Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PLEASE OPEN THIS...

• 24-08-2009 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I somehow (don't ask me how) saved this file in this form. Can anybody out there open it??

I just don't have the tech. skills to do so.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

come again? do you have...a link? to it? Anyone can open links you attach although the forum should not be used as a file server. There are plenty good sites for that kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Blaalarry

Can you tell me the name of a site that can open any file??

Regards the file - I tried to download it but failed in that too, I'm not very clever on PCs.

Also I didn't intend to "use" board members>:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

lolwut?

Ok so what you're saying is you saved a file from this forum not in it.

What type of file is it? if it's unknown you should see the filename as something like file.jpg for example if it was a picture (the jpg being the part that tells you it's a picture) .

If it doesn't have a "dot something" at the end then open up my computer. Go to tools (up the top beside file edit and view) and go to folder options. then find the box "hide extensions for known file types" should be just at the bottom of the visible area (so without moving the scroll bar on the right). and untick it.

then when you go to view your files they should all have a 3 letter extension after each name with a dot before it. This tells you what type of file it is. After we know that we should be able to tell you how to open it.

some file types for example
    .txt a text file (opened by notepad or other such programs)
    .jpg a picture file that can be opened by paint among others
    .doc document file usually opened by microsoft word.

some sugestions...
    It might be .zip or .rar in this case you need a program called winrar. This is a program that uncompresses and compresses files so they can be transfered faster. Download it here

Firstly Wolfric, A huge thanks for your help and patience.

I did all you told me to but i still can't open the file.

I do know it's a picture or pictures. In it's properties it says its an 06 file type. And opens with "Unknown Application".

The thing is I have looked at these pics on my pc, only after I saved them (Incorectly it seems) this is what I'm left with.

Its just loads and loads of numbers and letters!?

I tried to attach it to my opening thread but couldn't manage that.

I don't mind who sees the content.

I'll try winrar.

Thanks again.

You're good people.

I've tried winrar; They say "No files repaired. "

Guess I'll just leave it. One of those things i guess.

• Advertisement

No winrar won't work... Why don't you just tell us where the file came from?

I took some Pictures of my grandchildren at kilkenny Castle with my own camera. Put them on to my pc. Looked at them in Windows Viewer, went save them to My Pictures, and this is what I ended up with. Nothing sinister.
    If I could attach them I would, but its not a format in the drop down when I tried to attach them to my opening thread.

As I say, in properties, it says file type; 06

:confused:

did you save them directly (as in copying the files over) or save them from the viewer?

If you did it from the viewer did you change the name? perhaps you accidentally saved them as a wrong file format. Even if you DO double click on a file like that a window should come up asking how you want to open the file. Just chose "select from a list of programs" or something along those lines. Then click your paint or Microsoft picture viewer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Sounds like the file extension was removed.

You'll need to rename it by adding in .jpg afterwards. Hopefully that is all the problem is.

I bet if any of you guys were here you'd have this open in seconds. Cheeez..

I can't remember how I tried to save it, and i can't view it with any of the drop down options. It seems its really corupted by now with all the feicin around I did with it, ( I tried a lot of things before i put it up on boards...) but its still there.

A glimmer of hope though. Sandman suggested renaming it as a .jpg and now it looks like a .jpg!?

this one may be toooo far gone to retrieve but I have more at home, (I'm in work,ahem) and I'll try renaming one of them and try to open it in the usual way. And I'll keep ye posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

as in it shows the same icon as a .jpg?

If it does you should be able to attach it to boards now.

OK Guys, Here we go. I'm goin to upload a .jpg file/ folder 445mb

Goes through the attach procedure / told it's an Invalid File
    icon13.gif
    I think wee'll leave it there, shall we? Dead in the water

445mb picture? i think it's safe to say unless you have the camera with a lens the size of your computer monitor that it's not a picture.

Thats probably a video... I have one here and I'll try one more time... No luck. It says " this is not a valid image file|".

Could I send it to you in a PM?

no you cannot upload a file that big... just about anywhere... thats nearly 500 Mb that's over half a cd's worth of data.

Right click... open with... windows media player. Click yes to everything.
    http://www.videolan.org/mirror-geo.php?file=vlc/1.0.1/win32/vlc-1.0.1-win32.exe
    download vlc player here and install it and pick open with... and then vlc player, if windows media player doesn't open it.

thanks wolfric,

I can't do any new programmes on this comp. But I'll try it when I finish work and let you know.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Do a print screen of the file in it's folder and post it up, it might give some clues!

This probably won't be of any help whatsoever, but you could try opening it with Windows Explorer. I was using an old XP laptop on a FAS course I was on a while ago, and for whatever reason (whichever way FAS had them set up) when I first used the laptop, if i wanted to watch videos, look at pics, listen to music, etc. I had to open them all with windows explorer first. Odd, but it worked.

Anyway, like i say, this probably wont work, but its worth a shot (im using Vista here, so the process may be slightly different);

Right click on the file, and go to 'Open With'.

This gives a list of available programs, to the bottom right of this, click on 'Browse'.

Another window will open. Use the tab on the left to go to Computer (if it's not already on it).

Now, go to your (C:) drive. This often has different names, my PC is a Hewlett Packard, therefore my C: drive is called 'HP (C:)' for example. It should be the first icon in the list.

Double click on your (C:) folder and look for the folder called 'Windows'. Enter the folder.

Once inside, look for a program called 'explorer' and double-click it.

The window will close and you'll be looking at the list of available programs again. Click on explorer and press OK.

Hope for the best.

(NOTE: the above method, if it does work, will screw up all your files that are the same format as the one you'ce just opened - They'll all think they need to be opened with explorer. To fix this, you simply repeat the above, but instead the program you want to pick is whatever pogram you want to use with that type of file. For example, if its a picture file, you'd want to look for 'Windows Photo Gallery', if it's a movie file you'll need 'Windows Media Player' and so forth).

As i say, the above may not work, but it's worth a try. Also, as has been said already, try renaming the file to include the file type. For example, if the file is just called 06, right click on it, go to Rename, and change it to 06.jpg to make it a picture.

Best of luck, but don't give up, I'm sure you'll figure it out sooner or later, and you'll no doubt be a bit more computer-savvy when you've done so.

to be honest mate i would advise not doing that. To avoid the "screwing up of all the format" as you said you just untick the box where it says "always use this program to open this file"

Using explorer is just a loop the loop. That was probably someone screwing with a safety/security measures on your laptop and ****ing it up. Opening with explorer is the same as just double clicking it. I reckon they had a malware program install an addon for all your programs that changed the default option of the menu to something else... so when you double clicked it ran the program instead of opening the file. That's why opening with explorer worked.

Guys , I've got a workmate going to work on it for me. he reckons he can open it. I'll let you know how he gets on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Blaalarry wrote: »
    Guys , I've got a workmate going to work on it for me. he reckons he can open it. I'll let you know how he gets on.
    post a screenshot!

Advertisement