Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Aston Villa Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

M5 wrote: »
    for god's sake, thats two losses, seriously the season is 3 games old

If you go 2 pages back, I stated the same thing. Too early to count any team out. United have already dropped points, etc. Thats NOTHING to do with the question "What are rafa's faults?" which i answered, stubborness. which many would agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

i dont understand how benitez thought crouch and keane were surplus to requirements and that voronin , babel and ngog were better options. He's a very stubborn bloke is benitez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Well done Villa, was not expecting that result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

for god's sake, thats two losses, seriously the season is 3 games old

True, and if the current point/game return continues, we'll be lucky to stay up.

We seriously need another midfielder AND Aquilani fit. Tonight was my last straw for Lucas. He's sh1te, and I don't care how much abuse Karma will throw at me or anyone else who criticises Lucas - he's crap. Possibly one of the worst centre midfielders ever at the club.

How I'd LOVE to have Sissoko on the bench :(

Poor result but the over reactions on here are unreal, amusing infact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rossie1977 wrote: »
    utd has twice, 1995 they lost the opening game to villa 3-1, 1992 utd lost their opening 2 games and drew the third and still won the league

having said that liverpool won't win the league this year
    incorrect.

United were hammered by Villa on the opening day in 95/96, Hansen said you'd never win anything with kids, and we won the double that season.

Thanks lads!! Don't know where I got that idea from. :confused: Cheers for the correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

RasTa wrote: »
    Villa -1 @35/1 for me. One can dream as the defence didn't look to solid against Spurs and I hope somehow Gabby and Young can exploit the lack of pace at CB.

YES!!!!!!

Liverpool players tonight there is

Martha stomps this out btw, worth a listen.

Only had a tenner on but cheers Villa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

incorrect.

United were hammered by Villa on the opening day in 95/96, Hansen said you'd never win anything with kids, and we won the double that season.

United lost to Sheff United and Everton, followed by a home draw to Ipswich in 1992
    very first prem, who won that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

To be honest, it's been like this for a while now.

I do hope you get a decent manager.

my point as a neutral is that the season is young, united have made horrendous starts and won the league.... now is not the time to be talking about sacking the man who won liverpool their biggest prize in a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

So yeah........

As I said last wednesday, Lucas worked his bollocks off. However that was against Stoke, and he did nothing more than put in a hard shift. So I said lets not get carried away and see what happens. What happened? He bottled the game, and against mediocre opposition in Sidwell and Reo Coker.

And as I said when we signed Aquilani, we are suffering right now for signing a replacement for Alonso who is out for two months.

Just a disaster tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

john47832 wrote: »

the obvious replacement in Alonsos position is Stevie G however Benitez seems to know better than everyone else

i think rafa knows more about gerrard than most in fairness, gerrard has scored 93 goals under rafa in 5 seasons, in the 5 seasons prior to that gerrard scored 27 goals barely over a quarter

The Muppet wrote: »
    I know but they have now lost the same amount of games as they did in the whole of last season and Arsenal , Chelsea and Tottenham all look stronger than last year. Liverpool need to go on an incredible winning run to stay in the race imo.

No arguments here. Is a very steep and lengthy road ahead of us now. And the indications are there for all to see that Alonso is a massive loss. Not forgetting how smooth Chelsea look so far as well.

What, one of the worst passers we have had in recent years?

Mash does the job Sissoko used to and is 10 times better at it. We need a playmaker asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sacking Rafa? Only fools are talking of doing so at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Lads, Istanbul was in 2005.

Stop making the same excuse, I believe Liverpool deserve better and can do than what they have at the moment.

You're in danger of dropping out of the Top 4, with Spurs and Man City threatening.

my point as a neutral is that the season is young, united have made horrendous starts and won the league.... now is not the time to be talking about sacking the man who won liverpool their biggest prize in a long time

But does that mean you ignore everything else? He never should have sold crouch. Never should have sold Keane. Never should have tried to sell alonso. Persisting with sub standard players. Persisting with zonal marking. I mean honestly, this stuff comes up every game for a reason. "worst manager in the league" comments are beyond stupid, but the man is a tool at times and Liverpool wont win the premiership with him at the helm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There was a lot of talk last season about United's poor form early in the season but they actually only lost once in their opening 10 games and that was to Liverpool, losing 2-1 at Anfield.

In the whole of last season United only lost four games. The two defeats to Liverpool, the away defeat to Arsenal at the Emirates and the defeat away to Fulham.

Already Liverpool have lost twice to Tottenham away and to Villa at home. Considering they have still to play the top four it is worrying stuff for a team with ambitions for the title.

True, and if the current point/game return continues, we'll be lucky to stay up.

We seriously need another midfielder AND Aquilani fit. Tonight was my last straw for Lucas. He's sh1te, and I don't care how much abuse Kara will throw at me or anyone else who criticises Lucas - he's crap. Possibly one of the worst centre midfielders ever at the club.

again, not my point, the season is only starting, no need to hang anyone just yet. Man U lost to burnley remember, maybe SAF should be sacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Perfect gameplan from Villa.
    Unreal result, :D Everybody did their job to perfection.
    Even Nicky Shorey was decent. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Poor result but the over reactions on here are unreal, amusing infact.

You should of been on the Burnley thread then, the f-ing and blinding was everywhere.

That's the thing that strikes me with pool fans, when we lose it's ah it's ok, next time, potential, blah, blah, blah. With utd fans it's fine to throw a hissy fit, cos they expect to win. Big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Lol at anybody suggesting Liverpool are out of the title race, it's August FFS!
    If United get beat at the weekend does that mean they are out of the title race too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

eddiehead wrote: »
    If United get beat at the weekend does that mean they are out of the title race too?

obviously :rolleyes: ;)

Kirby wrote: »
    But does that mean you ignore everything else? He never should have sold crouch. Never should have sold Keane. Never should have tried to sell alonso. Persisting with sub standard players. Persisting with zonal marking. I mean honestly, this stuff comes up every game for a reason. "worst manager in the league" comments are beyond stupid, but the man is a tool at times and Liverpool wont win the premiership with him at the helm.

who do you support as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Yes , i really hope so ,could you make that come true for us lol :D

And maybe sack SAF too hehehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Terrible stuff.

Its sad to see one donkey (lucas) coming off for an even bigger donkey (voronin).

From what ive seen tonight and at Spurs is that we are REALLY missing that link from mascherano to Gerrard.

I just wish Aquilani was back sooner as Im confident now that ive been right since last year that lucas simply isnt good enough. Hes not productive at all.

Perfect example was when Gerrard dropped deeper when Lucas came off. Straight away we had straight quick passes forward and gerrard outside the box was dangerous.

Im also confident we will beat Bolton at the weekend and I reckon we will finish around 3rd this year so its not all doom and gloom :rolleyes:.

I feel sorry for Rafa because its evident we need to go out and buy someone thats a bit special in terms of quality but we simply have nothing to spend. Where that 16 million from Keane and the 30 million from Alonso deal has gone (along with our transfer budget) its a bit depressing to think its fending of debts.

Personally I think it would do no harm to throw in the likes of pacheco and nemeth more often now and tell Voronin to **** off.When he jumped over that tackle tonight when we were 3-1 down my blood was boiling.:mad:

• Advertisement

selling crouch and keane was a no-brainer, every time keane was on the bench the media gave rafa huge stick, same with crouch, neither player wanted to play back-up, both wanted to start each game

Jausus, over reaction there lad, its a loss against a reasonable side where a rub of the green would have seen the pool win. Its not as if ye were played off the park. Villa did very well but liverpool were also misfiring!

The zonal marking thing is a moot point, it saves you plenty of times too!

the man is no fool, lads seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

i think rafa knows more about gerrard than most in fairness, gerrard has scored 93 goals under rafa in 5 seasons, in the 5 seasons prior to that gerrard scored 27 goals barely over a quarter

fair point - but who gets the ball to him in the positions he gets into ?? Lucas ? Mascherano ?

All leauge winning sides/ top sides have had ball players in midfield, wheres ours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

You know I actually feel sorry for Rafa if he had the money he could bring the title to Anfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Liam O wrote: »
    obviously :rolleyes: ;)

One horse race baby! yeeaahhh!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Villain wrote: »
    You know I actually feel sorry for Rafa if he had the money he could bring the title to Anfield

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

It's laughable is'nt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Chelsea: Drogba, Anelka, Di Santo, Schevchenko (lol)

Di Santo is out on loan to Blackburn.

Kalou, Sturridge would be our other front men

You would too if you looked at Liverpool's statistics at defending set pieces since 2004.

Jausus, over reaction there lad, its a loss against a reasonable side where a rub of the green would have seen the pool win. Its not as if ye were played off the park. Villa did very well but liverpool were also misfiring!

The zonal marking thing is a moot point, it saves you plenty of times too!

the man is no fool, lads seriously

It's been my opinion for a long time. I've posted as much. This is only one game, its not going to decide the season. But it just reinforces my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

any chance of spearing getting a run at bolton?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    :confused:

If Rafa could buy a top class striker like Villa I think they could win the title, simple really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

selling crouch and keane was a no-brainer, every time keane was on the bench the media gave rafa huge stick, same with crouch, neither player wanted to play back-up, both wanted to start each game

Keane never got a fair chance, even when he playing well he was subbed or not picked for the next game, how may times did he play 90 mins for pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

again, not my point, the season is only starting, no need to hang anyone just yet. Man U lost to burnley remember, maybe SAF should be sacked?

Burnley are no mugs, theyve now beaten the best teams in Manchester and Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Sacking Rafa? Only fools are talking of doing so at this point.

to be fair there has been talk of sacking him for quite a while now, IMO his judgement is not good enough to win Premier League

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If Rafa could buy a top class striker like Villa I think they could win the title, simple really

where would gerrard go ?

Already Liverpool have lost twice to Tottenham away and to Villa at home. Considering they have still to play the top four it is worrying stuff for a team with ambitions for the title.

again not saying liverpool will win the league but this applies to all the top teams and its been clear for a few years, a draw in the premier league is almost no better than a defeat if you are going for the title, liverpool lost twice last year but drew 11, utd losing twice as many but drawing half the games

it was the same the previous year, liverpool lost less games than utd but drew 13 to utds 6, chelsea lost only 3 games but lost the league because they drew 10 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

only1stevo wrote: »
    Burnley are no mugs, theyve now beaten the best teams in Manchester and Liverpool.

Oh, I see what you did there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

He has had plenty of money to spend over the last few seasons, how much money does one need?

If Aquilani was fit, it would help in games like this. They should hope he gets fit as soon as possible. Mascherano and Lucas just isnt going to work. Gerrard should play centrally until hes fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

OPENROAD wrote: »
    He has had plenty of money to spend over the last few seasons, how much money does one need?

babel around 11m down the drain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Headshot wrote: »
    where would gerrard go ?

Drop him in alonside mascherano. It happend tonight on 60 minutes when lucas came off and we instantly looked more dangerous from midfield. Only problem we had that tit voronin hoping over tackles which is inexcuseable.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Keane never got a fair chance, even when he playing well he was subbed or not picked for the next game, how may times did he play 90 mins for pool.

keane got a fair crack, he was awful for 90% of the time he was on the field as a liverpool player

Headshot wrote: »
    where would gerrard go ?
    Replace Alonso, Mascha holding Gerrard pushing on with Torres and Villa up front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

C'mon now, he had his chance to resign Heskey.

edit: Does anyone appreciate this great joke? :confused::o:)

Advertisement