Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I think this thread is missing a token OpenRoad Sarah Jane comment....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

How Hot Is Sarah Jane Mee looking tonight :p she really does look good in black :)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    How Hot Is Sarah Jane Mee looking tonight :p she really does look good in black :)

7 minutes, tut. smoking by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

How strange are the little 'fan moments' that ESPN have when they return from an ad break. Man United's is some bloke with a huge smile and a guitar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

are sky sports doing a freebie this weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

kilburn wrote: »
    are sky sports doing a freebie this weekend?

Just today I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

From Yossi Benayoun's wikipedia:
    On 21 August, Benayoun scored his first league goal in the 90th minute for Chelsea in a 6-0 thrashing of Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium in Wigan, Lancashire. [30] He is also the best player in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Quick question - would a bath be good for a cold? Been dying at work all day - been drinking plenty water, took a multivitamin the min I got in the door, just wondering what else could help before sleeping it off - bath yes or no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

PaulieC wrote: »
    Quick question - would a bath be good for a cold? Been dying at work all day - been drinking plenty water, took a multivitamin the min I got in the door, just wondering what else could help before sleeping it off - bath yes or no?

Too late now, but just for future reference, it really makes no difference. Temperature has nothing to do with the common cold, and having a warm bath really serves no further purpose than improving your immediate comfort. Best thing to do is just stay dosed up on either paracetamol, or preferably ibuprofen, and drink plenty of fluids.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Archimedes wrote: »
    Too late now, but just for future reference, it really makes no difference. Temperature has nothing to do with the common cold, and having a warm bath really serves no further purpose than improving your immediate comfort. Best thing to do is just stay dosed up on either paracetamol, or preferably ibuprofen, and drink plenty of fluids.

I was always under the impression that a bath helped,as they say you learn something new everyday.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Not entirely true - any remedies suggested, including paracetemol/ibuprofen etc. are designed to aid your immune system to erradicate the virus quickly and more effectively. Keeping your body temp a little higher (staying in bed, wrapping up warm or having a hot bath etc.) will serve this purpose as your body's biggest energy-sapper is temp regulation if you are cold which will lead to you being worn out and as such will slow your metabolism and immune system. This is why lucozade is also recommended as it keeps your body full of energy.

Not entirely true - any remedies suggested, including paracetemol/ibuprofen etc. are designed to aid your immune system to erradicate the virus quickly and more effectively. Keeping your body temp a little higher (staying in bed, wrapping up warm or having a hot bath etc.) will serve this purpose as your body's biggest energy-sapper is temp regulation if you are cold which will lead to you being worn out and as such will slow your metabolism and immune system. This is why lucozade is also recommended as it keeps your body full of energy.

LOL.....

***a disclaimer,medical advice given out on the soccer forum has to be threated with a pinch of salt.We are governed by the medical council of Ireland***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Paracetemol/ibuprofren do not aid your immune system. It actually does the opposite. Taking an anti-inflammatory helps get rid of the symptoms, not the disease.

PaulieC, a bath, like said above would probably just make you feel drained. Bed rest/fluids.

I hope it doesn't turn into man-flu, looking at 5-6 weeks in bed at least. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Paracetemol/ibuprofren do not aid your immune system. It actually does the opposite. Taking an anti-inflammatory helps get rid of the symptoms, not the disease.

PaulieC, a bath, like said above would probably just make you feel drained. Bed rest/fluids.

I hope it doesn't turn into man-flu, looking at 5-6 weeks in bed at least. :(

:pac:

Man up! 5 or 6 weeks in bed at least?!

Anyway, I'm literally 5 days in college and they already have us drafting up our Final Year Project proposals. You'd think they'd have told us to be thinking about it and given us some guidelines before we got our summer holidays!

Sound for the advice lads - I took a really warm bath anyway and threw myself into bed wearing sweatpants and the warmest hoody I own - helped an awful lot - still a bit stuffed up but compared to yesterday I'm flying :) Had difficulty logging into boards last night - 503 error kept coming up so just looked up online and apparently raising your core temperature can help colds so the aul "sweat it out" mantra appears to work.

I don't like taking panadol, ibprofin etc. for colds - only bad headaches or migranes - I think they only serve to fúck up your immune system by becoming too dependent on tablets - I know it's a bit of an old school methodology but how is your immune system supposed to develop and get stronger if you're constantly taking quick fixes for the common cold :confused:

In other news I'm onto Season 5 of the wire after 3weeks and I don't ever want it to end :(

mars bar wrote: »
    :pac:
    Anyway, I'm literally 5 days in college and they already have us drafting up our Final Year Project proposals. You'd think they'd have told us to be thinking about it and given us some guidelines before we got our summer holidays!

I hope I never have to do something resembling an FYP ever again!! The proposal will only be in 3/4 weeks and you'll be expected to have the interim report in with how you're progressing - it's ridiculous!

I hope I never have to do something resembling an FYP ever again!! The proposal will only be in 3/4 weeks and you'll be expected to have the interim report in with how you're progressing - it's ridiculous!

It seems fairly mad alright. They don't give ya time to even think about it. Lucky for me, I had a fair idea what I wanted to do so I just hope it's feasible.

It seems fairly mad alright. They don't give ya time to even think about it. Lucky for me, I had a fair idea what I wanted to do so I just hope it's feasible.

Is it an IT project? I wouldn't do a proof of concept tbh unless you know what you're aiming for and whether its feasible for you to actually do it - I went about creating a website using 1 language - ended up having to use 3, and it still didn't come out working properly.

It's a big ball of stress doing it tbh but the documentation gets you decent marks so if you have a client you can beef up the reports with customer input...all that shíte!

No it's Music Technology so you can make pre-amps, speakers and the like by going down the hardware route. I won't be taking that though, I feel like crying if I see a breadboard!

You can make an EP.

You can make a single and try and get it into the charts. There's quite a bit that can be done really.

I'm gonna do a Foley project. I'm gonna take an animated video, strip the audio and replace it with my own sound effects that I'm gonna record and make through midi. Gonna sync it back up with the video. The aim is to have my own library of sound effects by the end of the project.

Yeah you're right about the reports. They keep telling us if you don't succeed in the actual project but can show where you went wrong and how you'd do it differently then that'll get you a lot of marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

enter your best Irish 11 since Big Jack was appointed and win two tickets to Russia game

http://www.balls.ie/2010/09/28/give-it-a-lash/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

In other news I'm onto Season 5 of the wire after 3weeks and I don't ever want it to end :(

Dont speak another word. Im only finishing up season 4!!!

No it's Music Technology so you can make pre-amps, speakers and the like by going down the hardware route. I won't be taking that though, I feel like crying if I see a breadboard!

You can make an EP.

You can make a single and try and get it into the charts. There's quite a bit that can be done really.

I'm gonna do a Foley project. I'm gonna take an animated video, strip the audio and replace it with my own sound effects that I'm gonna record and make through midi. Gonna sync it back up with the video. The aim is to have my own library of sound effects by the end of the project.

Yeah you're right about the reports. They keep telling us if you don't succeed in the actual project but can show where you went wrong and how you'd do it differently then that'll get you a lot of marks.

That sounds tedious but alot more craic than creating a website man!

Sure my fyp breakdown was something like this:

Project plan - 15%
    Interim Report - 15%
    Final Report - 20%
    Implemented Project - 40%
    Attendance to Open Presentation Day - 5%
    Project Poster - 5%

It's a joke that documentation is worth so much but it is something you can fall back on if you fúck up the project - are you using Gaant charts? You can use them in MS Project to graph your plan then compare it with actual progress in all documentation after that - if you wanna show where you went wrong or what delayed your project etc then using those charts will look good and get you marks.

nicklauski wrote: »
    Dont speak another word. Im only finishing up season 4!!!

4 is the best season imo...I tend to say that at the end of every season but still 4 is really good imo...enjoy it

That sounds tedious but alot more craic than creating a website man!

Sure my fyp breakdown was something like this:

Project plan - 15%
    Interim Report - 15%
    Final Report - 20%
    Implemented Project - 40%
    Attendance to Open Presentation Day - 5%
    Project Poster - 5%

It's a joke that documentation is worth so much but it is something you can fall back on if you fúck up the project - are you using Gaant charts? You can use them in MS Project to graph your plan then compare it with actual progress in all documentation after that - if you wanna show where you went wrong or what delayed your project etc then using those charts will look good and get you marks.

We did the website craic last year, it was painful!

Well for something as practical and time consuming as ours is (4 studios to share between 2nd years and 3rd years!), the documentation was always going to be a fair chunk to give people a chance.

I've never even heard of Gaant charts. I'll look into it as it sounds like something that would keep you on your track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Does anyone remember the Friday quiz on this forum?? it was great, I used to just be a lurker but i set up an account and got my 50 posts just so I could join in. Soon after that it stopped unfortunately, it'd be great if it made a return. Anyone else agree?

4 is the best season imo...I tend to say that at the end of every season but still 4 is really good imo...enjoy it

Nah 2 is the best, the greek, his assistant and sobotka were all great characters.

MR NINE wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the Friday quiz on this forum?? it was great, I used to just be a lurker but i set up an account and got my 50 posts just so I could join in. Soon after that it stopped unfortunately, it'd be great if it made a return. Anyone else agree?

I think someone tried to get it going again, but it died out.I liked it.:(

I've never even heard of Gaant charts. I'll look into it as it sounds like something that would keep you on your track.

You'd think that but you'd be suprised how off track you'll be willing to go when you're in charge of your own project :D

I'd really advise using them anyway man - they'll look good in your documentation and being an MS Office tool there'll be plenty of online info on them so you'll be able to find info on how to use them quickly.

PM me if you want me to dig up an old one I have and send it onto you anyway

• Advertisement

MR NINE wrote: »
    Nah 2 is the best, the greek, his assistant and sobotka were all great characters.

