Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much Money?

Options
  • 24-08-2009 6:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi all,

I want to get a working holiday visa and go to australia for a few months, my girlfriend who is from australia just went back last week so she can sort out a permenant visa for here so we planned that I'd go over next month and we'd stay there for about 6-9 months then come back to Ireland, the only problem is. . I only have about 3000 aussie dollars to take with me and the visa app says I need 5000, I understand that you cant go over with no money but I have a place to live once I get there already so wont need money for rent and have a few jobs lined up already. Do things like that ever get taken into consideration or is it just a set price no matter if you actualy need that much or not? I know I could just wait and earn more money before going, but I dont want to be 2 months at least away from my girlfriend. its not really much of a relationship then at all lol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Im came out here in March on a WHV, i saved up the $5000, and an additional $1000 cause i was travelling on a 1 way ticket, I had a folder of bank statements and forms and stuff with me and when i got to the immigration booth in Perth Airport, they scanned my passport and waved me through. I was so relieved, cause i was expecting having to explain to yer man and that, not what ya wanna do after 25hours travelling.

Im not advising that you dont bother with that stuff, cause they probably check a good few people. i was probably just lucky.:)

Can you borrow the money and pay it back when you get to Oz? all you need is to have it in your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You should be fine, customs rarely check this money.
    If you can prove you have 3k and say a visa card or even a guardian for money then I'm sure they might take this into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭daauneal

I might be able to borrow but dont think so, but I dont need to prove I have 5 grand to get the visa then ? Its just for incase they ask me at the airport? I mean, would they really tell me I cant enter the country cause i dont have enough money even If I have close to the amount needed and would be spending less then the average person with no accomadation sorted when they get there. Im going to get a return ticket I think as its only an extra 130 euro for a return with through usit and I can change the date for free as well so there basicly open ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

daauneal wrote: »
    I might be able to borrow but dont think so, but I dont need to prove I have 5 grand to get the visa then ? Its just for incase they ask me at the airport? I mean, would they really tell me I cant enter the country cause i dont have enough money even If I have close to the amount needed and would be spending less then the average person with no accomadation sorted when they get there. Im going to get a return ticket I think as its only an extra 130 euro for a return with through usit and I can change the date for free as well so there basicly open ended.
    No you don't have to prove it when getting visa
    the only time you will be asked is at the airport, and the chances of this are slim.

I very much doubt you'd be turned away for 2k missing if you have 3k and a place to stay.

If you get a return ticket then usually this suffices for entry into the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Any chance of a few paragraphs...

Thankfully hussey is right if you have 3000 and a visa card with another 3 grand I would say you would be right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Just say that your Girlfriend while in Ireland stayed your place free of charge...........and that you now expect the Irish tradition of her returning the favor.

If asked about the money just say you have a return ticket and $3000 beer fund and your girlfriend owes you a few grand. Your GF should be able to help you out with a bit of work maybe with friends, father, brother etc etc

youll be alright mate and dont forget to have a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Just say that your Girlfriend while in Ireland stayed your place free of charge...........and that you now expect the Irish tradition of her returning the favor.

If asked about the money just say you have a return ticket and $3000 beer fund and your girlfriend owes you a few grand. Your GF should be able to help you out with a bit of work maybe with friends, father, brother etc etc

youll be alright mate and dont forget to have a good time.

Sarcasm I hope, because that'll never work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Confab wrote: »
    Sarcasm I hope, because that'll never work.

Ha ha no Sarcasm at all, if the original poster has $3000 and a return ticket (probably worth approx at least $1500) plus his GF is willing to put him up why wouldnt it work?

I been living in Australia 5 years and have found that DIAC (Dept of Immigration) are not that strict especially when it comes to Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

I was scanned straight through Perth Airport as well, wasn't asked for anything, nothing about nothing basically.

Advertisement