Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for members of IDF re:knives

• 24-08-2009 6:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Hi. I was just wondering if it's true that the IDF are issued with Victorinox knives. I was looking at Peterson's website and they mention it. I've never heard that before. If it's true, what version of the knife is it? I have the original Soldier knife and was just scanning around for the new Soldier when I read that.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If your talking about the Irish Defence Forces then 'no', we're not issued with Victorinox knives. Or anyother sort for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

I doubt you'll find many of the Israeli Defense Forces posting here. Try boards.il

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

As far as im aware, swiss army knives are not issued to members of the Irish Army.

Im sure you have gathered by now, the acronym IDF is most commonly used to refer to the Israeli Defence Forces and not the Irish Defence Forces which is more commonly reffered to simply as the PDF (Permanent Defence Forces) or in the case of reserves, the RDF or just Irish Defence Forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

So, misleading info on that website then. Apologies for using "IDF" in reference to the PDF.:o A guy I worked with was in the army and called it that a few times, but he was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Or indeed, the sharpest spoon, for that matter. Another ex-soldier who knew him said he often pronounced Lieutenant incorrectly:)
    Makikomi, you mean not issued with a basic pocket knife as opposed to any type of knife? Do soldiers buy their own? Is there any preference (Leatherman, Swiss Army, Spyderco etc.)? Just curious.
    testicle, I may just register on boards.il. A simple purchase of a pocket knife has turned into a research project at this stage:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

il gatto wrote: »
    Hi. I was just wondering if it's true that the IDF are issued with Victorinox knives. I was looking at Peterson's website and they mention it. I've never heard that before. If it's true, what version of the knife is it? I have the original Soldier knife and was just scanning around for the new Soldier when I read that.
    Thanks.

The last Eastern Brigade trip to Chad got those knives. Don't know if they paid for them or if they were on issue. They were the very same as the one on the website but black in colour and had an FF crest on them in gold.

Man, I know a hell of a lot about nothing :P

• Advertisement

Hard Larry wrote: »
    The last Eastern Brigade trip to Chad got those knives. Don't know if they paid for them or if they were on issue. They were the very same as the one on the website but black in colour and had an FF crest on them in gold.

Man, I know a hell of a lot about nothing :P

So the plot thickens. Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I was issued one for the first trip to Chad, its got the capbadge on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

benwavner wrote: »
    I was issued one for the first trip to Chad, its got the capbadge on it.

Thats news!.

Was there a reason given as to why it was on issue?.

Apparently they were originally meant to be issued to a Recruit platoon in the west...........then they were just given to us when we got there, no idea why. Bog standard, nothing special the crest didnt last too long though, pity would be a good souviner (sp?) for someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spartacus1052

Fighting Knives are only on issue to the ARW, the iniatial entry force into Chad were all issued personal knives, they were part of a batch that was specifically bought for that purpose. I cant recall the brand name but every soldier got one. Here is a snap of the pocket knife that went on issue to the first trip to Chad. I dont know if anybody else got them because I went home!!

• Advertisement

Fighting Knives are only on issue to the ARW, the iniatial entry force into Chad were all issued personal knives, they were part of a batch that was specifically bought for that purpose. I cant recall the brand name but every soldier got one. Here is a snap of the pocket knife that went on issue to the first trip to Chad. I dont know if anybody else got them because I went home!!

Yep, thats the one!

Our BQ on the mission told us they were originally for a Recruit Platoon.

That's a one handed Trekker. It's the basis for the new Swiss Army and German Army issue knife.
    Spartacus1052, if the the soldiers aren't usually isued with a pocket knife and only ARW get fighting knives, does that mean a soldier only gets a bayonet, or are you including that under fighting knives? What exactly is standard issue these days in the PDF? (see, I've learned:D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

That's a one handed Trekker. It's the basis for the new Swiss Army and German Army issue knife.
    Spartacus1052, if the the soldiers aren't usually isued with a pocket knife and only ARW get fighting knives, does that mean a soldier only gets a bayonet, or are you including that under fighting knives? What exactly is standard issue these days in the PDF? (see, I've learned:D).

http://www.rvops.co.uk/cadets-104/cooking-107/knife-fork-spoon-clip-set-1979.html

Other than bayonets thats the only other knife the Army is trained to use...and must of us just use the spoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Anyone have one of those knives left? I'd really like one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

? Do soldiers buy their own? Is there any preference (Leatherman, Swiss Army, Spyderco etc.)? Just curious.
    testicle, I may just register on boards.il. A simple purchase of a pocket knife has turned into a research project at this stage:o.

In my experience its between leatherman and victorinox at the moment, with some people carrying a leatherman and a small victorinox (don't knock wenger - they're the same company as victorinox and identical in quality, just less "traditional" these days) or one or the other. I've some carrying buck knives in my time as well.

Whats the issue ARW fighting knife then?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭dahamster

Morphéus wrote: »
    Whats the issue ARW fighting knife then?

You must pass the underwater knifefighting course before you may glean that information.

I thought I had to do the underwater submarine infiltration course before I could do that one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

No thats been scrapped Morph, its all about the Danish Underwater shovel fighting these days. I heard that the wing are all trained in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

mtb_kng wrote: »

I was told only 500 were made so I presume we're looking at a collectors item. I know i told my Buddy that if he leaves his locker open around me everything else is safe but the knife is mine!!:D

• Advertisement

SIRREX wrote: »
    I was told only 500 were made so I presume we're looking at a collectors item. I know i told my Buddy that if he leaves his locker open around me everything else is safe but the knife is mine!!:D

I wonder if we can get some made :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Husqvarna

How much would you be willing to part with for one?

Husqvarna wrote: »
    How much would you be willing to part with for one?
    Depends on it's condition.

Depends on it's condition.

Pretty much as-new. Still have the box and instructions leaflet etc.

Husqvarna wrote: »
    Pretty much as-new. Still have the box and instructions leaflet etc.

instructions leaflet?

for a knife?

eh... "now taking the blunt end of the knife, point the sharp end away from you"

Morphéus wrote: »
    instructions leaflet?

for a knife?

eh... "now taking the blunt end of the knife, point the sharp end away from you"

What can I say. There's a box and it has instructions within. How to open a can and how not to chop off fingers etc. I suppose it's reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

מה?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭now radio soldier

hi guys,i recently got two of the knifes with crest on them,still in box and unused,i payed mad money on them,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

Sorry to be digging up an old thread but if anyone has one in good condition and is interested in parting ways with it can you send me a PM please.

Thanks!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement