Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Des wrote: »
    Looking for something decent to watch myself, might acquire Hurt Locker

Its ok , but I wouldnt class it as the "film of the year" . .

Dont build yourself up and it will pass 2 hours without a fuss. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

JPA wrote: »
    Blind Side - Alright, watchable but nothing special
    Avatar- really enjoyed the 3D and effects, plot was meh, but if you didn't see it in 3D it's wasted on you.
    Hurt Locker - Good alternative look at war but I dunno, quite a poor plot I thought.

Precious - :(

I presume you saw it in 3D which most likely means you did not see it in the traditional way so how may I ask can you make such a claim ?

Second person to say this and when I questioned they first the response was "I just say it was" :confused:

I have seen stuff in 3D before and tbh I just dont see what all the fuss is about. It will also never catch on beyond cinema tbh as nobody is gonna watch 3D tv with those ridiculous glasses on. Until they develop a better delivery method the technology is flawed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

redout wrote: »
    I presume you saw it in 3D which most likely means you did not see it in the traditional way so how may I ask can you make such a claim ?

Second person to say this and when I questioned they first the response was "I just say it was" :confused:

I have seen stuff in 3D before and tbh I just dont see what all the fuss is about. It will also never catch on beyond cinema tbh as nobody is gonna watch 3D tv with those ridiculous glasses on. Until they develop a better delivery method the technology is flawed.

I'm not sure what you mean, :confused: I meant that as a "normal" movie it's very much run of the mill PG 13 stuff, but when you add in the effects, visuals and 3D it becomes more enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The movie was made to showcase the 3D technology. Every important scene in the movie is shot to take advantage of the tech and provide a visual experience. Seeing the movie in 2D takes all this away.

The plot of the movie is fairly weak and unoriginal, so it is really the visuals that are ment to take it over the line. If you don't watch it in 3d, you are missing a major facet of the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,452 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I've seen it in 2D and 3D twice (I have an unlimited cinema card and a lot of free time) and 3D makes it much better. I left the 3D showing the first time saying that it didn't make much difference but the 2D just looked much more computerised while the 3D looked very real imo.

Watching Alien in HD and it looks amazing!

Remarkable when you consider this was made in 79.

Remember Ridley Scott mentioning something about this recently.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Has anybody seen Green Zone..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Dub13 wrote: »
    Has anybody seen Green Zone..?

Went to see it last, really enjoyed it though the ending was made a bit obvious.

Spud83 wrote: »
    Went to see it last, really enjoyed it though the ending was made a bit obvious.

It looks good on the trailer's but they can be deceiving.I am going to go and see it this week at some stage.

• Advertisement

It looks good on the trailer's but they can be deceiving.I am going to go and see it this week at some stage.

Definitely worth a watch, especially if you enjoyed the Bourne movies, although it is a bit more thought provoking then they were.

I love the Bourne movies so its all systems go for this.If its no good I will send you a invoice in the post.

I love the Bourne movies so its all systems go for this.If its no good I will send you a invoice in the post.

ha ha, thats a long list you would be joining.

So any Cheltenham tips...?I am not a big racing fan but love these big meetings.

The Pacific is on Spanish tv right now.

Gonna watch and report back.

Watched it, loved it, recommend it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Anyone have any wins on the horsies today?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

baz2009 wrote: »
    Anyone have any wins on the horsies today?:D

Broke even :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Just over 100 euro up today mainly thanks to Sizing Europe and Chief Dan George.

Anyone got any good horses for Wednesday, will look later myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

had a very good result on Sizing Europe and got the most wonderful text about Binocular, the texter insisted despite my protestations about him not getting up the hill

he reckoned the pace would be upped in the race this year for him and he would have momentum going into the hill rather then having to try get going up the hill

excellent foresight, or maybe he was just told what was gonna happen.

im not sure which

• Advertisement

Good days all round so.:)

Made about €100 myself. €5 E/W accumulator on Dunguib, Khyber Kim, Somersby, L'Ami and Quevega.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good days all round so.:)

Made about €100 myself. €5 E/W accumulator on Dunguib, Khyber Kim, Somersby, L'Ami and Quevega.

Give me tips!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Happy Paddy's day peeps, hopefully today will be better than yesterday for the nags. :pac:

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Give me tips!!

The Gambling and Horse Racing forums is where I made my selections from.:p

Good start 40/1 third :)

My first horse,
    Quel Esprit
    fell on the second fúcking jump.:mad:
    Had him in an accumulator and a e/w treble.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,707 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My first horse,
    Quel Esprit
    fell on the second fúcking jump.:mad:
    Had him in an accumulator and a e/w treble.:(

master mind ****ed me up

I even had it as insure-bet 2 places but the bastard came 3rd

it would of been a lovely win

Horse Racing
    CHELTENHAM
    1:30 NATIONAL HUNT CHASE 4m
    17th of Mar 2010 1:30 pm
    Place Only 3 Places
    Becauseicouldnt @ 13/8 (win)

Horse Racing
    CHELTENHAM
    2:40 RSA CHASE 3m 110yds
    17th of Mar 2010 2:40 pm
    Place Only 3 Places
    Long Run @ 4/9 (win)

Horse Racing
    CHELTENHAM
    3:20 QUEEN MOTHER CHAMPION CHASE 2m
    17th of Mar 2010 3:20 pm
    Insurebet 2 Places
    Master Minded @ 4/11 (lose)

Horse Racing
    CHELTENHAM
    4:00 CORAL CUP H'CAP HURDLE 2m 5f
    17th of Mar 2010 4:00 pm
    Place Only 5 Places
    Quantitativeeas @ 13/8 (win)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Never understood the attraction in betting on dumb animals myself, not to mind all the corrupt bullsh*t that goes on in the sport. Waste of time and money.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Never understood the attraction in betting on dumb animals myself, not to mind all the corrupt bullsh*t that goes on in the sport. Waste of time and money.

ah its Cheltenham, no harm in some small bets, some great racing over the first couple of days, some great races on Thursday.

• Advertisement

not to mind all the corrupt bullsh*t that goes on in the sport. Waste of time and money.

isnt that the same for all sports?

myself I only bet on soccer but the above bet was just a once off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Headshot wrote: »
    isnt that the same for all sports?

myself I only bet on soccer but the above bet was just a once off

I suspect theres a bit more of it in racing what with horses getting held back etc. This + the involvement of dumb animals = stupid stupid gambling IMO.

I suspect theres a bit more of it in racing what with hoses getting held back etc. This + the involvement of dumb animals = stupid stupid gambling IMO.

I wouldnt know about it tbh, iv no interest in horses.

Any sport that you can bet massive amounts of money on will have corruption.

Horse racing is notorious for fixing though but I'd imagine the Grade 1 races which are the top races eg Cheltenham are fairly legit.

But then again, who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

i like google's logo for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I suspect theres a bit more of it in racing what with horses getting held back etc.
    in Cheltenham??

• Advertisement

anyone get windows 7 ?

any good ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

anyone get windows 7 ?

any good ?

Compared to what?

Comapred to Vista, it's like a bloody Linux OS.

I had Vista on a laptop and had a nightmare, my new laptop has 7 on it, and I love it. Very smooth, and I've encountered zero problems with it (yet).

Sopcast works with no problems, and any external USB device has either just worked, or 7 went off and got drivers for it no bother.

I'd recommend it deffo.

As a comparison, I run Linux Mint on another laptop, and I actually prefer Windows 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Spirit River saved the day yesterday at Cheltenham for me, today it Great Endeavour's turn. :pac:

Oh, Headshot.

I should probably say that I use the 64bit version, and have 4gb RAM.

Compared to what?

Comapred to Vista, it's like a bloody Linux OS.

I had Vista on a laptop and had a nightmare, my new laptop has 7 on it, and I love it. Very smooth, and I've encountered zero problems with it (yet).

Sopcast works with no problems, and any external USB device has either just worked, or 7 went off and got drivers for it no bother.

I'd recommend it deffo.

As a comparison, I run Linux Mint on another laptop, and I actually prefer Windows 7.

cheers Des, om my laptop at the moment iv vista which I dont really have trouble with but iv no Microsoft word, excel etc and was told that package would cost me 90 euro and i enquired about windows 7 and was told that's only 110 euro so only 20 euro in the difference.

I may go for windows seven home premium upgrade

i presume that has Microsoft word etc on it ?
    Oh, Headshot.

I should probably say that I use the 64bit version, and have 4gb RAM.

iv 32bit and 4gb ram

• Advertisement

No, the MS Office packages aren't coming pre-packaged with the OSs any more.

I got it from my cousin. ;)

You also need to have a look see if your machine can take the 64bit version of 7.

Headshot just download a copy of office from the net.

I think Google are now offering their own office suite for free - just google it.

No, the MS Office packages aren't coming pre-packaged with the OSs any more.

I got it from my cousin. ;)

You also need to have a look see if your machine can take the 64bit version of 7.

are they not

the cun'ts Microsoft, that's me not getting it

shame :(:(

Headshot just download a copy of office from the net.

I think Google are now offering their own office suite for free - just google it.

I have open office which i hardly used but im really using it these days and its just not good enough compared to MS word, I use MS word at college, so im use to it ya know

Des re: "You also need to have a look see if your machine can take the 64bit version of 7"

out of interest how do i find out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

anyone get windows 7 ?

any good ?

It's 10 times better than Vista ever was. I've got 32-bit with 4 gigs of RAM. No problems so far. Best OS I've ever used. You'll have to reformat your laptop to install it though.

To answer your other question, Home Premium doesn't come with Microsoft Office.

I have open office which i hardly used but im really using it these days and its just not good enough compared to MS word, I use MS word at college, so im use to it ya know

Des re: "You also need to have a look see if your machine can take the 64bit version of 7"

out of interest how do i find out?

if you are a student you should be able to get a discount of microsoft office. They actually have a student website http://www.software4students.ie/

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

if you are a student you should be able to get a discount of microsoft office. They actually have a student website http://www.software4students.ie/
    Yeah I got office off of them, 45 quid I think it was. They don't even look for proof you're a student ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Actually what version do you used headshot? Still have a CD?

IvySlayer wrote: »
    It's 10 times better than Vista ever was. I've got 32-bit with 4 gigs of RAM. No problems so far. Best OS I've ever used. You'll have to reformat your laptop to install it though.

To answer your other question, Home Premium doesn't come with Microsoft Office.

sounds good, may invest in that, i miss the days when I could get Operating systems from a friend :(

thanks

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Actually what version do you used headshot? Still have a CD?

you talking about my vista/laptop ?

well im using windows vista home premium, system pack 2

regarding the CD, I dont have a clue, id highly doubt it tbh

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement