Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

receiving an e-mail

• 24-08-2009 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

hello everyone, i had to send an e-mail to some course lecturers to get some info on the course im thinking of doing but i just wanted to ask how long does it usually take them to reply? and will they only reply when the school year starts or will they always reply? thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

hello everyone, i had to send an e-mail to some course lecturers to get some info on the course im thinking of doing but i just wanted to ask how long does it usually take them to reply? and will they only reply when the school year starts or will they always reply? thanks in advance

I take it that you are not a registered student? If you sent it using gmail/yahoo/hotmail it will probably be ignored. Many lecturers have e-mails from such accounts filtered so chances are the lecturer in question will never see the email you sent. They will most likely check emails from student email accounts.

If your enquiry is important to you then ring their extension no to get a hold of him/her quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Or try the ringing/emailing the department office of the course you want to find out about. The administrators are usually fairly good at answering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

he contacted me back this morning,,, he wasnt very nice in his e mail he was a tad abrupt he answered none of my questions

he contacted me back this morning,,, he wasnt very nice in his e mail he was a tad abrupt he answered none of my questions

From my expierence, lecturers or professors dont really seemed interested in answering questions of any kind - they either dont reply to email, or if asking in person will direct you to the book, lecture notes or teaching assistant. Saying this though there are some of the more younger ones who can be more helpful.

The best place to go for advice in my opinon on a certain course is by asking other students who are in or finished the course. They will be much more helpful and might give some very useful advice, subject content or nice tips. Even if you know a friend of a friend of a friend ask them, or try posting here again asking for advice on the actual course, there might be some boardsie here who are studying your course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

when yu say " there not interested in answering questions of any kind " what about if im in there class and having trouble will they help me then or answer my questions then ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

when yu say " there not interested in answering questions of any kind " what about if im in there class and having trouble will they help me then or answer my questions then ?

Yes they will but it's also not their job to hand hold people through a module. They'll give you the material and point you toward sources of extra stuff too. There's plenty of support in UL for people e.g. the maths learning centre and I think there is also an equivalent for languages too so you won't be stuck.

You can also post up here like people have been doing for years and there's a good chance that someone will be able to help you out.

Like what rmacm said, most would answer a quick question for you after a lecture, but if your having problems with course content you are expected to try and sort it out yourself by researching and reading thourgh textbooks in the library. A lecturer is very different to a teacher as most of them have their own research and lecturing is a second priority. They wont care if you dont show up to lectures, tutorials, do questions or read course material - its all up to yourself at third level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

rmacm wrote: »
    Yes they will but it's also not their job to hand hold people through a module. They'll give you the material and point you toward sources of extra stuff too. There's plenty of support in UL for people e.g. the maths learning centre and I think there is also an equivalent for languages too so you won't be stuck.

You can also post up here like people have been doing for years and there's a good chance that someone will be able to help you out.

Some of them are out the door come 5 pm

The story of my life in UL

YFlyer wrote: »
    Some of them are out the door come 5 pm

Your point is? Not taking a dig at you but people have lives too, I like to try and get out of work at 17:00 too sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't but if they've worked their 8 hours then there's nothing wrong with them going.

• Advertisement

Well Donn Barry gave the rallying call for the staff to put in the extra hours so that the university could move up the world rankings.

Agree a number of researchers and lecturers may put in extra hours. However the technicians takes the biscuit with their 1 hour lunch break and two 30 minute coffee breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well Donn Barry gave the rallying call for the staff to put in the extra hours so that the university could move up the world rankings.
    He meant researching, not answering emails.

ninty9er wrote: »
    He meant researching, not answering emails.

Maybe theyre all too busy researching to answer emails so:D

The majority of Lecturers have office hours too for you to see them.

He also said that professors should get more involved with undergrads.

He also said that professors should get more involved with undergrads.
    As in lecture them as opposed to be the course director. This is already practiced by some very accessible professors.

It's to be commended, but none of it means working after 5.

As in lecture them as opposed to be the course director. This is already practiced by some very accessible professors.

It's to be commended, but none of it means working after 5.

He did mention the weekends as well.

Agree a number of researchers and lecturers may put in extra hours. However the technicians takes the biscuit with their 1 hour lunch break and two 30 minute coffee breaks.

I get a 1 hour lunch break at work and two other breaks during the day too 15 - 30 minutes but I do work this up. People are entitled to breaks by law of course some people take the piss but you can't tar everyone with the same brush.

Hell yes I used a cliche but it's one that I damn well believe in.

Would you work weekends without pay? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Did he now...must have missed that:rolleyes:

Did he now...must have missed that:rolleyes:

Try his 11th March address

• Advertisement
Advertisement