Alot of people I know have said that tbh but I found it never lived up to my expectations because of that! There's no weak season of the show as far as I'm concerned - it's consistently brilliant, but have to say 4 has been my personal favourite so far

Alot of people I know have said that tbh but I found it never lived up to my expectations because of that! There's no weak season of the show as far as I'm concerned - it's consistently brilliant, but have to say 4 has been my personal favourite so far

lol is that because you just finished watching it? you're obviously gonna think its great. All the seasons are excellent, no matter which one someone says is their favourite they can't go too far wrong.

baz2009 wrote: »
    I think someone tried to get it going again, but it died out.I liked it.:(

Yeh I noticed that a while ago, shame it didn't work. I'm always learning new trivia etc and thinking that woulda been great in the soccer quiz but then forgetting them a few days later.

You'd think that but you'd be suprised how off track you'll be willing to go when you're in charge of your own project :D

I'd really advise using them anyway man - they'll look good in your documentation and being an MS Office tool there'll be plenty of online info on them so you'll be able to find info on how to use them quickly.

PM me if you want me to dig up an old one I have and send it onto you anyway

Hah, I can imagine it being very easy to put off to the next week and it all just piles up.

Thanks a million, I'll definitely keep you in mind.

Has anybody here using Eircom with a limit on Broadband downloads been charged extra??

Just on the topic of the Wire - when I finally finish watching it I'm going to look for a new season of something to watch like The Sopranos from scratch - I've a limit of 30bg/month - If I download a few seasons of the Sopranos I'll end up being over for the month and I don't wanna be charged :(

The reason I ask is because a friend of mine said recently he always downloads as much as he wants, he's on the same 30gb limit as myself and he's never been charged extra apparently

really!??? Im finding it a bit slow. Not much happening with it.
    I'm enjoying Prez as the teacher, some of his methods are a bit different. Using gambling for maths :D[

• Advertisement

nicklauski wrote: »
    really!??? Im finding it a bit slow. Not much happening with it.
    I'm enjoying Prez as the teacher, some of his methods are a bit different. Using gambling for maths :D[

I've found all the seasons start slow before picking up momentum - the first season especially!

One of my favourite TV characters of all time right here too:

large_wire-lessons.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Season 4 was probably my favourite too having finally just finished season 5 last week. Can't really explain why but I think it's that stage where you truly realise how absolutely amazing the show is and never want it to end. (well ok, that probably happened towards the end of season 1 in reality)

Omar is the greatest character ever.
    omar.jpg

Omar rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Seasons 1 and 3 were my favourite, wasn't a huge fan of season 2.

Did I hear that someone from the wire is going to be in a RTE thing next week or was that a mad dream..?it reads like a mad dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yeah I wasn't as mad about season 2 as a lot of other people seem to be. It just seemed too far removed from the main storyline or something. Some good characters in it though.

playa3 wrote: »
    Season 4 was probably my favourite too having finally just finished season 5 last week. Can't really explain why but I think it's that stage where you truly realise how absolutely amazing the show is and never want it to end. (well ok, that probably happened towards the end of season 1 in reality)

Omar is the greatest character ever.

I think they develop so many characters in Season 4 - and all really well, the thing that makes the Wire so good isn't the action, it's the suspense that lingers all through the season that something big is coming, that and the aforementioned character development.

The conversation between Omar and Bunk in Season 3 (:confused:) is brilliant
    I was a few years ahead of you at Edmondson, but I know you remember the neighborhood, how it was. We had some bad boys, for real. Wasn't about guns so much as knowing what to do with your hands. Those boys could really rack. My father had me on the straight, but like any young man, I wanted to be hard too, so I'd turn up at all the house parties where the tough boys hung. ****, they knew I wasn't one of them. Them hard cases would come up to me and say, "Go home, schoolboy, you don't belong here." Didn't realize at the time what they were doing for me. As rough as that neighborhood could be, we had us a community. Nobody, no victim, who didn't matter. And now all we got is bodies, and predatory mother****ers like you. And out where that girl fell, I saw kids acting like Omar, calling you by name, glorifying your ass. Makes me sick, mother****er, how far we done fell

Dub13 wrote: »
    Omar rocks.

Yeah but it's all about the Bunk baby!! :pac:

What a champ!

Yeah but it's all about the Bunk baby!! :pac:

What a champ!

Favourite Bunk quote ever.
    Himself and Mc Nulty are in a bar, eying up two blondes. (Could be season 3)
    Jimmy says your turn Bunk,
    Bunk goes up being all over the place and obnoxious and as Mc Nulty pulls him away as the gentleman Bunk turns around and says
    It's all pink on the insede baby

And just because I love it

I've only watched series 1 and a bit of series 2 so far, season 1 was epic. Season 2 isn't great so far, kinda boring with all the technical stuff. I wanna see 'em shoot some baddies.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Dexter, House and Fringe back, with South Park next week :)

Smegball wrote: »
    Dexter, House and Fringe back, with South Park next week :)

Saw House last week, still haven't gotten round to Fringe though - I've a feeling this season is gona be really annoying!

season 1 of the wire was easily the best.

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

would ggo for 3 and 4 being the best myself, although the best scene was season 1
    very NSFW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Google Streetview launching in Ireland tomorrow apparently :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement