Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Milk Thistle good for hangovers?

• 23-08-2009 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

Is Milk Thistle good for hangovers?

Any bad side effects?

How does it come, liquid or pill... how consumed?

Better to take it before you go out, end of night or next morning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

No clue about milk thistle but I drank a lot of beer last night, when I came home I made myself drink 2 big glasses of water and brought one to bed with me too. To sup on during the night. No hangover, just crazy tired. Works well when you remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

not sure if it works as a quick fix,

Its well proven and documented as an excellent liver tonic and it would be well worth doing a course of it once a year to keep the liver in good shape. As a result when ya do go on the session the liver should be able to recover better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

A friend of mine used to take it but she found the results hit and miss.

Best thing Ive used is alka-seltzer.2 before you go to bed in a pint of water.

2 in the morning when you get up in a pint of water.

Good as gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

i think i heard before that alka-seltzer is bad for you if taken regularly. dont know what counts as regularly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

I'd have to agree it's very hit and miss. I've tried it before. The first bottle I got seemed to work fine. It comes on liquid form and you need to put a few drops into a glass of water and drink it before and after your session. It tastes like sh*t though.

I eneded up giving the first bottle to some friends of mine when I was on holiday. The second one I got didn't seem to work half as good.

Since then I've been drinking pints of water before I go to bed which gives pretty much the same effect (except you p*ss like a horse)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When at Whiplash in Sligo, I'd hunt for the smoothie place in the shopping centre place, and get the stuff put into it. Cured the hangovers nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

i think i heard before that alka-seltzer is bad for you if taken regularly. dont know what counts as regularly...

Well Ive only used it if Im going on a heavy binge and have another one the day after.Say like for a wedding or something.

Otherwise its just lots of water before bed,lots when I get up and some fresh fruit.Plus more sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Take it the before you go out.

Milk Thistle is also given to alcoholics with liver schlorosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Milk Thistle is a herb called Silymarin and is an excellent liver tonic, it helps the liver to recover from the damage caused by alcohol. However it will only work when taken over a long period of time and has no effect on a hangover.

You can get it in any chemist that sells vitamins etc. and it comes in capsule form, however if you feel you need something to help your liver to recover from alcohol damage then maybe you should really be looking at your drinking habits??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

But if you are just looking for something to help with the hangovers, try the water/painkillers method mentioned above. Or a mixture of fresh fruit juices. Apple, orange, pineapple etc. The fructose (fruit sugars) in fruit juice helps to naturally increase the body's energy. Studies have proven that it also increases the rate at which the body gets rid of toxins such as those left over from alcohol metabolism. Fruit juice is also a good idea the morning after because it's high in vitamins and nutrients that were depleted the night before because of alcohol's diuretic effect. Vitamin supplements high in vitamins C and B are also effective.

• Advertisement
Advertisement