Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

You's should try driving around in the sub continent countries like India and Banglandesh if you want to experience something out of Wacky races.

On a similar note, love to do the Top Gear challenge they did around Vietnam. Fantastic episode that.
    THFC wrote: »
    I am indeed, as bad as Dublin Bus is, its far better than buses in Galway. I'm in college in Dublin, and the most I've waited for a bus was about 25-30 minutes, I've often waited 40 minutes for a bus in Galway, and I've waited over an hour twice or three times. Ye don't know how well ye have it!!
    That said, I still hate the bus, luckily I'm on the Dart line in Dublin.

Try depending on the 65 bus (the ones that goes out to Blessington). I had too for a few years. Still gives me nightmare! If you miss that bus, you're waiting for over an hour for the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Hilarious reddit post - Whose Line Is It, r/soccer edition

9gLvH2N.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1jy638/whose_line_is_it_rsoccer_edition/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Anyone else play Words With Friends, I remember playing someone here a few months ago then got bored of it, I'm back now :D

that was me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Lads whats the crack with Setanta and BT? Is it just me or are they both showing the same games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm tryin to remember, there was a world cup match between Brazil I think and some other country, but the other countries government said the players would be executed if they lost like 4 nil.

Anyone or did I just dream this?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I'm tryin to remember, there was a world cup match between Brazil I think and some other country, but the other countries government said the players would be executed if they lost like 4 nil.

23141-tumblrm9rxcjOEZf1r5kyvmo1500gi-fBmn.gif

North Korea at WC2010 perhaps?

Nah, it was some middle eastern team 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Oranage2 wrote: »

Was it not North Korea a few years ago?

• Advertisement

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Was it not North Korea a few years ago?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

North Korea maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

North Korea, was it?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Thank f**k I made up my mind not to post in the GAA forum a long time ago. Wouldn't last a day in there as a Dublin man. If you think this place is bad for chip on the shoulder, sniping, vindictive muppets, it's not a patch on that place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Thank f**k I made up my mind not to post in the GAA forum a long time ago. Wouldn't last a day in there as a Dublin man. If you think this place is bad for chip on the shoulder, sniping, vindictive muppets, it's not a patch on that place.

You've obviously never seen a Dublin vs 'The Country' thread in AH....which is about what 90% of them descend into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Go on the Rebels boy!!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Go on the Rebels boy!!!!!:D
    I'm not all that bothered with the hurling to be honest. Obviously wanted them to win it but last week was the important one for me so stick that in your dirty rebel pipe and smoke it :pac:

Smoke all we want AI final here we come;)

Onn Limerick!

Onn Limerick!

I hope ye win next week. Fancy Clare though for some reason. Rather Limerick cause mum is Limerick woman. Be some craic at home for few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I have the (mis)fortune of having a father from Dublin and a Mother from Cork. Was born in Dublin too and lived there for a few years before we moved down South. Have to head back there soon for work too so was fairly neutral when it came to the game today.

Have always followed the Dubs for the football tbh, my Dad got me into it from an early age. Happy to see both counties doing well this year.

• Advertisement

Found it - It was Zaire Vs Brazil in the 74 world cup.

The Zaire president sent armed guards and said if they lost by more than 3 goals they wouldnt return home.

Youtube it, some crazy moments. Brazil were 3 nil up with a freekick just outside the box with 5 minutes to go.

Middle eastern 90s team.. Zaire in 1974.

Are you sure it wasn't North Korea? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Amazing picture of Bolt yesterday. Great work.

bolt12412354235235.jpg

100metres has become a joke.

You have to question most of them.

That sports documentary on 1988 100 metres is one of the best I have seen.

Bolt IMO is freak of nature but lot of them have taken the pills. Bolt hangs 100 metres in the balance now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

PSG Office rings
    Hello, this is Joe Kinnear from Newcastle United, can I talk to Marmalade Sackoo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

100metres has become a joke.

You have to question most of them.

That sports documentary on 1988 100 metres is one of the best I have seen.

Bolt IMO is freak of nature but lot of them have taken the pills. Bolt hangs 100 metres in the balance now.

If he has being juicing hes managed to find a way to avoid detection with the best doctors on the planet, I'd have to echo your thoughts and say hes just a pheonemal athlete, a once in a generation type really.

Hes still only 26 and if he won 3 100 & 200m in a row that would be absolutely crazy.

The guy who finsihed 2nd in London, Blake is it? Could be a challenger but if Bolt got his starts consistent he'd breeze nearly every race.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If he has being juicing hes managed to find a way to avoid detection with the best doctors on the planet, I'd have to echo your thoughts and say hes just a pheonemal athlete, a once in a generation type really.

Hes still only 26 and if he won 3 100 & 200m in a row that would be absolutely crazy.

The guy who finsihed 2nd in London, Blake is it? Could be a challenger but if Bolt got his starts consistent he'd breeze nearly every race.

Serious question mark over Blake for me.

Powell and Gay fail drugs tests and few days later he pulls out of Worlds. Serious question there. He failed drug test before for something similar to tuaminoheptane

But Carl Lewis is guy I detest the most down the years. Cried foul and the man was the biggest cheat of them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Cycling and athletics - two sports I grew up watching, and loved them both - Kelly and Roche were heroes for me, as was Sonia, McKiernan and more - just to see Irish people excel on the world stage was exciting for me as a young sports mad kid.

Trouble is that years of scandal have tainted both sports. Maybe even beyond repair.

Look at the top 10 cyclist of the last 15 years, and the top ten 100m runners over the same period - a definite pattern with the two lists.

Gay, Armstrong, Landis, Powell, Festina, Contador etc etc etc - all names that were at the top of the sport and proven to be cheats. Will Froome, Bolt, Wiggins et al be added to that list in years to come? The fact that question is even being asked is a bloody shame.

Serious question mark over Blake for me.

Powell and Gay fail drugs tests and few days later he pulls out of Worlds. Serious question there. He failed drug test before for something similar to tuaminoheptane

But Carl Lewis is guy I detest the most down the years. Cried foul and the man was the biggest cheat of them all

Ya I've read about Blake, he was banned by the Jamaicans as what he had tested positive for wasnt on the Anti doping list, a brave step to ban one fo your one.

Had to Goggle it but it was back in '09, I've no doubt that had Bolt not being DQ'd from the WC in 2011 Blake wouldnt have won Gold and the fact hes out injured for this WC some what taints Bolt win as he really is his main contender at this stage.

If its a genuine injury then its understandable, a hamstring injury for a sprinter depending on severity, could ruin your career and build up to an event.

Surely guys like Blake, who would be a risk given previous problems, would be tested in the off season too and coming into these events, you'd imagine that would be the case anyway.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Cycling and athletics - two sports I grew up watching, and loved them both - Kelly and Roche were heroes for me, as was Sonia, McKiernan and more - just to see Irish people excel on the world stage was exciting for me as a young sports mad kid.

Trouble is that years of scandal have tainted both sports. Maybe even beyond repair.

Look at the top 10 cyclist of the last 15 years, and the top ten 100m runners over the same period - a definite pattern with the two lists.

Gay, Armstrong, Landis, Powell, Festina, Contador etc etc etc - all names that were at the top of the sport and proven to be cheats. Will Froome, Bolt, Wiggins et al be added to that list in years to come? The fact that question is even being asked is a bloody shame.

Hate saying it, but I have my doubts about team sky. I have more doubts about Wiggins over Froome too.

We have had our own cheats in our time sadly. Smith being the most high profile.

Those Chinese girls who came in 1,2,3 in Worlds in 1993 that beat Sonia and never to be seen again goes down as one of the greatest unsolved scandals of all time. that was a joke.

Rice me hole!!

• Advertisement

Very true and good points about athletics and cycling, there is a seperate thread here for potential doping in football but I'd be very surprised if it isnt exposed over the coming years too, its gotten to a stage where the rewards for success is so high there must be people out there willing to take the chance and dope.

You'd wonder do teams invest in the possibility of finding ways to mask PED's in tests.

Everything comes out in the end.

If or when the exposures do come out I just hope it aint as bad as I fear.

Yeah, i've been following the doping in football thread, and like Kew said I hope that when stuff does start coming out, that it'll not taint the sport in the same way that it has done others...

As for teams investing in masking PED's, i think it's practically certain. And will continue to be as long as the rewards outweigh the risks and the costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Once doping comes to light in football, I have a feeling the great past teams and players will fall like dominos. Spanish and Italian teams especially. I've been following Giggs-Boson on twitter and some of the stuff that went on is crazy, most notably the whole Fuentes case. I kind of wish I hadn't looked into the whole doping in football though, it has dampened my view on the sport considerably.

THFC wrote: »
    Once doping comes to light in football, I have a feeling the great past teams and players will fall like dominos. Spanish and Italian teams especially. I've been following Giggs-Boson on twitter and some of the stuff that went on is crazy, most notably the whole Fuentes case. I kind of wish I hadn't looked into the whole doping in football though, it has dampened my view on the sport considerably.

On Fuentes, any football team or individuals invovled with him will inevitably be a cause for huge concern.

It would be interesting to hear his take on the Spanish WC squad of 2010 though and see if theres truth in what he syas or if its all hot air.

The truth will come out.

It may take 10 years, even 20 years, but it always does.

That's of course if its true about these Spanish players.

Innocent till proven guilty tbf.

Best of luck to all the members of the soccer forum getting LC results tomorrow! We'll be grand!

Best of luck to all the members of the soccer forum getting LC results tomorrow! We'll be grand!

Good Luck Copper and others.

and if any of ye dont get what ye were hoping its not the end of the world believe me.

• Advertisement

Good Luck Copper and others.

and if any of ye dont get what ye were hoping its not the end of the world believe me.

Exactly this lads - maybe too much emphasis put on LC..

The most successful person I went to school with got a stinker of a leaving cert, remember him being devestated the day of the results.

Think he has about 50-odd people working for him now....

Exactly this lads - maybe too much emphasis put on LC..

The most successful person I went to school with got a stinker of a leaving cert, remember him being devestated the day of the results.

Think he has about 50-odd people working for him now....

same here knew a lad that got 85 points. Now qualified accountant.

know few more examples.

same here knew a lad that got 85 points. Now qualified accountant.

Yuck. I think he was better off with the 85 points!

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Yuck. I think he was better off with the 85 points!

he is on serious money though. well going by his house, car and holidays he takes. He maybe doing bit of drug business you never know:pac:

he is on serious money though. well going by his house, car and holidays he takes. He maybe doing bit of drug business you never know:pac:

So ye're all not drug running on the side nah? :confused:

So ye're all not drug running on the side nah? :confused:

NO;)

• Advertisement

Wait a minute...

Ive a flight to catch from Dublin on WEdnesday week, now I'm getting the train up with a buddy and we've about 2 hours before our flight leaves to get out to the airport.

We should be in Dublin for just before 12pm, how long does it usually take the Aircoach to get our to the Airport from Heuston or are we better off getting a cab out and how much would it cost roughly?

If the Aircoach takes anything up to an hour we'd be hard pressed for time I reckon so just looking for opinions, thanks. :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ive a flight to catch from Dublin on WEdnesday week, now I'm getting the train up with a buddy and we've about 2 hours before our flight leaves to get out to the airport.

We should be in Dublin for just before 12pm, how long does it usually take the Aircoach to get our to the Airport from Heuston or are we better off getting a cab out and how much would it cost roughly?

If the Aircoach takes anything up to an hour we'd be hard pressed for time I reckon so just looking for opinions, thanks. :D

Get a taxi (that's what we call them here). No question. Bus will just have you stressed out. Or get an earlier train if you can.

Cost, no idea, 30 squids at a total guess.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Get a taxi (that's what we call them here). No question. Bus will just have you stressed out. Or get an earlier train if you can.

Might just go for the train leaving an hour earlier at this rate, less stress and more time to get to the airport.

PauloMN wrote: »

it used to be only 20-25 minutes. I used to live only 5 minutes from Heuston it was 6 euro and was very handy for me as used to get flights over for games and ex lived in Liverpool.

Now it goes all over the place and takes about 50minutes to hour.

If you have 2 hours to spare(once you're not checking in luggage) you will be fine.

Otherwise a taxi. Should be no more than 30 quid in total. Usually around 25 from station.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement