Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Aston Villa Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

joe123 wrote: »
    Drop him in alonside mascherano. It happend tonight on 60 minutes when lucas came off and we instantly looked more dangerous from midfield. Only problem we had that tit voronin hoping over tackles which is inexcuseable.

I thought torres and gerrard are the best striking force in the league :confused:

Kirby wrote: »
    If Aquilani was fit, it would help in games like this. They should hope he gets fit as soon as possible. Mascherano and Lucas just isnt going to work. Gerrard should play centrally until hes fit.

And who up front with Torres?

Your posts are the worst I've ever read for a supposed pool fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

OPENROAD wrote: »
    He has had plenty of money to spend over the last few seasons, how much money does one need?
    So have most of the top 4, he has improved and with Utd loosing Ronaldo I thought this year could have been his year to deliver but having to rely on Voronin to come on and make an impact says a lot imo

I'm not defending Rafa I don't like the pool but I like to see a close run league and not giving Rafa money makes his team weaker and in turn the league weaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

The Muppet wrote: »
    Keane never got a fair chance, even when he playing well he was subbed or not picked for the next game, how may times did he play 90 mins for pool.

I think rafas treatment of Keane was a disgarce to be honest !
    Jez i mean , babel and ngog or whatever his name is etc are not going to win us the title , never in a month of fridays :( they are not what i would call liverpool standard players , but rafa thinks so and hes the manager , wonder how many more years he will have before they call his boat in , after tonights result we are playing catchup bigtime ( AGAIN ) ,hope for a good win against Bolton to steady the ship . i hate this losing feeling ,come on Liverpool ffs

Anyone esle think the Kop was dead quite tonight ? Very Errie :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

rarnes1 wrote: »

Exactly. Why do pool only have one quality striker? Who's fault is that? If it was up to me, I would drop gerrard back into midfield until aquilani is fit. Its the only option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Your posts are the worst I've ever read for a pool fan

thats not even the point - the point is the forwards need supply - how is that so hard to understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

only1stevo wrote: »
    Burnley are no mugs, theyve now beaten the best teams in Manchester and Liverpool.

Nicely done

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Villain wrote: »
    So have most of the top 4, he has improved and with Utd loosing Ronaldo I thought this year could have been his year to deliver but having to rely on Voronin to come on and make an impact says a lot imo

I'm not defending Rafa I don't like the pool but I like to see a close run league and not giving Rafa money makes his team weaker and in turn the league weaker

Arsenal haven't, it would appear Liverpool have had enough over the last few years to spend, maybe they should be more prudent.

he bought an injured midfield whose out for around 8 weeks,that's pretty big fu'ck up tbh

aquaman could be a find player but liverpool could be out of the running before aquaman comes back

Too many fair-weather pool fans on tonight me thinks :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

You know I actually feel sorry for Rafa if he had the money he could bring the title to Anfield

By that reasoning - City are going to walk away with it :rolleyes:

And your talk of Villa - eh, we couldn't afford his old boots at the moment, even if he wanted to come.

We need a change of system for the short term.

Personally, Riera out left, Benny in the middle ahead of Masch, and Gerrard / Torres up front. I'll struggle with having to keep Kuyt out on the wing - I've been saying for ages we need someone decent out on the right, someone able to take on a defender, take a chance. Kuyt is just too.....safe.

because being a "fan" means being an ostrich and ignoring everything? Liverpool were the better team tonight, Midfield created loads, Lucas is clearly the bestest player everest? k than. you keep thinking that.

Headshot wrote: »
    he bought an injured midfield whose out for around 8 weeks,that's pretty big fu'ck up tbh

aquaman

" aquaman " that gave me a chuckle Headshot , thank you , needed that ! :D

By that reasoning - City are going to walk away with it :rolleyes:

You know they might in a few years just like Chelsea did after they splashed the cash

Stargate wrote: »
    " aquaman " that gave me a chuckle Headshot , thank you , needed that ! :D

hell I dont have a clue how to spell his name ;)

and too lazy to google

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Arsenal haven't, it would appear Liverpool have had enough over the last few years to spend, maybe they should be more prudent.

and what have arsenal won in that time?? liverpool have finished ahead of arsenal 4 out of the last 5 seasons

more prudent liverpool have a net spend of zero last two years, you cannot be more prudent than that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rossie1977 wrote: »
    keane got a fair crack, he was awful for 90% of the time he was on the field as a liverpool player

The grass can always be greener on the other side if you want it to be. When Keane was at Liverpool, Rafa was endlessly criticized for him being there. Now that he's back at Spurs, he's endlessly criticized for letting him go. Keane had a couple of very good games at Liverpool, and a strong career track record. But he was way off form, seemed generally unhappy, and if the option to get out of the deal in a decent way financially was on the table I don't think it was a terrible course of action for any of the parties involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

tbf you can't really expect fans not to be fairly upset after losing 2 of the first 3 games when you were supposed to be contenders this season. It's still early but ye could be fairly screwed if it isn't sorted out soon. Same story with United looking at the games coming up...

Im not sure whats worse - Rose tinted pool supporters or Man U supporters :mad:

Tonight was a reality check that proved Liverpools squad is nowhere near strong enough and not capable of winning the league this year, and under Rafa is questionable if that will ever change - too late this year to change anyway

LUCKY LLOYD - you closed the Utd Burnley thread 5 mins after the game the other night - we are waiting!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think the regs would agree I am usually critical of Rafa and certain players at times but whats going on tonight is way over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

Headshot wrote: »

aquaman could be a find player but liverpool could be out of the running before aquaman comes back

well ferguson did the same, the difference being we're not relying on that midfielder and by the looks of things liverpool are..

john47832 wrote: »
    LUCKY LLOYD - you closed the Utd Burnley thread 5 mins after the game the other night - we are waiting!!

Jesus I know we were poor against Wigan but don't start comparing us to Burnley please! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

So just because he supports Liverpool, he should toe the line and not criticise the manager? Ridiculous!

Can't see Liverpool ever winning the League with Kuyt in the team, nevermind Lucas & Voronin.

and what have arsenal won in that time?? liverpool have finished ahead of arsenal 4 out of the last 5 seasons

more prudent liverpool have a net spend of zero last two years, you cannot be more prudent than that :)

Fair enough, wasn't sure of the net spend. Link?

What is the spend over the last four/five seasons?

Liverpool finishing ahead of Arsenal in 4 out of the last 5 seasons doesn't mean that much really unless they have finished first ;)

because being a "fan" means being an ostrich and ignoring everything? Liverpool were the better team tonight, Midfield created loads, Lucas is clearly the bestest player everest? k than. you keep thinking that.

who said those things? I didn't. We were muck tonight, lucus is a decent squad player who had a poor game but so did Gerrard and plenty more.

Fans on asking for the managers head after 3 games clearly haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

This is what kind of makes my blood boil. When Liverpool were fcuking around with signing numerous other wasters, Wenger at Arsenal, was signing actual quality. Vieira, Petit, Overmars, Bergkamp, Grimandi. It gave him the platform to build a successful team, while at the same time, developing the underage structure so that he wouldn't be dependent in the financially hard years to come, to pay to build a team, so that to such an extent, Fabianski, Sagna, Diaby, Eboue, Cesc, Song, Vela, Clichy, Bendtner, Gibbs , all are first team and decent players for the cost of zip.

Not only has Benetiz had to rebuild a poor first team, with some but not a ridiculous amount of money, but he's had to rebuild the academy too.

If he goes, it could be bad for a long time to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ob wrote: »
    So just because he supports Liverpool, he should toe the line and not criticise the manager? Ridiculous!

Can't see Liverpool ever winning the League with Kuyt in the team, nevermind Lucas & Voronin.

You see anybody still using the 'Kuyt is crap' argument that was popular 3 years ago loses all respect in my opinion.

How many goals did he score from his position last year do you know?

Was it his fault in particular that we finished 4 points off the pace last season?

first point is a fair one but....

Liverpool were the better team tonight

they created more than villa

lucas, the jury is out (still)

I think that ye are light up front. To get the best from torres i think you need a motivational factor like a sub breathing down his neck. He was poor tonight, granted he scored but he did his best to miss the damn thing. Competition is essential to any team with aspirations to win/challenge for the PL

Also the midfield needs strengthening. Last season they did so well when alsons/gerrard were injured but without them i cant see any player who can pick out a quality pass at regular intervals.

I suspect that rafa will dip into the kitty before the window closes. I feel that that will have a massive influence on your fortunes this year, however some seasons the league winners loose 2 others they loose 5/6....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

im a die hard liverpool fan but WTF:confused: if we lose 1 more game this season i think we are out of the title race:(6 points behind in just 3 games is pathetic...im lost for words...

• Advertisement

who said those things? I didn't. We were muck tonight, lucus is a decent squad player who had a poor game but so did Gerrard and plenty more.

Nobody in here has "asked for his head after three games". You act like we don't know what rafa is about by now....like this is his first season or something.

Besides, its silly to sack a manager once the season has started unless you can bring in a better replacement....which they can't.

JPA wrote: »
    C'mon now, he had his chance to resign Heskey.

edit: Does anyone appreciate this great joke? :confused::o:)

thanks wh*re :p:p:p

since when has it been only 3 games??

denial is not just a river in egypt

noodler wrote: »
    You see anybody still using the 'Kuyt is crap' argument that was popular 3 years ago loses all respect in my opinion.

How many goals did he score from his position last year do you know?

Was it his fault in particular that we finished 4 points off the pace last season?

Well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Rafa has spent circa £78 million on players in the last two seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

M5 wrote: »
    first point is a fair one but....

Liverpool were the better team tonight

they created more than villa

lucas, the jury is out (still)

I think that ye are light up front. To get the best from torres i think you need a motivational factor like a sub breathing down his neck. He was poor tonight, granted he scored but he did his best to miss the damn thing. Competition is essential to any team with aspirations to win/challenge for the PL

Also the midfield needs strengthening. Last season they did so well when alsons/gerrard were injured but without them i cant see any player who can pick out a quality pass at regular intervals.

I suspect that rafa will dip into the kitty before the window closes. I feel that that will have a massive influence on your fortunes this year, however some seasons the league winners loose 2 others they loose 5/6....

They created more but you're neglecting that they only scored one.
    You'd have to be Rafas wife to suggest Villa didn't deserve the victory.

• Advertisement

Not quite zero according to this, my point being, maybe he should spend more prudently with the funds he actually has.

http://transferleague.co.uk/data/data_files/sheet007.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No I didn't, I waited till the next day. This one will be locked when it is deemed appropriate to do so.

If there are any more questions on this you can contact me about the subject via PM.

Anyone esle think Rafa will make a surprise buy before the window closes ?
    ( and i dont mean another greek for 1.5mil ) or is there really NO cash at the club for him to spend ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I note that the last time United failed to win the Premier league (2005-06) they lost 2 games in their opening 10. In the subsequent years when they won the title they only lost once in 10 games.

It would also seem a team can't really afford more than 5 defeats in the course of a season.

I dont believe Liverpool are out of the title race but I think they're veering very dangerously close to the edge of dropping right out of it, mainly because Chelsea don't look like dropping any points at the minute.

denial is not just a river in egypt

that's an oldie :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Kingdom wrote: »
    This is what kind of makes my blood boil. When Liverpool were fcuking around with signing numerous other wasters, Wenger at Arsenal, was signing actual quality. Vieira, Petit, Overmars, Bergkamp, Grimandi.

grimandi :eek: and bruce rioch signed bergkamp

The Rafa haters are out in force probably delighted we lost :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

You need to wait up to reality, we lost to Villa, at home with nearly full strength squad. Villa who lost to Wigan at home, who got thumped 5-0 by Utd. What excuses are there if the aspiration is to win the title?

Lets not get side-tracked into a net spend arguement. this isnt really the thread for it.

The selection was wrong tonight. Liverpool are light up front and in the middle. This was fairly obvious.

On the plus side, I think Johnson was a good signing and has impressed me every time i've seen him play. Worth the money imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

don't start comparing us to Burnley please! ;)

Yea, ye've only won 1 game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The Muppet wrote: »
    Rafa has spent circa £78 million on players in the last two seasons.

using the most commonly quoted transfer prices, rafa has made a profit in the transfer market over that period.

even if you use the highest transfer prices quoted, i think it works out at about 5m net spend in the same period.

Rafa is working with his hands tied behind his back big time & still bringing the team forward.

As someone already pointed out, are Utd out of the title race if Arsenal beat em at the weekend? no, they are not, nor are we after tonight, but we have to improve.

Lets not get side-tracked into a net spend arguement. this isnt really the thread for it. The selection was wrong tonight. Liverpool are light up front and in the middle. This was fairly obvious.

On the plus side, I think Johnson was a good signing and has impressed me every time i've seen him play. Worth the money imo.

Fair enough.

Yes Johnson looked pretty good again tonight, I think he will be an excellent signing for you guys.

You need to wait up to reality, we lost to Villa, at home with nearly full strength squad. Villa who lost to Wigan at home, who got thumped 5-0 by Utd. What excuses are there if the aspiration is to win the title?

So does that mean if we beat Burnley in 2 weeks we should be handed the league??

The Rafa haters are out in force probably delighted we lost :rolleyes:

I dont hate Rafa , and i aint happy we lost tonight rarnes , but i do questions his team selection sometimes and the type of players he buys and sticks with when they do not perform , sometimes it just dont work , anyone rememeber Fernando morientes , how long did he get ? jez beggers belief :D

JPA wrote: »
    They created more but you're neglecting that they only scored one.
    You'd have to be Rafas wife to suggest Villa didn't deserve the victory.

Dunno about that, i have no affiliation to either club whatsoever (TBH if both could loose i'd be happy :-P). My congratulations do go to villa for a dogged, determined performance and a fine result. But you'll have to admit that Liverpool had the lions share of possession/territorial possession and had more than enough chances at least contest the game. IMO the rub of the green edged it for villa (IMO of course)

• Advertisement
Advertisement