Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

The amount of adverts they show before a movie in the cinema is a joke. Seems to be more every time I go. Last night really took the piss. The movie had a 21:40 start time but between ads and a few trailers it didn't start until 22:00.

20 minutes of advertisement is f**king ridiculous. Just when you think the ads are finally over and the trailers (ads too) start, they squeeze more ads in between the trailers. Pathetic.
    You would think they would be making enough money on their extortionate prices for snacks and drinks.
    It actually turned me off going again.

#FirstWorldProblems

FYP :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I want new rules for the Cinema

1: You can't get in after the movie starts

2: Noisy sweet packets, popcorn bags, sucking/flicking on straws = banned

3: If your phone goes off, you're out

4: You talk, you're out

5: If you have a cough, don't go to the cinema

Can I add one more rule to that?

Taking your phone out to text, check or mess on is punishable by death. Had one woman sat next to me one night in the cinema who had her phone out blinding me every 5 mins :mad: until I said something.

Also I like the trailers, ads are annoying though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I want new rules for the Cinema

1: You can't get in after the movie starts

2: Noisy sweet packets, popcorn bags, sucking/flicking on straws = banned

3: If your phone goes off, you're out

4: You talk, you're out

5: If you have a cough, don't go to the cinema

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/movie_theater_layout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Can I add one more rule to that?

Taking your phone out to text, check or mess on is punishable by death. Had one woman sat next to me one night in the cinema who had her phone out blinding me every 5 mins :mad: until I said something.

Also I like the trailers, ads are annoying though.

I had a guy who finished his popcorn and drink 10 mins in, instead of throwing the bag under the seat he kept it in his lap and scrunched it into a ball every minute or so. After finishing his drink he thought it was fun to play the ice cubes in his drink by stirring them, followed by flicking his straw and coughing a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

TheTownie wrote: »
    FYP :P
    Sorry, i know you're probably joking but that's a bit of a bugbear of mine. If someone is charging me money for a service and I'm not happy with it, I've every right to be angry and pissed off and not keep my mouth shut because someone in Africa has no food or water.

Keno wrote: »
    The last couple of times they have shown adverts for Breaking Bad including footage from the ending of season 4. I was sitting next to one of my friends who started the show late. Ridiculous.
    I was only saying that last night. Loads of spoilers in that ad if you are not very far into it.

I had a guy who finished his popcorn and drink 10 mins in, instead of throwing the bag under the seat he kept it in his lap and scrunched it into a ball every minute or so. After finishing his drink he thought it was fun to play the ice cubes in his drink by stirring them, followed by flicking his straw and coughing a lot.
    I would have strangled him with his own legs.

There was some fully grown man screaming like a little girl every few minutes last night too. Funny the first time but it got old very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ivy I have to ask you about your sig

you make assumptions, these assumptions wont hold up in a court of law

Headshot wrote: »

you make assumptions, these assumptions wont hold up on law

Ohh ye forgot about that

I did it after this but you didn't notice it til now :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

notice what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Headshot wrote: »

you make assumptions, these assumptions wont hold up in a court of law

Overruled. I'll allow it.

judge-judy.jpg

Anyone else get flooded with people from work begging to swap shifts? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Anyone else get flooded with people from work begging to swap shifts? :P

You're a noob.

Keno wrote: »
    You're a noob.

oh yeahh

1 v 1

fite me

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I see the Go Ahead Eagles forum is inaccessible. Is it finally being put out of its misery?

I accidentally clicked on it instead of soccer in case you're wondering why I was on the GAE forum :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I see the Go Ahead Eagles forum is inaccessible. Is it finally being put out of its misery?

I accidentally clicked on it instead of soccer in case you're wondering why I was on the GAE forum :p

They're in the Eredivisie now, too mainstream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Passed my driving test this morning! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mars Bar wrote: »

Congratulations,first time pass?

zerks wrote: »
    Congratulations,first time pass?

Thanks!

Yep. Only just though. One more grade two and I'd have failed. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Sorry, i know you're probably joking but that's a bit of a bugbear of mine. If someone is charging me money for a service and I'm not happy with it, I've every right to be angry and pissed off and not keep my mouth shut because someone in Africa has no food or water.

Good,I'm glad someone else said it because that First world problems thing is one of the most annoying things ever.

Yes it's a first world problem because we live in the "first world" ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Congratulations :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Cool. Delighted for you :)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Congrats.

You done the right thing and not telling anyone (on here in anyways).

many moons ago when I passed mine I told no one, and I mean no one that I was sitting it.
    It took some pressure off and when I walked into the sitting room (living in mams then) and told them I had just passed my driving test they hardly believed me, but it took convincing the girlfriend (wife now) at the time about why I kept it such a secret.

Luckily I passed it first time.

Yeah I kept it quiet apart from the people closest to me! It just takes the pressure off and nobody needs to know if you failed. Thankfully, I passed first time too.

Yeah I kept it quiet apart from the people closest to me! It just takes the pressure off and nobody needs to know if you failed. Thankfully, I passed first time too.

And now, everyone is asking you for a lift? ;)

They are!

My sister and her boyfriend are back from England for a few days and I told her I passed the test. First thing she said was "Aw no way, will you bring us to the cinema tomorrow?".

They are!

My sister and her boyfriend are back from England for a few days and I told her I passed the test. First thing she said was "Aw no way, will you bring us to the cinema tomorrow?".

Ah well...so I better not dare for a lift to Derry next Tuesday? ;)

You are better off keeping it quiet....when I did mine it was because I needed it for work so they organised it and everyone knew. Ended up failing for coasting and was embarrassed walking back in and having to tell everyone I failed. To make it even worse another bloke in the company who was so bad at driving that he eventually wasn't allowed drive for the company anymore passed his first time...so I had to put up with all that slagging. It made me determined to pass the next one....and never tell anyone when it was, which I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

On the subject of driving tests, I've just been provisionally booked in for lessons for my 'C' Licence.

Have to go do a theory test first though, as I got my full 'B' licence before it came in! Just done a quick online one for the craic, and got 36, but am going to get book and proper pack tomorrow.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    On the subject of driving tests, I've just been provisionally booked in for lessons for my 'C' Licence.

Have to go do a theory test first though, as I got my full 'B' licence before it came in! Just done a quick online one for the craic, and got 36, but am going to get book and proper pack tomorrow.

Is the theory test the same for a 'C' licence as a 'B'? If so you should be grand without too much study. Common sense mainly. Best of luck anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Sitting my theory test on Saturday. About time really.

Is the theory test the same for a 'C' licence as a 'B'? If so you should be grand without too much study. Common sense mainly. Best of luck anyway.

Cheers.
    Nah it's a standard test. Reason I have to do it is that I got my full B licence in 2001 before it came into law. No new licences can be issued without having a theory test completed.

The whole licencing thing was ****ed up until a few years ago tbh. My auld fella can drive anything on the road from a moped to an artic, and he's never done a test - licences were just handed out to reduce numbers on waiting lists. He can hardly handle my van, i shudder to think what he'd be capable of in an artic! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

My Nan is the same, shes not on the road now a days but a couple of years ago we had called her Nana 3rd gear, never managed to get out of 3rd, woudlnt go on any dual carriageway and if the speed limit was 100/80 she'd be doing easily 20/30 under it.

She was of the generation when they just handed out licenses as well, which is scary to think really.

The old theory test where by you answered 40 questions and could just get in a car and drive was mad, I was lucky that my dads buddy was an instructor so soon as I pased my theory I got in a few lessons, the idea you could answer questions and be free to drive a car afterwards is absurd.

I'll be driving 2 years in December, got a full D/L last October. Annoys me it took me so long to do it. I literally couldn't live without a car now!

Yeah, I had one lesson the morning of my test, and went and done the test then, having not done any beforehand. Passed it, but it was no way to prepare for a test. The current system is much better.

At least with the licences for trucks etc, you also need to have a CPC (Certificate of Professional Competency), and you must do 35 hours of periodic training over the next five years to keep it.

I think I'm just over 7 years since June, its either 6 or 7, I'd have to check my license to be sure, once I got into it my only regret was not starting earlier TBH although I'm not sure if I would have been mature enough at 17/18 to start.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Yeah, I had one lesson the morning of my test, and went and done the test then, having not done any beforehand. Passed it, but it was no way to prepare for a test. The current system is much better.

At least with the licences for trucks etc, you also need to have a CPC (Certificate of Professional Competency), and you must do 35 hours of periodic training over the next five years to keep it.

I knew a guy that wanted to drive ambulances and was becoming a trained paramedic, he had to do the truck license AFAIK, said it was very difficult and expensive too, this was about 2/3 years ago at this stage.

Same guy was always involved with St. Johns Ambulance and stewarding for years.

It's €70 per hour for lessons with the crowd I'm going with, aiming for ten of them.
    €200 for hire of truck and pre-test lesson on day of test.
    €120 for the test
    Then the cost of the CPC training which is about €50 or so.

Thats an expensive test. :eek:

Although if it produces better drivers of the biggest and potentially most dangerous vehicles on the road then so be it.

Good luck with it Al.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thats an expensive test. :eek:

Although if it produces better drivers of the biggest and potentially most dangerous vehicles on the road then so be it.

Good luck with it Al.

When you see the tight training procedures and rules today its crazy to think that not so long ago the Govt dished out full licenses to anyone who had a prov for x amount of years, test sat or not in a license amnesty just to reduce the waiting list.

as far as i know this applied to all license types even truck and psv:eek:

Thanks Gav - I'll update ye all after I have my test done. Seems a good idea!

Agueroooo wrote: »
    When you see the tight training procedures and rules today its crazy to think that not so long ago the Govt dished out full licenses to anyone who had a prov for x amount of years, test sat or not in a license amnesty just to reduce the waiting list.

as far as i know this applied to all license
    types even truck and psv:eek:

That could explain why some of those who actually drive for a living are amongst the worst on the roads.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That could explain why some of those who actually drive for a living are amongst the worst on the roads.

My mother in law doesn't drive for a living (she'd starve) but she got her licence during the amnesty and she's easily the worst driver I know. Hasn't a clue how to use a roundabout but she thinks it's everyone else that can't use them.

The only time her car has been in 5th is when I've driven it. A year ago my van was in the garage and I had to get a lift off her. 50mph in second gear is not a pleasant sound. Forgets to dim. Forgets to indicate.

If she had to do her test now she wouldn't make it out the gate of the test centre.

Shocking.

Oh lord it gets better!!!

The tax is out on my van, so I've organised to go up in the morning to Naas to get it done.

Imagine the absolute DISGUST when I realise that the poxy DOE expired today..... Fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Anyone else play pes 14 yet? Been playing it the last 2 nights and its surprisingly awesome, if it wasn't for fifa being so much better online I'd be tempted to make the switch back.

• Advertisement

curry-muff wrote: »
    Anyone else play pes 14 yet? Been playing it the last 2 nights and its surprisingly awesome, if it wasn't for fifa being so much better online I'd be tempted to make the switch back.

Haven't played it in the last year or two but I used to buy it solely for the Be a Legend mode....much better than Fifa Pro. There was a real sense of achievement in it when you managed to score.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Haven't played it in the last year or two but I used to buy it solely for the Be a Legend mode....much better than Fifa Pro. There was a real sense of achievement in it when you managed to score.

Ya the become a legend in PES was always a great option, I always enjoyed Master League too when you started with a team of sh*te and managed to go a few seasons and bring through some youngsters.

I've been stuck to GTA the last few days/nights, its brilliant and if the SP mode is anything to go by online is going to be very good.

Ya the become a legend in PES was always a great option, I always enjoyed Master League too when you started with a team of sh*te and managed to go a few seasons and bring through some youngsters.

I've been stuck to GTA the last few days/nights, its brilliant and if the SP mode is anything to go by online is going to be very good.

I always said I would buy it as a separate game if they introduced more features, and role playing elements to it.

Haven't got GTA yet, wasn't too pushed about it during the build up but the hype kinda got to me on the day before/release day and I decided I was going to get it (exact same thing happened with GTA 4)...seen Tesco had it for 50 when you spent 20 in the shop, but they only had PS3 copies left. Walked around to Gamestop and the 65 euro cost coupled with a queue out the door put an end to any urge to get it. I think at this stage I'll just 'borrow' my brothers copy when he is finished with it.

Remember Pavia in CM. Good times :)

There was a Spanish dude upfront? Castello was it, all pace no finsihing ability. Was frustrating as f*k.

Miranda was the key man for me, pulled all the strings. :)

I cant remember whcih PEs it was but when you created a player you had the option to upload your own face to the player, was fun when we had about 7 or 8 of the buddies real faces inthe game. :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement