Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

it used to be only 20-25 minutes. I used to live only 5 minutes from Heuston it was 6 euro and was very handy for me as used to get flights over for games and ex lived in Liverpool.

Now it goes all over the place and takes about 50minutes to hour.

If you have 2 hours to spare(once you're not checking in luggage) you will be fine.

Otherwise a taxi. Should be no more than 30 quid in total. Usually around 25 from station.

There'll be no bags, straight off the train onto a bus or into a taxi if we cant get an earlier train.

Going over for the Chelsea v Villa game and all things considered (Train, Aircoach,Plane) it was about 100 quid each cheaper to fly from Dublin then Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

GavRedKing wrote: »
    There'll be no bags, straight off the train onto a bus or into a taxi if we cant get an earlier train.

Going over for the Chelsea v Villa game and all things considered (Train, Aircoach,Plane) it was about 100 quid each cheaper to fly from Dublin then Cork.

If you have 2 hours to spare when get to Dublin Aircoach will be fine.

If in doubt get taxi.

Oh and you maybe already know this, but train tickets to Dublin are much cheaper online. You could possibly save up to 60-70 euro between ye booking online. You might already know this just saying it in case you dont.(depending on times etc)

Train tickets are rip off if dont book online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Ive a flight to catch from Dublin on WEdnesday week, now I'm getting the train up with a buddy and we've about 2 hours before our flight leaves to get out to the airport.

We should be in Dublin for just before 12pm, how long does it usually take the Aircoach to get our to the Airport from Heuston or are we better off getting a cab out and how much would it cost roughly?

If the Aircoach takes anything up to an hour we'd be hard pressed for time I reckon so just looking for opinions, thanks. :D

Get the bus. :pac:

actually ya bus is hell of lot cheaper.:)

Its 5 hours though, isn't it? Worst bus route ever.

actually fook that get train:pac::pac::pac:

If you have 2 hours to spare when get to Dublin Aircoach will be fine.

If in doubt get taxi.

Oh and you maybe already know this, but train tickets to Dublin are much cheaper online. You could possibly save up to 60-70 euro between ye booking online. You might already know this just saying it in case you dont.(depending on times etc)

Train tickets are rip off if dont book online.

Oh ya I'll definitely be booking the tickets online.

The buddy has an awful record travelling on buses on any longish journey so it'll have to be the train.

just checked there and its only 30 return for the 21st / 22nd, on the earlyish trains.

Is it? Jaysus thats horrific. :eek:

Nah it'll have to be train as I just said, I'd drive up but petrol will cost north of 80 quid.

actually fook that get train:pac::pac::pac:

Its a pain alright. What about the Aircoach Gav? Goes from Patricks Quay right to the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

actually ya bus is hell of lot cheaper.:)

Don't do it. I've done that journey (return) many a time. It is hell on earth.

• Advertisement

Oh ya I'll definitely be booking the tickets online.

The buddy has an awful record travelling on buses on any longish journey so it'll have to be the train.

just checked there and its only 30 return for the 21st / 22nd, on the earlyish trains.

much better than paying I think its 72euro if wait to buy them at ticket office on the day that is for sure.

Train prices are a joke these days.

/rant over:P

much better than paying I think its 72euro if wait to buy them at ticket office on the day that is for sure.

Train prices are a joke these days.

/rant over:P

I remember going on holiday about 5/6 years ago and my buddy got the tickets online for 6 euro return.

I still cant figure out how it gave him an option for 3euro each way but said nothing and got the tickets punched at the gate and by the conductor both ways, no questions asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Would you not drive down and park in airport. 8 quid for 24 hours

RasTa wrote: »
    Would you not drive down and park in airport. 8 quid for 24 hours

Its my birthday on the Wednesday before we fly so gonna get " merry " before the game and head out in London that night.

Flight lands back in Dublin at 9am next morning, I'd say I'll still be over the limit at that stage and wouldnt risk it, couple that with a monotonous 2 1/2 hour drive back down, it could be a bad idea.

Its my birthday on the Wednesday before we fly so gonna get " merry " before the game and head out in London that night.

Flight lands back in Dublin at 9am next morning, I'd say I'll still be over the limit at that stage and wouldnt risk it, couple that with a monotonous 2 1/2 hour drive back down, it could be a bad idea.

Wise choice.

The road must be the most boring 2 1/2 drive you will get.

When I drove home last Christmas eve it was a Monday and was out night before had get up for work then driving home and nearly dosed off at wheel even with windows up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

The 16 from O' Connell street takes about an hour and that stops on every bend on the road, surely the Air Coach takes less than that?? 747 goes direct I think, and I think it takes the Port tunnel (open to correction on that though).

THFC wrote: »
    The 16 from O' Connell street takes about an hour and that stops on every bend on the road, surely the Air Coach takes less than that?? 747 goes direct I think, and I think it takes the Port tunnel (open to correction on that though).

Was looking at Dublis Bus website and the 747 seems to have about 15 stops, last one is the Point Village before it goes onto the Airport. Id hope that Wednesday midday traffic wont be too heavy and we wont be held up too much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Aircoach is 28 return on the day, was up at Dublin airport at the weekend, took 3.5 hours from Patrick's Quay up.

Think it was about 30/40 mins to get to to airport on the Aircoach from the train station, there is a Dublin bus 747 that goes out to the airport as well. 6 euro. Any train trip from 10am starts at 14.99 one way, booked them for my trip to London at the end of the month. I got caught badly by Irish Rail, came into Dublin for a meeting and had time to get home, 50 euro one way to get to Mallow! Cost on the day is ridiculous, totally agree!!

Flights from Dublin were much cheaper - ended up flying BA, pretty much the same price but with 23kg free luggage allowance!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Aircoach straight from Cork to Dublin Airport..something like €20 return has to be the cheapest. Get it at 9am, you'll be in the airport for 12.30-1pm

3hrs 30 minutes, it can get stuck in Drumcondra/Dorset St. in rush hour traffic, but you should be fine on a Wednesday morning.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the options and opinions lads, great inputs. :)

8am train booked 14.99Euro, change at Mallow, arriving in Hueston at 10:48, going to get the 747 at 11am and hopefully be in the airport in and around 12pm. flight is at 2:40pm.

On another note, come on Rob Heffernan in the 50km walk, doing very, very well so far.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Cheers for the options and opinions lads, great inputs. :)

8am train booked 14.99Euro, change at Mallow, arriving in Hueston at 10:48, going to get the 747 at 11am and hopefully be in the airport in and around 12pm. flight is at 2:40pm.

Drinking time as well...... result! :)

PauloMN wrote: »
    Drinking time as well...... result! :)

That was a deal breaker alright, few drinks on the train, nothing to heavy considering we've a long day ahead of us but we'll manage anyway. :cool:

Heffernan update, leading with about 30mins left to go, about 10seconds ahead and has 1 warning, looking very good at the moment.

The Aussie guy is coming through strong though and is closing on 2nd.

5km to go, about 12 seconds up on 2nd.

• Advertisement

2nd warnign for Heffernan but hes about 15-18secs up at the moment, hes going to have to be very careful now, 1 more and its a DQ.

2nd warnign for Heffernan but hes about 15-18secs up at the moment, hes going to have to be very careful now, 1 more and its a DQ.

Its now being confirmed its only 1 warning onthe officials board and with about 10mins left to go hes opened up a 27sec lead.

Be an absolute great result after 4th in London and a new Irish record looks ont he cards if he keeps the pace up.

Heffernan wins gold, 3:37:56.

Delighted for him, well done Rob.

Up the rebels boy!!!! What a week for Cork!!

Up the rebels boy!!!! What a week for Cork!!

1st Irish gold in the WC since Sonia back in '95 I think.

Excellent result after the Olympics last year for Rob and knowing his training and dedication to the sport, he truly deserves it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Just popped in here to say well done to Heffernan. Seen a documentary on him a while back and his dedication and commitment stood out for me. Genuinely delighted for him, especially after the 4th place in London last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I shall be on the beer tonight :)

I shall be on the beer tonight :)

Happy with the results?? :D

Didnt get the maths requirement for the first choice and fell 15 short but had 75 to spare for the second choice! 375 :D

Excellent, you deserve the odd beer or ten tonight so. :cool:

cough cough underage cough cough ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

But you'll still be drinking right???

FamilyGuyHerbert.jpg

Congrats Copper.

I got hammered the weekend after my Junior Cert results never mind Leaving.:pac:

Few nagins, be grand. ;)

What we done actually was, one of the lads got us all down to his house about 60/70 between our 6th year and the girls 6th year and had a drinks there before town, few parents were there as well so it wasnt messy but it was a good day actually.

Enjoy it anyway wherever or whatever ya get up to.

Congrats Copper.

I got hammered the weekend after my Junior Cert results never mind Leaving.:pac:

I was on Holidays in Spain when I got mine over the phone from the neighbour, had one or two sneaky vodkas and a day of regret afterwards, good times. :pac:

• Advertisement

Think we're heading to BallyBunion tonight! I'll dedicate a pint to ye lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Fair play Copper... Enjoy the night.

17 years to the day after I got my LC results, I just dropped my daughter off at the same school for an introduction morning.... :D

Think we're heading to BallyBunion tonight! I'll dedicate a pint to ye lads!

One word of advice, dont use Boards while drunk, it'll never end well.

Enjoy it mate.

One word of advice, dont use Boards while drunk, it'll never end well.

Enjoy it mate.

*Bookmarks post*

I was on Holidays in Spain when I got mine over the phone from the neighbour, had one or two sneaky vodkas and a day of regret afterwards, good times. :pac:

Would you believe I got my results over the phone from School prinicpial too and I was in Gran Canaria.

The day before I got sunburn to death having the girls I was with putting yogurt on my back as I was so red:pac:

I was happy enough with results so made the rest of the holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Heffernan wins gold, 3:37:56.

Delighted for him, well done Rob.

Ridiculous time for walking 50k's. I'd be happy with that in a marathon and that's 42k

Ridiculous time for walking 50k's. I'd be happy with that in a marathon and that's 42k

Ya when you think of it that way, its crazy.

Enjoy your night copper. My results night was a big blur, was 40 points off my first choice and decided to feel sorry for myself by drinking from about 12pm as I was literally the closest student to the school with a few of the other lads from my year. The whole year went knacker drinking I got very very messy. I actually woke up in my neighbors garden the next morning beside her tree and I was woken up by her coming out to do her grass. She was in her 60s but still seen the funny side of it, needless to say my dad wanted to kick **** out of me. Good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Congrats from my side as well. Have a nice day and enjoy yourself :)

• Advertisement

I've been lucky enough to met him a few times over the years, hes one of my best buddies, brother-in-law.

We were at the gym one day going back maybe 2/3 years ago and the pace he was putting down on the treadmill was scary, I mean it would have been difficult to keep going full pelt and those guys are doing it for 50km.

It really is one of, if not the most difficult Olympic events, to cover that distance and master the technique also and not breaking the rules is a very tough ask.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement