Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish National Team Sabotage

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

When he puts it all back on there should be a thread created called Andy Reid looking a lot fatter.

I love the irony of this thread with the burger in your sig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Read this on sunday the guy is busting his gut:p trying to get super fit and get in the Irish squad...Atleast he wants to wear the green jersey and has a club!!!!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/reid-i-do-want-to-play-for-trap-but-i-wont-beg-1867362.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Andy Reid & Stephen Ireland Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Remember the slack Rooney got for being fat and he was still powering in goals?!

I agree that Lampard isn't fat! Bad example. (although I have a feeling that you are saying Lampard is a very good footballer rather than being fat...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sigh. Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I watched the 2nd half of the Sunderland game which I missed last night and Reid played in the centre for the last 20 minutes. The most noticeable thing about him in that position is that players want to pass it to him. It's not seen as a negative step backwards for the winger to pass it to Reid and I think they'd trust Reid to do the right thing.

As for his weight. My guess is he piled on the pounds over last summer (2008) because that's when Keane's attitude changed towards him. He went from being Sunderland's star man to being pushed out wide and playing every 2nd game. In fact Keane made sure to give him 120 minutes in a league cup game having hardly played more than an hour in the league and I think that says a lot. Last season was poor from him and hopefully he has learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I thought the reason why Trap hasn't picked him is not because he is/was out of shape but because he doesn't like his singing.

Recent quote about the matter.

“If he left everybody out of the squad who was singing that night, there’d probably be only two people in the squad – and that’s only because they didn’t know the songs we were singing”.

– Andy Reid on his Giovanni Trapattoni-imposed exile. Sometimes it helps not to know the words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    IIRC he called up Glen Whelan while he was a reserve at Stoke.

But Whelan probably wasn't a couple of stone overweight, and wasn't too lazy to do anything about it.

NiallK, don't refer to Lampard as 'fat' again on this board. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ireland didnt play centre midfield for City last year,

I'm curious to find out where you think he did play last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Xavi6 wrote: »

Attacking midfield more than centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Xavi6 wrote: »

You could argue that he spent the season as an attacking midfielder, playing high tempo football high up the pitch, whereas Trap seems to prefer a defensive minded midfielder lying quite deeply.

For anyone interested here's some graphs of some of Andy Reid's games (only starts) over the last 3 seasons. It shows the passes he made and you can tell from that the positions he took up and how dominant he was.

A run of games in 06/07 with Charlton:
    reid2007.jpg
    Charlton 1-1 Everton
    Les Reed: "Puskas might have been the original Andy Reid"

A run of games in 07/08 with Sunderland:
    reid2008.jpg
    Sunderland 2-1 West Ham
    The Guardian: "While it may be pushing it to suggest that he is Sunderland's answer to Ferenc Puskas, few would deny that the Dubliner appears the antithesis of the "modern" Premier League midfielder. Or that Reid has transformed Keane's side since arriving from Charlton in January. Curvier, slower and generally less athletic than his more conventionally constructed counterparts he may be but Reid boasts the sharpest football brain and the best left foot in Sunderland's dressing room.

Like his manager he can see the bigger picture and routinely spots openings before anyone else. Able to deliver laser- like long-range passes with minimal backlift, he compensates lack of pace by the sort of adhesive touch that enables him to control and release the ball more quickly than most team-mates.
    Man of the match Andy Reid. The man whose vision and passing range has given Sunderland a hitherto missing creative edge which has inspired their recent renaissance. Typically Reid helped create the equaliser before wrapping up the points on the whistle"

And then you have 3 of his starts for Sunderland at the end of last season:
    reid2009.jpg

With the players we have at our disposal I think Reid is good enough to be the focal point of the Ireland team. Let's not be fickle and judge him on a season played out of position.

Sunderland fans should realise that Reid is probably the reason they're still in the Premiership seeing as he was motm in a lot of their wins when he joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Charlton 1-1 Everton
    Les Reed: "Puskas might have been the original Andy Reid"

Hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Isn't it completely obvious why Reid isn't picked?

Trap wants 2 sitting midfielders, then you have 2 wingers and 2 strikers to do the attacking in the team.
    Reid is ineffective on the left, and wouldn't fit into that system in the centre.

Added to that the supposed row, him not playing too much and also being overweight until now.

And if you're going to say, how come he wants Stephen Ireland back then?
    Well I think he would change the system somewhat for Ireland because he he is 3 times the player Reid is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

The midfielders being used at the moment are fine when we are playing away but when we are at home and require some guile and creativness we are fckd. Thats why there is a need for a player like Reid in the squad. Trap is just being a stubborn git at this stage. Reid has done all that he can do, he put in the effort in pre season and is prepared to wait. We have 2 Irish midfielders with a creative streak in them namely Reid and Ireland. One desperately wants to play for his country and the other couldn't give a ****. Yet we are trying to get the indifferent one back !

Secman

JPA wrote: »
    Isn't it completely obvious why Reid isn't picked?

Trap wants 2 sitting midfielders, then you have 2 wingers and 2 strikers to do the attacking in the team.
    Reid is ineffective on the left, and wouldn't fit into that system in the centre.
    Wouldn't you want someone on the bench that is something different to the rest?

surely now is the time the "shouldn't Reid be in the squad" debate should be starting?

now he has actually shown he is a little arsed & lost all the extra weight he was carrying.

the fact he has lost all the excess weight (that people claimed wasnt there/or wasn't an issue) shows Trap was certainly right to leave him out in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Wouldn't you want someone on the bench that is something different to the rest?

Then you have to change formation to make a sub.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Trap is just being a stubborn git at this stage.
    Or he's using his considerable wealth of knowledge within the game and sticking with a system he knows works.

What exactly do people want from Trap? We're on 13 pts from 7 games. That's an average of 1.86 pts per game. We have with 3 games left and have a real chance of reaching a the playoffs.

Our biggest rivals Bulgaria are on 11 pts with 4 games to go. Two of those games are away to tough opposition (Italy & Cyprus).

Are people expecting Trap to have a full 21 pts from the games we've played so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Or he's using his considerable wealth of knowledge within the game and sticking with a system he knows works.

What exactly do people want from Trap? We're on 13 pts from 7 games. That's an average of 1.86 pts per game. We have with 3 games left and have a real chance of reaching a the playoffs.

Our biggest rivals Bulgaria are on 11 pts with 4 games to go. Two of those games are away to tough opposition (Italy & Cyprus).

Are people expecting Trap to have a full 21 pts from the games we've played so far?

We should of beaten Bulgaria home and away. We should of beaten Italy away. This group is a lot harder on paper than it really is tbh.

SantryRed wrote: »
    We should of beaten Bulgaria home and away. We should of beaten Italy away. This group is a lot harder on paper than it really is tbh.
    Big old +1.

Really could be comfortably top at this stage.

Meh, I'm quite content with being second after the turmoil of Stan's era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Liam Miller out of the squad.

Andy Reid in the squad.

Glen Whelan out of our midfield.

Darron Gibson not being thrown in at the deep end and given time to grow as a footballer.

Everything else he has done brilliantly well. Amazing results so far.

Meh, I'm quite content with being second after the turmoil of Stan's era.
    That attitude is why Ireland will never really achieve what they can.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Yeah but we were lucky to beat Georgia and Cyprus at home. And lucky that we played Georgia in a neutral ground.
    But that's sport for ya, swings and roundabouts. It's what's on the board that counts and not could'ves.

CHD wrote: »
    That attitude is why Ireland will never really achieve what they can.

Nah, from where we were when Stan was in charge in terms of progress we've come a long way.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Liam Miller out of the squad.

Andy Reid in the squad.

Glen Whelan out of our midfield.

Darron Gibson not being thrown in at the deep end and given time to grow as a footballer.

Everything else he has done brilliantly well. Amazing results so far.
    But why would you want to change stuff that might affect "Amazing results so far"??

Because all the amazing results are despite the things listed above.

Glen Whelan out of the team would only affect our results in a positive way imo.

Glen Whelan out of the team would only affect our results in a positive way.

apart from his goal which secured us 3 points against Georgia of course.

• Advertisement

So if we do qualify you'll be complaining that we did it despite the things you listed? And it will have nothing to do with the fact that the squad was put together by a man that has been involved in football longer than you've probably been alive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Steven Reid has had another setback. He limped out of his comeback match with a hamstring injury.

Probably need to just give up on him at this stage. Doubt he'll ever be a big part of our squad again. Shame, because he would've suited Trap's system.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    apart from his goal which secured us 3 points against Georgia of course.

If i was playing in goal for Georgia, it wouldnt have been a goal.
    So if we do qualify you'll be complaining that we did it despite the things you listed? And it will have nothing to do with the fact that the squad was put together by a man that has been involved in football longer than you've probably been alive?

I wont be complaining. I will be suprised we did it despite the things i listed. I dont think you get me, i think Trappattoni is a great man and a great manager and i think he is doing a great job. You asked what people want from him, i said 4 things i think we could improve on. So you can spare your crusade for someone else.

A majority of fans interested in Ireland and posting about it here will also be fans of Liverpool / Man Utd / Chelsea / Arsenal. As such, they are used to supporting teams that expect to win most games they play, and compete for every trophy they partake in. And a defeat, or a poor performance from an individual player produces calls for wholesale changes to playing personnel / tactics so that "crises" can be assuaged.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    A majority of fans interested in Ireland and posting about it here will also be fans of Liverpool / Man Utd / Chelsea / Arsenal. As such, they are used to supporting teams that expect to win most games they play, and compete for every trophy they partake in. And a defeat, or a poor performance from an individual player produces calls for wholesale changes to playing personnel / tactics so that "crises" can be assuaged.

Believe me as a Manchester United fan, that is not the case at all.

As ive said i am very happy with the way we are looking in the table and a new found professionalism in the way things are being run. I just voiced my displeasure of Glen Whelan's nailed on CM spot (i am not alone in this, laugh out loud) and it was taken that i would spit in Trappattoni's face given the chance.

Take another look at what i said. Liam Miller in the squad? Reid not in the squad? These are not wholesale changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Because all the amazing results are despite the things listed above.

Glen Whelan out of the team would only affect our results in a positive way.

you really should put IMO after that, you post it like its a fact

event wrote: »
    you really should put IMO after that, you post it like its a fact

Ive gone back and edited it.

I want nothing more than Ireland to appear at a major championship. We are on course to do so. There are a few things that worry me about the squad, 4 infact, i listed them. Thats all this is. Does everyone else really have not a single worry about the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

In fairness if these so called fans have not got the intellect to seperate the two then their opinions are not really worth listening too !

Im hoping that "little" hamsting injury really is little, as in he can play on the weekend little. When fit he is our best midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

blue-army wrote: »

Also, I'd try and encourage Stephen Carr back out of international retirement.

Please god NO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

. Does everyone else really have not a single worry about the team?

My single worry is Trapattoni himself....as Dunphy correctly put it, he's a poor mans Jack Charlton.

He's not the future, he's building nothing...merely passing through

dogpile wrote: »
    My single worry is Trapattoni himself....as Dunphy correctly put it, he's a poor mans Jack Charlton.

You would have been absolutely mauled if you posted that at four o'clock this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

You would have been absolutely mauled if you posted that at four o'clock this afternoon.

Is that the new witching hour? good job I didn't, can do without being mauled on weekdays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Wouldn't give Dunphy too much credibility, he's only a wind up merchant; a real-life troll. Even if Guus Hiddink was the Ireland manager, he still wouldn't be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

In fairness when his greatest critics are demanding that Lee Carsley be played in the team, they have bit of a cheek to be using not planning for the future as a stick with which to beat him.(not a dig at you btw, just a general comment).

I dont think you get me, i think Trappattoni is a great man and a great manager and i think he is doing a great job.
    I don't think you get me. When I asked what do people what from Trap it was more so a rhetorical question asked in exasperation. The guy is getting results and we have a real chance of qualifying yet people are still complaining.

So you can spare your crusade for someone else.
    Haha. Crusade.

I don't think you get me. When I asked what do people what from Trap it was more so a rhetorical question asked in exasperation.

Well i didnt know that. I answered as if you geniuinely wanted to know what more we wanted.

My answer came from a "We are doing well, but we might be doing better if we..." point of view.

Should we qualify, Trappattoni will have proved my worries to have been needless. Because he will have proven that we can qualify with players like Liam Miller in the squad (plus my other worrries). And i will be delighted.

Just like Fantasy Football.

Lampard didn't get a hattrick last week.......GONE!

• Advertisement
Advertisement