a bit hours not being able to get within 4 seconds of it.

:pac:

I've actually seen an S5 out around Bishoptown/Ballincollig the last few weeks, not an S-Line but genuine S5. '11 C , black 5 door version as well so think its about 350BHP, lovely car.

*Fills tank, drives around Bishopstown all week :pac:
    One of the neighbours has an 03 M3, would love to try it one of those, although you can do the 'Ring Taxi for like 200 quid i'm sure I read before, M5 and a 'Ring instructor = brown pants.

Think an M3 would have too much for me to handle tbh - I had the fathers Avensus at the weekend and I'd hardly trust myself in that, can see why the guards use them - 2.0L engine on them and the steering is really light and responsive!

I didn't understand that whole brown pants spiel, speak English Corkonian! :pac:

I'll have to check my forza stats for time spent doing career mode etc. - they've ridiculous detail with regard to playtime stats.
    Theres a 4 hour endurance race on GT5, I've tried it a few weeks back early on Saturday morning, jaysus it was tough going, not as fun as I'd thought it would be.

What annoyed me was setting my fastest time early and for the next 3 and a bit hours not being able to get within 4 seconds of it.

4 hours! Lunacy - I'd barely get through a 90min game of Fifa....actually, I definitely wouldn't get through that!

Feel the pain re: trying to beat a lap, fairly certain I did about 30-40 laps of Mugello in a Ferrari GTO trying to beat my own ghost car....such a waste of life looking back on it now!!

*Fills tank, drives around Bishopstown all week :pac:

I think I know where it lives but dont wanna speculate on a public forum too much, lovely car though all the same.
    Think an M3 would have too much for me to handle tbh - I had the fathers Avensus at the weekend and I'd hardly trust myself in that, can see why the guards use them - 2.0L engine on them and the steering is really light and responsive!

I didn't understand that whole brown pants spiel, speak English Corkonian! :pac:

I was seriosuly tempted by an M3 recently, still thinking about it but I'd say I'll stay with the OPC for the time being.

Much cheaper tax and running/servicing costs but my buddies old 325 M Sport was a lovely car, Imola Red too.

4 hours! Lunacy - I'd barely get through a 90min game of Fifa....actually, I definitely wouldn't get through that!

There's an event in Suzuka, 1000KM's its about 160 laps, got about 30 laps in was about a minute up and quit. It was painful, there was no way I'd get through it.

The 4 endurance races I've to complete is the Suzuka one above, 9hours at Tsukba and 24 hours at LeMans & Nurburing.

I'll never finish them, although people have, dont know how.

Most I spend on the PC or PS3 now a days is maybe 2/3 hours max.

• Advertisement

I was seriosuly tempted by an M3 recently, still thinking about it but I'd say I'll stay with the OPC for the time being.

Much cheaper tax and running/servicing costs but my buddies old 325 M Sport was a lovely car, Imola Red too.

Saw an M3 when I was leaving Killarney this weekend to head back to Cork - was that Blue/Purplish colour and the dark spoked alloys - lovely looking car.

I'm hoping to upgrade the motor in the next year or two if I can afford it, thinking of a 3 series, A4 or C class Merc if I can get one for cheap enough - they're overpriced though, you're paying for the name more or less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Killarney? booo.

Saw an M3 when I was leaving Killarney this weekend to head back to Cork - was that Blue/Purplish colour and the dark spoked alloys - lovely looking car.

I'm hoping to upgrade the motor in the next year or two if I can afford it, thinking of a 3 series, A4 or C class Merc if I can get one for cheap enough - they're overpriced though, you're paying for the name more or less

Dya have your heart set on a 4 door ya?

Ever consider an Octovia VRS?

I've not watched Game of Thrones either or Breaking Bad, I'm missing out big time according to my buddies but I just dont have time in the evenings to commit to a series at this moment.

Aye, the only thing Breaking Bad I've seen is advertisements on the box. Nothing more. Likewise with the The Walking Dead. Lost and Prison Break were the last shows I properly watched and they finished up in 2010 if I recall.

Imagine being so daft enough to attempt the 9 hour races (that were on GT4, maybe they're on 5 too?) :o To be fair. I usually just left my PS2 on throughout the day and did a couple of hours at time here and there but still :o

Even tried the Le Mans 24 event once. Got 9 hours through it and the electricity cut out. Not a chance I was going to try that again!

Aye, the only thing Breaking Bad I've seen is advertisements on the box. Nothing more. Likewise with the The Walking Dead. Lost and Prison Break were the last shows I properly watched and they finished up in 2010 if I recall.

I do watch Walking Dead I will admit. Got hooked since the 1st epsiode although tis very hit or miss, sometimes badly misses. :(
    Imagine being so daft enough to attempt the 9 hour races (that were on GT4, maybe they're on 5 too?) :o To be fair. I usually just left my PS2 on throughout the day and did a couple of hours at time here and there but still :o

Even tried the Le Mans 24 event once. Got 9 hours through it and the electricity cut out. Not a chance I was going to try that again!

I've tried the 9 hours one on GT4 with a buddy, we took it in turns to do it in shifts, an hour here and there but it was horrific.

I'd be absolutly full with rage if that happened with the 24 hour race at Le Mans or Nurburing. :eek:

I'm not sure if theres a save option half way through it but there'd be no way I'd get through a 24 hour sitting of a race let alone 2 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The Walking Dead.....
    It's amazing how much Season 2 sucked. Lori and Andrea also dragged the show down by themselves.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Gave them both a try but never got into them (Read the GOT books anyway). Don't watch TV series in general, with the exception of some cartoons you can dip in an out of. Music, Reading and video games take preference for me.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Killarney? booo.

Quiet down you ignoramus!! :pac:
    Dya have your heart set on a 4 door ya?

Ever consider an Octovia VRS?

Yeah, I've loved A4s since I was younger, just thought they were the nicest saloons, plus I have a 4 door now so I think I'll stick with them.

Checked out the VRS alright, they're nice and I think the boot is great on them but the front lets it down slightly - that or the shape of it - doesn't look as sleek as an a4 or M3 for me

Breaking Bad is worth watching in fairness, crazy television - I haven't watched any of season 5 as I couldn't handle waiting every week so I'm waiting until it finishes and tearing into it some weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Breaking Bad is fantastic. I put it off for a while, watched the first few episodes then stopped but tried again. I ended up watching all of them in 5 weeks. WATCH IT! You won't regret it. I think it returns for the final few episodes in 4 weeks.

Dexter also returned for its final season last night, which came out of nowhere! It's usually on in September/October but I spotted it on twitter this morning.

My problem is I've started watching too much, especially since I got a HTPC. Now I have a huge backlog of stuff to get through :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I get that the nly reason I watch so many television sieries is because I work twelve hour shifts night and days and also get a minimun four days off a week and be damned if im doing nights wake up at 3p.m and am going to watch daytime television.
    I think I know where it lives but dont wanna speculate on a public forum too much, lovely car though all the same.

Was tempted by a M3 but the general running costs and repair costs are mental then started looking at a 335i but kept reading all about the wastegate issue and first one I took for a test drive boom engine warning light popping up kinda didn't build confidence in them.

But went and test drove a 330i today and have to say it was immaculate, think I could be buying it in the next couple of days comes with 6 months tax which is handy and is has the M-Sport Le Mans pack so is a beautiful car. It's the same engine as the 335i minus the turbos but still puts out 260bhp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

IvySlayer wrote: »
    The Walking Dead.....
    It's amazing how much Season 2 sucked. Lori and Andrea also dragged the show down by themselves.

Season 2 is far better than season 3. Show went rapidly downhill after season 1. Overall I still thought it was a good series, but it gets progressively worse. I'll stop talking now before I reveal any spoilers...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

THFC wrote: »
    Season 2 is far better than season 3. Show went rapidly downhill after season 1. Overall I still thought it was a good series, but it gets progressively worse. I'll stop talking now before I reveal any spoilers...!

The first half of season 3 is really good, which makes the second half all the more shocking. Season 2 is badly paced and benefits from being watched over a short period. Ideally season 2 would have been condensed to half a season and the first half of Season 3 would have been the end of season 2.

It's also good that it's diverging from the comics cos the prison story was the highlight but I dread to think what they will come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

One of very few "sports" I couldn't sit down and enjoy watching. Each to their own and all that but it would bore me to tears.

NASCAR is surely worse. Just going around in a circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

New laptop bought yesterday after my 8 yr old toshiba decided to jack it in two weeks ago.

Terribly impressed with Windows 8.
    Oh, and God bless Dropbox.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    New laptop bought yesterday after my 8 yr old toshiba decided to jack it in two weeks ago.

Terribly impressed with Windows 8.
    Oh, and God bless Dropbox.

Google Drive gives you 15GB between it and your emails. Think Dropbox gives you 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Google Drive gives you 15GB between it and your emails. Think Dropbox gives you 2.

Yeah 2GB is right - small alright, relative to Google Drive, but more than enough for me (for now) and it rescued my ass! :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I have 32 GB of space in my dropbox through various sign on things. It's temporary though, think I lose most of it before the end of the year :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Dropbox is the bomb.

Dexter is back!

Google Drive ftw

• Advertisement

Keno 92 wrote: »
    NASCAR is surely worse. Just going around in a circle.

I remember being in a diner in Philly a 5 or so years ago now with my girlfriend at the time. NASCAR happened to be on the TV. I made a passing comment about it to the waitress if there was any chance they could switch over to the NBA action on at that time. I hadn't realised, but there was some guys who were attending some car show in town that weekend in the booth beside us. It was like I had offended their religion by suggesting to change the channel. They were actually alright but they decided to lecture us on the history of NASCAR and why it's the best sport around. I mentioned F1 in terms of being the best motorsport and it was like their head was going to explode :D

As you said, nothing more than going around in a circle albeit very, very fast. But I don't see the attraction. Talladega Nights is the only thing NASCAR related I can enjoy.

I've an American buddy who had cousins over from the States before christmas and while they werent big into NASCAR they did enjoy watching it.

I offered to build a scaletrix bowl track and have a 200 lap race for them one night and they werent too interested in that idea though and I let them know thats what the rest of the world feels about NASCAR. :pac:

While I can appreciate the concentration it requires to drive that distance and that speed I cant take to it, as Cartman said, its just about turning left really.

2 American/Canadian Sports I cant stand are Nascar and Ice Hockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

2 American/Canadian Sports I cant stand are Nascar and Ice Hockey.

I felt the movie Goon helped me understand Ice Hockey a lot better. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ice Hockey is fantastic. The Blackhawks scoring twice in 17 seconds (in the last 90 seconds of the game) against the Bruins last week to win the Stanley Cup was amazing.

NASCAR on the other hand....zzZZZzz.

Oh, and it's an oval, not a circle. I've been told that many times.

I watched a USA V Canada game from about 2010 and was biggest pile of crap I have seen.

Ice Hockey is pretty cool live. Saw New York Rangers beat the Boston Bruin a couple of years ago in a thrilling 4-3 win and then a week later it was the Battle for NY where NY Rangers beat the NY Islanders 4-3 in Overtime. Atmosphere was insane.

Can only really stand to watch the Stanley Cup Final on TV though as it doesn't clash with the NBA and their Playoff Finals.

Good sport to bet on if you can find the time to do a little research as well, found it quite easy to cap.
    TheTownie wrote: »
    I felt the movie Goon helped me understand Ice Hockey a lot better. :pac:

I stumbled upon Goon in the early hours one night earlier this year on a west coast ABC stream I think, was on after an NBA Golden State Warriors game. Surprisingly enjoyed it for what it was as I really cannot stand Sean William Scott.

With most folk The Mighty Ducks is their only experience of Ice Hockey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I like Ice Hockey. I don't get to watch it but have always had an NHL game on whatever gaming console I've owned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't know how anyone ever scores in the game. You can block almost the entire goal..

or certainly I could:pac:

Neville Southall would have been a world class Ice Hockey G.K.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement