Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Must visit Cork, sounds like an interesting country :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

IvySlayer wrote: »

We dont take kindly to strangers down around these parts, and the only people we hate more then people that arent from Cork is people actually from Cork.

/Spits in bucket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thought I'd break up the day by strolling across to the Subway and getting a bit of grub, nothing wrong with that, women in front proceeds to order 6 footlong subs.

Must have taken about 10 mins to get through her order for various people, if I wasnt so hungry and the fact I didnt trust the other fast food places I woudl have left.

Very frustrating I thought she was going to keep on ordering more and more as she scrolled through her phone.

Ha, brilliant! It's always the way.

Used to work in a bar weekends when in college and noticed that the number of people who would give you a 5/6 drink order one.drink.at.a.time would be through the roof. Painful stuff.
    We dont take kindly to strangers down around these parts, and the only people we hate more then people that arent from Cork is people actually from Cork.

/Spits in bucket.

Brilliant. Was referred to as an asylum seeker my first day working a proper job in Cork having finished college - Cork people are a different breed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Its a local county for local people.

the-local-shop.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jesus, the heavens have really opened here anyway, thunder and lightning to go with the rain. Monster puddly out the front of the house after only 5-10 mins of rain, starting to ease off now though. Nothing too bad to what we're used to in Ireland I suppose, but it's some turnaround after all the good weather we've been having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We've had a couple of downpours in Tuam but nothing like the city. No thunder yet anyway and the skies are blue at the moment. Ya could hear the thunder on Galway Bay FM!

Actually, I take that back. Very threatening clouds coming in over the back of the house now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mars Bar wrote: »
    We've had a couple of downpours in Tuam but nothing like the city. No thunder yet anyway and the skies are blue at the moment. Ya could hear the thunder on Galway Bay FM!

Jasus Tuam had one night out there a couple of years back there was fair few nutjobs walking around the place, seen one lad middle of the day having a full blown argument with himself in the street ended up in some nightclub were I'm convinced half the people in it were about 15 was a mad place were anything went :pac:.

Still nice enough around here not rain and warm as fook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Pitches could do with a couple days rain tbh.

It's just as well the water metering isn't in on our local pitch, sprinklers been going a lot!!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seems to be nice enough out in Maynooth so far. Wish it would cool down to be honest!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Ya a lot of the grass around the place has been scorched.

The rain is a welcome addition for the grounds people around the country I reckon.

Could be using the firm ground boots for the first few weeks of the season.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Haven't been to Galway since 1992 :o *runs away*

Which is weird as the family every now and again travelled to the west coast (Bundoran, Killarney and a couple of places in Cork namely) be it for holidays or to see family friends and stay over for a weekend with them when I was younger. Throw in the odd golf soc event and drinking sesh with friends, and still never ended up in Galway since then.

On the rain front, folks were saying on the phone a little while ago there was a drizzle earlier in the Blessington, Wicklow area but not a drop of rain other than that.

Ah Tuam, the fastest town in Ireland..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Haven't been to Galway since 1992 :o *runs away*

Ended up staying there twice last summer :p Once in the city with friends, other time out in the sticks in Leenaun with the family.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Ya a lot of the grass around the place has been scorched.

The rain is a welcome addition for the grounds people around the country I reckon.

Could be using the firm ground boots for the first few weeks of the season.

We're half way through our season, (Summer soccer in Kildare), bloody testing training and playing in the heat!!!

Jasus Tuam had one night out there a couple of years back there was fair few nutjobs walking around the place, seen one lad middle of the day having a full blown argument with himself in the street ended up in some nightclub were I'm convinced half the people in it were about 15 was a mad place were anything went :pac:.

Still nice enough around here not rain and warm as fook.

Yeah, we have a few loonies alright. Gives the place character!
    That was probably Geoghegan's ye were in. Right beside a Chinese?
    Al Capwned wrote: »
    Pitches could do with a couple days rain tbh.

It's just as well the water metering isn't in on our local pitch, sprinklers been going a lot!!!

Definitely. A pitch I played on two weeks ago was netted (?) and sanded recently and the ground was pure dry. This numpty here went for a slide tackle and I gave myself a good cut and I'm still bruised from my knee right down to my shin. I didn't think bruises traveled like that. I still can't kneel down (no jokes please :pac:).

Yeah, we have a few loonies alright. Gives the place character!
    That was probably Geoghegan's ye were in. Right beside a Chinese?

It certainly was a town full of character, had a good night all the same :).
    Yeh that does sound familiar, they had some singer on in the pub section beforehand called "The Buck" and there was poster everywhere saying "The Buck is Back" some mad James Brown wannabe.

Could have been Geoghegan's but it sounds like The Brogue ye were in. Buck Taylor usually plays there. Pub downstairs and a wannabe nightclub upstairs? Paintings of famous people on the walls and stuff. We've nicknamed it "The Creche" coz it's full of young ones. It is my favourite pub and is the football local. It's a Liverpool pub but has more United fans in it!

Could have been Geoghegan's but it sounds like The Brogue ye were in. Buck Taylor usually plays there. Pub downstairs and a wannabe nightclub upstairs? Paintings of famous people on the walls and stuff. We've nicknamed it "The Creche" coz it's full of young ones. It is my favourite pub and is the football local. It's a Liverpool pub but has more United fans in it!

Yeh that has to be it, your man Buck is a bit special ha, walked by us and we all just remember him saying randomly in his best accent while pointing at us " replace the B with and F what yo get?" It also seemed to be one them places were anything went and could basically do what ya wanted.

We grabbed a few people to get in photos had one of some fella who honestly looked no older than 14 drinking away in the place. Certainly a creche. But good craic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

It certainly was a town full of character, had a good night all the same :).
    Yeh that does sound familiar, they had some singer on in the pub section beforehand called "The Buck" and there was poster everywhere saying "The Buck is Back" some mad James Brown wannabe.

Buck Taylor I think you're talking about. I've seen him a few times in Enniscrone and he plays in Ballina too. He played at my mates wedding. Great craic.

Not as good as These Charming Men(Smith's tribute band) tho who played at my cousins wedding. Savage night altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Luther finished tonight.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

adox wrote: »
    Luther finished tonight.:(

Must start watching that. Need me some stringer bell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Must start watching that. Need me some stringer bell.

Thinking the same thing! One of my favourite characters in The Wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I hate race week.

You racist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I would love to be going to Galway for the races.

My favourite meeting I went to though was Aintree for many reasons. Some great meetings in English Flat season too some good craic to be had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

The most buoyant town in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I would love to be going to Galway for the races.

My favourite meeting I went to though was Aintree for many reasons. Some great meetings in English Flat season too some good craic to be had.

Quay Street can be absolutely wedged during Race Week in Galway.
    Some fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Panthro wrote: »
    Quay Street can be absolutely wedged during Race Week in Galway.
    Some fun!

I know couple of lads up there who have decent apartment so we normally crash at theirs. Not been there since 2011.

Ya its mental, although I am strange fish in that I dont mind big crowds for some reason.

I hate crowds. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I hate crowds. :(
    Crowds on the street don't bother me. I can see why a crowd in a hot pub might annoy people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Very touching story of a Feyenoord fan who was granted his last wish.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2377555/Feyenoord-fans-banner-tribute-terminally-ill-fan.html
    A terminally ill Feyenoord fan was given the greatest surprise of his life when he turned up to watch his side being put through their paces ahead of the new season.

Fans of the Dutch side traditionally turn up in numbers to watch the club's first pre-season training session, but this time there was a difference.

Lifelong fan Rooie Marck was told he had terminal cancer and had days to live, and his dying wish was to see Feyenoord again.

His friends brought him to the training session in his bed, but little did he know that the huge crowd would be chanting his name, lighting flares and unleashing a huge banner of him.
    article-2377555-1AFCAAF6000005DC-857_634x357.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Not as good as These Charming Men(Smith's tribute band) tho who played at my cousins wedding. Savage night altogether.

Ha, great band same. One of my favourite Smiths track that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Boards has its own My Little Pony forum? Eh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

How good is luther? I am not expecting the quality of the wire, but is it pretty good?

And Mustard and Bouncy Castles.

Boards has nearly everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

And Mustard and Bouncy Castles.

Boards has nearly everything.

It even has specific team forums! *Grabs coat and runs* :pac:

Feedback ---->

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Brony? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

gucci wrote: »
    How good is luther? I am not expecting the quality of the wire, but is it pretty good?
    It's brilliant.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

gucci wrote: »

I watched an episode a few weeks ago. Now coming from someone who doesn't watch TV shows these days. I must admit I found it quite enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I've watched the first season and the first 2 episodes of the second.

It's good, decent, worth a watch. Wouldn't go further than that. Idris Elba is excellent in it and I almost get the sense that he carries the show (i.e. with a mediocre main actor people may not have bothered tuning in).

My main criticism would be that too much stuff happens and there's not too much of an overriding season story arc. It doesn't build slow, it just jumps straight in and in the next episode it's a different case to be solved.

On the other hand, you won't be bored at least.

Not even close to the same league as The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos etc... but if you're looking for something to watch it's worth a shot imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Some pretty cool EA 360 degrees footage from a Whitecaps game here.
    http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/07/ea-360-virtual-experience

Does the term BPL annoy anyone here -
    I can only assume it means British?

But.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Barclays Premier League?

Barclays Premier League?

:o

Can't believe I never made that connection....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I hate when people say "Premiership " when talking about the "Premier League" .

Jax Teller wrote: »
    I hate when people say "Premiership " when talking about the "Premier League" .

Well in fairness it was known as the Premiership for a long time.
    A mate of mine still calls the league cup the 'Rumbelows'.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I'm currently getting BT Sports for free on Sky. Is this some introductory special offer or what's the craic?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement