Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish and fluids

Options
  • 24-08-2009 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Do fish or sea creatures drink? How do they retain the fluid in their body in the sea? Most of the sea water is highly salty. Does this pose a problem? Do they absorb it into the skin?

Just a random question that popped into my head out of curiosity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

wolfric wrote: »
    Most of the sea water is highly salty. Does this pose a problem?

No. They are fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

No. They are fish.
    i like your....thoughtful...explanation... clearly you understand the topic very deeply.

i did a little research and answered my own question.
    Web research seems to indicate that most fish do drink plenty of water, some continuously. Some fish absorb water through their skin and/or gills, and may excrete water that way, too. Apparently, fish need to maintain a fairly high concentration of salt, so how a fish deals with this need depends on whether it is a saltwater or freshwater fish.

Advertisement