Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When they take a shot it's very much hit and hope. Not like you can aim for top corner.

More of proper fighting person like boxing ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Neville Southall would have been a world class Ice Hockey G.K.

:pac:
    Stopping shots with his mustache n'all :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Considering how big of a twist people's knickers get in over here when football fans boo their own players, I'd suggest attending an Ice Hockey game. Went to Boston Bruins v Buffalo Sabres about seven years ago and my God the venom with which the Boston fans abused their own players was unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Completely off-topic. Serious guitar work going on here.

Asked this over in the smartphones forum, but didn't get much answers.

Basically, my dad is with 3 on billpay and got a Galaxy S3 today as an upgrade, but he's dreadful with technology so is giving it to me. Just went to put my Meteor PAYG sim card in, but it's one of the old-style ones and the Galaxy takes a Micro. I'm wondering if I go ahead and get a Micro one tomorrow will I be able to use the phone no bother then when I put it in or will I have to get it unlocked first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

baz2009 wrote: »

Basically, my dad is with 3 on billpay and got a Galaxy S3 today as an upgrade, but he's dreadful with technology so is giving it to me. Just went to put my Meteor PAYG sim card in, but it's one of the old-style ones and the Galaxy takes a Micro. I'm wondering if I go ahead and get a Micro one tomorrow will I be able to use the phone no bother then when I put it in or will I have to get it unlocked first?

Seeing as it came from 3, you'd have to unlock it to use it with a Meteor sim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

They won't unlock a brand new phone for you either. You will have to find someone to do that for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The Chinese, a great bunch of lads..

If I just change to 3 PAYG will I be able to use it without unlocking?

• Advertisement

If I just change to 3 PAYG will I be able to use it without unlocking?

I think you can, not 100% on that though.
    I personally wouldn't go anywhere near 3 tbh, although it's PAYG so you can always change if the coverage isn't great where you are.

Cheers.

Get much more for €20 a month than you do with Meteor, that's swaying me big time on the side of 3. The coverage tends to be grand around here, both parents are on 3 and rarely have trouble with it.

Cheers.

Get much more for €20 a month than you do with Meteor, that's swaying me big time on the side of 3. The coverage tends to be grand around here, both parents are on 3 and rarely have trouble with it.

I had a terrible time with them with download speeds and their customer service is a nightmare but I suppose they all have their problems. Going by their forum here they seem to be in a league of their own though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

There's apps on the play store that'll unlock it for you .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

If the phone was SIM-free (unlocked) when your dad bought it, the Meteor Micro SIM will work. The PAYG 3 SIM should work no bother in any case. If the phone is locked, and you do want to stay with Meteor, it's easy to get unlocked, and only takes a few button presses if the phone is on Android version 4.1.1 or below. If not, there's an app out there that only costs about €3-ish, and only takes a few mins also.

1st method (if you're on Android 4.1.1 or 4.1.0):
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=34661189&postcount=1

2nd method:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spocky.galaxsimunlock&hl=en
    The app is free to download, but it will ask you to make an in-app purchase when it verifies that it can unlock your phone. This app won't work on the i9305 model of the S3. They're not common here though, I doubt you'll have any hassle. It's easy to check anyway if you need to know.

I can personally vouch for both methods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Got 6 euro on a money card to waste....any suggestions?

Also, Warren Gatland...*shakes fist*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Murray down 2 sets to 1 and I just saw the first murray is Scottish tweet on twitter how fickle people are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Murray down 2 sets to 1 and I just saw the first murray is Scottish tweet on twitter how fickle people are.

British when he wins, Scottish when he loses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anyone watch Luther last night? Great to have it back again. Brilliant show.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Knex. wrote: »

McIlroy is another fine example of this.

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    McIlroy is another fine example of this.

Aye. Not a huge follower of Gold myself but I have noticed it. Don't know whether to laugh or cry at times!

Murray just made it 2 sets each which is impressive in fairness.

Hope he goes on now to win it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

This is bollocks. He's always Scottish to me

This is bollocks. He's always Scottish to me

Because I was targeting specifically you with that comment :p

In the media it certainly is true. Sky Sports and even BBC are culpable to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Because I was targeting specifically you with that comment :p

In the media it certainly is true. Sky Sports and even BBC are culpable to it.

Yeah media is one thing but all may mates back home would call him Scottish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Same thing happens with Matthew Macklin he was called a British Battler by Sky before his fight over the weekend and then when he lost he was a Birmingham based Irishman .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Put a deposit on a new car for myself today well happy :) now I'm just impatient and want to drive it now.

Put a deposit on a new car for myself today well happy :) now I'm just impatient and want to drive it now.

Well done but come on...spill the beans.

adox wrote: »
    Well done but come on...spill the beans.

I put a deposit on this :), dying to get driving it but still going to miss my current car Honda Accord so mixed emotions :pac:.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/330I-E90/36213699288750250/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Let me guess...

delorean-ev-main.jpg

But I must point out you are posting this in the wrong decade.

good way to remember is there was no Internet in 1976

:pac:

I put a deposit on this :), dying to get driving it but still going to miss my current car Honda Accord so mixed emotions :pac:.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/330I-E90/36213699288750250/advert?channel=CARS

Nice!! Don't even want to think what the road tax on that engine is though. :eek:

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Nice!! Don't even want to think what the road tax on that engine is though. :eek:

Yeh it ain't pretty at all but I've managed to persuade myself I can justify it :).

Got the S3 going, some bit of kit! About 2 months too late, but I love SnapChat! :D

Any good App recommendations? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Got the S3 going, some bit of kit! About 2 months too late, but I love SnapChat! :D

WhatsApp is probably my most used. So long as you're connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot, free messaging between you and whatever friends have it too. After that, Voxer maybe, and Cabbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Welcome to the world of Android!

Here is a thread of must have apps and games.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dublin bus and Livescore apps are very useful (If you live in Dublin obviously)

Entertainment.ie have a handy cinema times app.

Hailo is great for getting taxis, but once again it's only in Dublin and Cork (I think)

I use Viber instead of Whatsapp for the most part, but their pretty much the same. Seem to remember Whatsapp saying they'll be introducing a charge, but I could be wrong on that.

AVG anti virus app has a couple of handy features.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Dublin bus and Livescore apps are very useful (If you live in Dublin obviously)

Entertainment.ie have a handy cinema times app.

Hailo is great for getting taxis, but once again it's only in Dublin and Cork (I think)

I use Viber instead of Whatsapp for the most part, but their pretty much the same. Seem to remember Whatsapp saying they'll be introducing a charge, but I could be wrong on that.

AVG anti virus app has a couple of handy features.
    I can't see Whatsapp charging to use it. It defeats the whole purpose of free texts. It would be a stupid move and result in people moving on to something else. Maybe a small charge to download the app initially but definitely not per text.

I use it more than anything. There's 9 of us in a group chat that has been going on for nearly 2 years now, it's kind of like a mini version of this site but with people I know. Slagging off about football, posting pictures, talking shíte about anything and everything.
    If they started charging that would be the end of that :(

I can't see Whatsapp charging to use it. It defeats the whole purpose of free texts. It would be a stupid move and result in people moving on to something else. Maybe a small charge to download the app initially but definitely not per text.

I use it more than anything. There's 9 of us in a group chat that has been going on for nearly 2 years now, it's kind of like a mini version of this site but with people I know. Slagging off about football, posting pictures, talking shíte about anything and everything.
    If they started charging that would be the end of that :(

I think it's a small initial charge, not a per message charge

I think it's a small initial charge, not a per message charge
    Ah right. Wouldn't be so bad. It's well worth a couple of € anyway.

Hailer is a great app for taxis apparently - downloaded it yesterday and hoping to use it this weekend - allows you to hail the nearest taxi to you and track it's progress via GPS

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    Hailer is a great app for taxis apparently - downloaded it yesterday and hoping to use it this weekend - allows you to hail the nearest taxi to you and track it's progress via GPS

Set up an account with it now so that you don't have to when you need to use it

This is amazing... and it's free :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This is amazing... and it's free :eek: :D

I remember reading about that ages ago but I had forgotten about it. Great to finally see a video!

Pokemon is the only reason I bought a Nintendo DS & 3DS. I don't have any other games for it :o.

Oat23 wrote: »
    I remember reading about that ages ago but I had forgotten about it. Great to finally see a video!

Pokemon is the only reason I bought a Nintendo DS & 3DS. I don't have any other games for it :o.

I'm a Pokemon Red/Blue kid. Borrowed it from someone well known here when he went on holiday for a couple of weeks back in 2000 :pac: Never understood the obsession that had swept the world.. until I played Red :o

Sure for the past few years I have had Pokemon Fire Red with the Gameboy Advance emulator downloaded that I use to play once a year from start to finish for like a couple of weeks :pac:

But seeing the Generations vid, it's been a long time coming to see a Pokemon game like this! I'll never understand why Nintendo have never committed to making a similar adventure, third person either MMO or single player game (with multiplayer trading at least). The amount of people that would pick up a Ninty console or handheld would be ridiculous.

Admittedly, I was tempted to pick up a 3DS for this alone but as I said, I'm a Red/Blue kid. I find past 150, well certainly the second generation a bit overkill.

Finally, a chance to top up the tan for holidays.

http://share.pho.to/2qRq5/original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Captain Robbie showing the boys how to dive over in the States for his 2nd PK.

bout 5m 30s in

• Advertisement

The step up for the peno and the celebration makes him seem like an ultimate bellend

I'm a Pokemon Red/Blue kid. Borrowed it from someone well known here when he went on holiday for a couple of weeks back in 2000 :pac: Never understood the obsession that had swept the world.. until I played Red :o

Sure for the past few years I have had Pokemon Fire Red with the Gameboy Advance emulator downloaded that I use to play once a year from start to finish for like a couple of weeks :pac:

But seeing the Generations vid, it's been a long time coming to see a Pokemon game like this! I'll never understand why Nintendo have never committed to making a similar adventure, third person either MMO or single player game (with multiplayer trading at least). The amount of people that would pick up a Ninty console or handheld would be ridiculous.

Admittedly, I was tempted to pick up a 3DS for this alone but as I said, I'm a Red/Blue kid. I find past 150, well certainly the second generation a bit overkill.

It's a pity Nintendo don't make PC games :(

Pokemon FireRed is the business, was playing it on an emulator. Tried playing the newer ones, just hate the new pokemon.

Mewtwo, Charizard and Gengar ftw :cool:

Pokemon Red will go down as one of my favourite games ever. Addicted ot it as a kid, and replayed it a load of times as I got older. Used to spend lunchtimes in primary school battling other people :p

Had Gold as well and enjoyed it, but even at that stage I though it was getting a bit ridiculous. Haven't played any since.

halolz-dot-com-pokemon-starterpokemoncomic.gif

Yes..this is one of the newest pokemon

Belter of a match between Djokovic and del Potro on atm.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement