Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

THFC wrote: »
    There is no wrong pick, 3 of the best TV series' of all time.

Anyone else watch the American House of Cards? Watched it myself at the start of summer, was brilliant I thought, Spacey excellent as usual.

yep watched it. Excellent show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I'll probably start watching it tonight so :D

No never got around to it but I'll definitely start this week!

I'll put that on my list to watch as well so. What about Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.. anyone recommend them?

GoT is brilliant. I started reading the books recently as well but it looks like that's gonna take the rest of my life.

Haven't seen The Walking Dead....zombies do nothing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

THFC wrote: »
    There is no wrong pick, 3 of the best TV series' of all time.

Anyone else watch the American House of Cards? Watched it myself at the start of summer, was brilliant I thought, Spacey excellent as usual.

Indeed its very good. I keep meaning to watch Sopranos but I never seem to want to get started on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not really a zombie fan either but I'd recommend TWD, they are pretty much secondary in it. It can be hit and miss though, and I would recommend the comics much more than the TV show.

As said GOT is brilliant, the penultimate episode of Season 3 is one of the best pieces of TV ever, normally I would prefer the source material over the adaptation but I think this is one instance where the show bests the book.

Am currently on the first watch of The Sopranos....Just up to halfway on season 5, and I love that it just moves at it's own pace and whole episodes can be dedicated to character development. Recent episodes have also provided me with two of the best laughs I have had in a while......
    AJ getting his eyebrows shaved/face stuck to the carpet....and Uncle Junior thinking 'Curb your enthusiasm' was his life on TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I've never watched an episode of The Wire or Breaking Bad or Sopranos :P

Which one would be better to start with?

That is the most disgraceful comment to come out of a human's mouth ever.

You should actually be ashamed of yourself.

I would actually eat a kitten to be able to was those all again fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Turtyturd wrote: »

As said GOT is brilliant, the penultimate episode of Season 3 is one of the best pieces of TV ever, normally I would prefer the source material over the adaptation but I think this is one instance where the show bests the book.

I'm still :eek: :eek:

Search for reaction videos on Youtube! Some of them are classic!

Al Capwned wrote: »
    I'm still :eek: :eek:

Search for reaction videos on Youtube! Some of them are classic!

Have seen some of them, there was a pretty good list of the top 100 twitter reactions going around a while back too.

I am normally a pretty laid back when it comes to TV shows but this (obviously don't read if you haven't watched.....I don't wanna be that guy)
    actually made me angry and had to whole thing running through my head for days......so much so that I couldn't even enjoy Catelyn 'The C***' Stark getting her comeuppence.

Have seen some of them, there was a pretty good list of the top 100 twitter reactions going around a while back too.

Must have a look for that list!!

Really DONT READ THE SPOILER if you havent seen it guys...

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Must have a look for that list!!

Really DONT READ THE SPOILER if you havent seen it guys...

http://io9.com/the-100-best-tweets-about-last-nights-game-of-thrones-511003444

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I am normally a pretty laid back when it comes to TV shows but this (obviously don't read if you haven't watched.....I don't wanna be that guy)
    actually made me angry and had to whole thing running through my head for days......so much so that I couldn't even enjoy Catelyn 'The C***' Stark getting her comeuppence.

The second part of ASOS is seriously good. :)

The second part of ASOS is seriously good. :)

Finished it a few days ago....it doesn't let up, but the Epilogue took a bit of a shine off it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I've never watched an episode of The Wire or Breaking Bad or Sopranos :P

Which one would be better to start with?

Me neither!

I'm gonna watch BB though because I bought a T-Shirt that has the Minions from Despicable Me disguised as the two main characters of BB. I'm gonna look like a fool if someone says, "Oh you're a Breaking Bad fan too!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Anyone watch suits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Me neither!

I'm gonna watch BB though because I bought a T-Shirt that has the Minions from Despicable Me disguised as the two main characters of BB. I'm gonna look like a fool if someone says, "Oh you're a Breaking Bad fan too!".

Qwertee? :D

nicklauski wrote: »
    Qwertee? :D

Yes! :D

• Advertisement

Me neither!

You're one of those people who wear Ramones tshirts being able to name a song. :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I need to block Qwertee or something, too many amazing t shirts.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

You're one of those people who wear Ramones tshirts being able to name a song. :pac:

Am not! I played Blitzkrieg Bop and Bonzo Goes To Bitsburg in a band I was in. :cool:

I don't want to become one of those so the t-shirt is a great excuse.

Anyone watch suits?

Team Litt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Anyone watch suits?
    You just got Litt up

• Advertisement

Qwertee costing me a bloody fortune!!!

Am not! I played Blitzkrieg Bop and Bonzo Goes To Bitsburg in a band I was in. :cool:

I don't want to become one of those so the t-shirt is a great excuse.

I jest :D....my sister is one of those people though. And the popularity of superhero tshirts with people who have most likely never picked up a comic is more annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Suits is very easy watching. Really enjoy it, but obviously it can't be compared to The Wire/The Sopranos etc.

Archer is another one I would say is easy watching. Absolutely love that show.

My guilty shame: I finished season 4 of Sopranos around five months ago. Got really busy and let off season five for a while. Still haven't started it :o

*Runs away*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I have an awesome Pokemon t shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I have an awesome 'Dortmund til I die' t shirt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Finished it a few days ago....it doesn't let up, but the Epilogue took a bit of a shine off it for me.

Really? I really liked it.
    Not a spoiler, but I can't wait to see that part in the show, there will be a tonne of reaction vids to it as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hold up, now I'ma let you all finish, but Christian Bale was one of the best Batmen of all time

Proceed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Hold up, now I'ma let you all finish, but Christian Bale was one of the best Batmen of all time

Proceed

No denying that.
    Keaton went down hill after the first. Kilmer or Clooney couldnt match the eccentricity that Keaton brought to Bruce/Batman.
    Terrible scripts didnt help them either.

I say give Affleck a chance. Too many people quick to write him off already.

Much like when Ledger got the role of the Joker.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Over-saturation of superhero movies the last 5 years or so tbh, can't say it really excites me.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Really? I really liked it.
    Not a spoiler, but I can't wait to see that part in the show, there will be a tonne of reaction vids to it as well

I think I might just be letting my dislike of the character involved affect my opinion of it.
    It should be the last scene of series four though.

On Bale as the best Batman...not really much competition when the next best is animated.

Looking forward to Affleck....I would have rathered see him play DD again though.

• Advertisement

Kevin Conroy is the only Batman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Kevin Conroy is the only Batman.

Yes! Although Bale played a fantastic Bruce Wayne imo.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Yes! Although Bale played a fantastic Bruce Wayne imo.

I know it would never happen, but imagine if they could just dub over Affleck's Batman voice with Conroy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Over-saturation of superhero movies the last 5 years or so tbh, can't say it really excites me.

Recession has Hollywood desperate for guaranteed crowd getters and nothing does that better than superhero movies.

Ant-man or Guardians of the Galaxy will be the turning point for their popularity I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I have a friend in near mental breakdown after he heard Batman news today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I have a friend in near mental breakdown after he heard Batman news today.

Jaysus, that's fairly pathetic. You'd swear it was like when Robbie left Take That, now that was real trauma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Affleck is a great actor, a big fan of the material too I think. His creative influence might be of help to Snyder too. Opinion on him is skewed due to his relationship with JLo and Pearl Harbor, even though Damon was in that one too and not treated with the same disdain.

k7dTaLj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Liam O wrote: »
    Affleck is a great actor, a big fan of the material too I think. His creative influence might be of help to Snyder too. Opinion on him is skewed due to his relationship with JLo and Pearl Harbor, even though Damon was in that one too and not treated with the same disdain.

I don't think people doubt his acting chops at all really, but i like many just don't think he suited to the role of Batman he could suprise but I wouldn't be delighted at the prospect.

You would think The Dark Knight had taught people not to get so worked up when they don't agree with a casting decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

You would think The Dark Knight had taught people not to get so worked up when they don't agree with a casting decision.

I don't know I never had a problem with Heath Ledger at all, he always took on challenging roles and immersed himself in it. He is amazing in Candy.

But Affleck always plays the same kind of character same mannerisms never really truly challenges himself in the same way Heath Ledger did. I like a lot of Afflecks films but can't see him as Batman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya Heath Ledger was very good alright. Underrated before Batman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Liam O wrote: »

Damon wasn't in Pearl Harbour, you're thinking of Josh Hartnett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Damon wasn't in Pearl Harbour, you're thinking of Josh Hartnett.

Ha, so long since I've seen it I always just assumed it was Damon :o

As for suitability for the role, I can easily picture him as a smarmy Bruce Wayne interacting with Superman. I haven't seen Man of Steel yet though admittedly. In the suit it's actually I'd say a lot easier to be convincing and he has a good build for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

MATT DAMON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

"Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi arrives in Saudi Arabia for a promotional event."

:D Look at his face!
    ScGz1zr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Well he does have a gun in it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Charlotte Jackson has got engaged to Chris coleman

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement