Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Albums of 2009

• 23-08-2009 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

Rather broad discussion but anyway...

What are your favourite albums of the year so far? And what albums are you looking forward to the most?

My best would probably be Skyforger by Amorphis, it's pretty straightforward verse - catchy chorus - interlude stuff but they seem to do it better than anyone else:o

Also, Isis - Wavering Radiant, not as good as Panopticon but a great album nonetheless! Would also say Obscura - Cosmogenesis on the death metal side of things.

I have very, very high hopes for Between the Buried and Me's new album, The Great Misdirect. Colors is probably my favourite album ever and i'm hoping this will be even better.

And can i just say that Crack the Skye is slightly overrated...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Well my fave was crack the Skye :P

Looking forward to Rammsteins new album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Crack the Skye. :D

My Dying Bride's For Lies I Sire is pretty good as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Them Crooked Vultures:D

Also really liked Crack The Skye

But favourite released so far is definitely Dream Theater's Black Clouds & Silver Linings. A Nightmare To Remember is hugely epic, although few bits I dont like(Blast Beats ffs). Rite of PAssage, really liking it now, love the chorus. Wither is just perfect in EVERY way. A Shattered Fortress is my least favourite song, but still right good. Best of Times, really really powerful, emotional song about losing a father, with some sweet soloing. Then for The Count of Tuscany...easily most epic song this year(although Muse do have 3 part symphony, and Porcupine Tree have 14 part, 55 minute epic). Will still stand up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Faust: C'est Complique

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

Got to go with Crack the Skye too. Could never get into Mastodon until I heard this. Brilliant album :D

Also enjoyed Wrath :pac:

I can't wait for Slayer and Megadeths new albums :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

What are your favourite albums of the year so far? And what albums are you looking forward to the most?

My best would probably be Skyforger by Amorphis, it's pretty straightforward verse - catchy chorus - interlude stuff but they seem to do it better than anyone else:o

Also, Isis - Wavering Radiant, not as good as Panopticon but a great album nonetheless! Would also say Obscura - Cosmogenesis on the death metal side of things.

I have very, very high hopes for Between the Buried and Me's new album, The Great Misdirect. Colors is probably my favourite album ever and i'm hoping this will be even better.

Amorphis are painfully boring these days.

The new ISIS was extremely dull and uninspiring.

I did like Obscura a lot.

BTBAM were crap before Colors and it wouldn't surprise me hugely if they return to the usual fare.
    • Kylesa - Static Tensions
    • Colblat - Gin
    • Animal Collective - Merriweather Port Pavillion
    • Big Business - Mind The Drift
    • Clutch - Strange Cousins From The West
    I'm in the middle of putting my music onto a new laptop so of the ones i've ripped they are my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mastodon - Crack The Skye
    Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings
    Lamb Of God - Wrath

Eagerly awaiting Sonata Arctica's new album next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Amorphis - Skyforger
    Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs
    Askival - Eternity
    Be'lakor - Stone's Reach
    Eluveitie - Evocation I - The Arcane Dominion
    Obscura - Cosmogenesis
    Destroyer 666 - Defiance
    Finsterforst - Zum tode hin
    My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire
    Novembers Doom - Into Nights Requiem Infernal
    Skaldic Curse - World Suicide Machine
    Solstafir - Kold
    Skagos- Ást
    Razor of Occam - Homage to Martyrs
    Yggdrasil - Vedergällning
    Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

In no particular Order:

My Dying Bride's - For Lies I Sire
    Amorphis - Skyforger
    Old Mans Child - Slaves of the World
    Eluveitie - Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion
    Behemoth - Evangelion
    Wardruna - Runaljod – gap var Ginnunga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭weisses

Winds of Plague - The great stone war :eek:

The Sorrow - Origin of the storm :cool:

Vader - Necropolis :pac:

Can't wait for the new Rammstein ... + irish gig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Agorapocalypse Now
    Napalm Death - Time waits For No Slave
    Behemoth - Evanglion
    GWAR - Lust In Space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constellation of the Black Widow

Goatwhore - Carving out the Eyes of God

Job for a Cowboy - Ruination

Lamb of God - Wrath

Hatesphere - To the Nines

Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague

Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor

Absu - Absu

Vomitory - Carnage Euphoria

Blood Red Throne - Souls of Damnation

Its been a good year and with new releases from The Black Dahlia Murder,Dying Fetus,Hatebreed,Converge and Despised Icon (among others) to come its going to get even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Good to see someone else who really likes Amorphis. They are unfortunately unheard of in this country.:(Skyforger for me was the only great album I heard this year.:( I'm not 100% sure if it's as class as 'Silent Waters', but it's still a great album with a lot of great songs. The opening song 'Sampo' is just awesome, and is just as class as 'Weaving The Incantation'.

I've never been that mad about Mastadon, and they have become very overrated these days.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

Blut aus Nord
    :Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With the Stars

Katharsis
    :Fourth Reich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Good to see someone else who really likes Amorphis. They are unfortunately unheard of in this country.:(Skyforger for me was the only great album I heard this year.:( I'm not 100% sure if it's as class as 'Silent Waters', but it's still a great album with a lot of great songs. The opening song 'Sampo' is just awesome, and is just as class as 'Weaving The Incantation'.

Amorphis are well known in this country. Their early albums, such as Tales From the Thousand Lakes, are regarded by many people into metal as classics in the doom/death metal genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Crack the skye atm for me..

however ive a feeling that both slayer and megadeth will be my joint faves once they are released :p

Amorphis are well known in this country. Their early albums, such as Tales From the Thousand Lakes, are regarded by many people into metal as classics in the doom/death metal genre.

Tales From the Thousand Lakes - Classic Album:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Gotta be
    and
    Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings
    for me atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I really don't know how you people like Crack Me Ars€? It's terrible, boring and a far jump from their rocking earlier stuff. Ah well. This forum is not to get in to a flame war about a band that started off well and is now on its downward spiral to mediocrity.

I'd have to say Evisceration Plague too. And Man Must Die - No Tolerance for Imperfection.

chin_grin wrote: »
    I really don't know how you people like Crack Me Ars€? It's terrible, boring and a far jump from their rocking earlier stuff. Ah well. This forum is not to get in to a flame war about a band that started off well and is now on its downward spiral to mediocrity.

100% agree.
    Barring 1 or 2 tracks I thought CTS was pretty duff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Havent liked Mastodon up til now but might give the new album a shot seeing as most people seem to like it.

Any favourite songs on it I should check out?

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Havent liked Mastodan up til now but might give the new album a shot seeing as most people seem to like it.

Yeah I never liked them either apart from 2 or 3 songs, but after seen there performance at metallica, I got the new album and really liked it. I think best tracks are:

Crack the Skye
    Ghoast Of Karelia

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Havent liked Mastodon up til now but might give the new album a shot seeing as most people seem to like it.

Just listen to the whole album and decide for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Oblivion's probably the best track to hear first.

Personally I think Divinations is by far the stand out track on it.

Quintessence for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ShotgunblueZ

In no particular order:

Isis - Wavering Radiant
    Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind
    Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions
    Kylesa - Static Tensions
    Xasthur - All Reflections Drained (nearly drained me!)
    Mastodon - Crack the Skye

...currently liking Greymachine (members of Isis/Jesu/Godflesh)

Looking forward to:
    Alice in Chains Black - Gives Way to Blue
    Baroness - Blue Record
    Isis - Live V (full Oceanic show...Live)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I've never heard them being mentioned over here. 'Tales From a Thousand Lakes' is indeed a great album.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I've never heard them being mentioned over here. 'Tales From a Thousand Lakes' is indeed a great album.:)

Me neither, I haven't found them getting as much love as the melodeath scene. But then again over here you're considered underground and dark if you like Linkin Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Mono - Hymn To The Immortal Wind

This is an absolutely fantastic album. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Advertisement