Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rathgar

• 24-08-2009 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Doing my test for the third time in Rathgar..

Failed twice in Churchtown! I had the same tester twice and just couldn't handle the prospect of seeing him again!

But I was out in Rathgar and it is quite tricky up and around the villages etc..!

I've had a pre test and it went ok, I have been up around there quite a bit. Test is on tuesday and am really dreading the thought of failing again... that would be another 75 euro gone as well as the money on lessons :(

Does anyone have any tips with regards to Rathgar?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Hey d4gurl,

I have my test there in a few weeks. It seems a tricky area alright, lots of small roads with cars parked all over them, lots of hills etc.

I think just getting comfortable in that area will help. I feel better driving around areas I know well and go to pieces a bit in new areas.

Can you get someone to spend lots of time today up there with you?

Best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

Hey also have my 3rd test coming up in Rathgar in a couple of weeks. So annoying as its my third different test centre which means the lessons I got for Churchtown and Dun Laoghaire were, if not useless, not as useful to me now as they should be.

It has struck me as being quite a tricky area, especially as it seems to have a lot of built up narrow areas to go through (and a church thats apparently a feckin roundabout!). But it may just be a lack of familiarity as I've only had a couple of lessons in this area. I also had a bad experience with the churchtown tester so am hoping at least I might get someone who isn't dead inside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

strawdog wrote: »
    Hey also have my 3rd test coming up in Rathgar in a couple of weeks. So annoying as its my third different test centre which means the lessons I got for Churchtown and Dun Laoghaire were, if not useless, not as useful to me now as they should be.

It has struck me as being quite a tricky area, especially as it seems to have a lot of built up narrow areas to go through (and a church thats apparently a feckin roundabout!). But it may just be a lack of familiarity as I've only had a couple of lessons in this area. I also had a bad experience with the churchtown tester so am hoping at least I might get someone who isn't dead inside!

Your lessons around churchtown and Dun Laoghaire were by no means a waste of time. You have to start apply what you learn in lessons to evey situation, not just to specific locations. This is very important, and will make the test a lot easier, as you won't be worried about the examiner taking to somewhere new. Confidence in yourself is the key, even if you make a mistake you just have to continue as if nothing happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Hey

thanks for the replies! I had another pre test today and passed it! Also worked on problem areas. Still past experiences have proven me wrong! Just so worried about nerves and making the stupid mistakes! I feel I know the area well enough and practicing around it definitely helps! One question regarding ramps. When I am in third gear in between the ramps should I go into second gear? Oh and that church that is a roundabout is so werid..first time I saw it, I didn't even yield right of way! And people say it doesn't matter when it comes to the route! It matters a lot when the junctions etc.. are all crazy! agh best of luck to anyone else doing it! Hopefully I will have good news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That church that is a roundabout is confusing, but it is sign posted. The point i was trying to make in my last post, is that you can't know how everything is going to pan out. You will encounter "weird" junctions when driving with a full license too, but you will still just use what you've learned to get by. Just stay calm, take everything as it comes and don't dwell on your mistakes! Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Hey thanks! I passed today..was brought exact route I did yesterday for my pre-test! was in disbelief when I got the competency form! third time is the charm! Good luck to anyone else! of to post in the successful thread.. I have been wanting to post there for months!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Congrats!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

:D Congratulations!!! :D

Dont suppose you want to draw out the route for me??!! only messing...i'm off to practice in the Rathgar area today after work!!

Well all I can say is go in with confidence.. I was so nervous and then saw another girl go in with confidence so I pulled myself together!

I'll try remember the route! Right at the test centre towards Rathgar village, Right at the lights, Right again at the next set of lights down the small roads..then did three point turn down a small road..which was not an estate so observation has to be very strong! Did my corner down at the brazillian embassy, after the corner, turned left, down towards the dropping well, right at the dropping well.. and did hill start on that hill, then right at the lights (carefull here because its a crossroads..but a bit more tricky! Then continute down the road, there is a turn, and then I ended up doing a right turn into along the river dodder..! Keep the progress going thats what I got marked on! then again you could be brought down to churchtown! But that was one of the harder routes according to my instructor during my pretest! So best of luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement