Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Aston Villa Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

baldbear wrote: »
    Does anyone know of pubs around Dublin with ESPN to watch the match? Would the Woolshed by any chance?
    Cheers!!

I would imagine most pubs will have the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Not worried. He didn't have Kuyt & Johnson to contend with

and unless they switch flanks he wont in this match either as he plays RW for Villa not LW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I would imagine most pubs will have the game.

I'm wondering about that. I'd say there's a fair few of them that won't fork out the extra expense. Though of course a lot depends on how much ESPN charge as their business rate.

As for the game, I certainly wouldnt rule out 0-0, like what happened this time last year. Villa were at home then, but they played it like an away game.

I really hope Ayala and Babel don't start. I'd only make the one change from Stoke - Ayala out and either Skrtel or Heracles in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

As much as I'd love Villa to get a draw, or win I can only see a few goals win for Liverpool.

If Liverpool do hammer them, it better be Torres who does the damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Murrays in O'connell street are showing it and loads of Villa fans will be in Attendance..Im stuck at home so will need to get an online source....I really cant see Villa winning this one heres hoping im wrong....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm wondering about that. I'd say there's a fair few of them that won't fork out the extra expense. Though of course a lot depends on how much ESPN charge as their business rate.

As for the game, I certainly wouldnt rule out 0-0, like what happened this time last year. Villa were at home then, but they played it like an away game.

I really hope Ayala and Babel don't start. I'd only make the one change from Stoke - Ayala out and either Skrtel or Heracles in.

If I recall correctly Gerrard didn't play that game and Torres went off with an injury in the first half.

Villa are FÚCKED tonight. Our defense is a shambles, the formation we play leaves a gorge in the middle of the field when the opposition have the ball, we ourselves have absolutely zero threat up the middle and Young is on a rotten run of form carried on from last year. The only decent threat I see us producing, therefore, is from Milner and his delivery is hit and miss to be very, VERY kind to the lad.

So with Carew out, Heskey and Agbonlahor likely to start there will be no goals from our strikers - none.

If MON gets out tonight with a 0-0 he should retire on a high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Is Carew gonna start?

_44047920_villa_liv2_0506.gif

Villa fans for understandable reasons are not at all positive about this game but it is not a foregone conclusion that Villa will lose (or be hammered) and in a strange way im kinda happy they have been completley written off prior to this game.

If Davies (not that he has been on form) & Carew start this game and Villa play 451 I would be a lot more optimistic. This type of game could actually really suit the way Villa are set up to play under MON in the past year by which i mean that they can play a fast counter attacking game. Assuming L.Young is still off on compassionate leave id like to see the following start.

.......................Friedel *1

Beye........Cuellar........Davies......Shorey

.........................NRC
    ............Petrov...........delph
    Milner.....................................Young
    ......................Carew *2

*1 honestly wouldent mind Guzan playing but would edge towards Friedel still as will MON
    *2 If Carew cant play id like Gabby here as despite not being impressed with him for a good while he did well in this role before Heskey was bought last season and we went back to 442.

Villa need to play a high tempo game where we pack the midfield and give Liverpool as little space as possible and playing NRC is essential for this. In all Villa's recent games he has looked a much improved player when actually played in his correct position and he could actually free up Petrov and Delph/Sidwell to actually have some for of creativity in the cntre of the park meaning Villa would not be 100% reliant on Milner & Young who will of course still be our main potential for attacks. Gabby could then be brought on (if he doesent start) as a late impact sub, and scare the crap out of a tiring (unfit) Greek or Ayala with his pace.

so it aint all negative for Villa although i still wouldent be shocked with a defeat tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Don't expect Villa to get anything from this game.We are playing so badly at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

and unless they switch flanks he wont in this match either as he plays RW for Villa not LW

In fairness, I was quoting a post re: the England game, where he DID play on the left ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I hope babel gets a half hour run out and does fantastically well. Goal and an assist just to give him confidence (nothing to do with FF :))

I hope babel gets a half hour run out and does fantastically well. Goal and an assist just to give him confidence (nothing to do with FF :))

Either that, or he doesn't even make the bench and Liverpool batter them.

Though in fairness, I would like to see him return to form. Its just that recent history (i.e all last season, this pre-season, this season thus far) would not be inspiring much confidence in his ability / attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Either that, or he doesn't even make the bench and Liverpool batter them.

Though in fairness, I would like to see him return to form. Its just that recent history (i.e all last season, this pre-season, this season thus far) would not be inspiring much confidence in his ability / attitude.

Ahm he did very well in preseason, and has only played 60 mins this season.

Ahm he did very well in preseason, and has only played 60 mins this season.

Well you must be looking at a different player.

I saw him do well for about 20mins in pre-season, and he'd be playing more than 60 minutes so far if he was any use.

Must you constantly defend sub-standard players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

He played very well against Lyn, and scored a good goal in one of the early matches. Apart from that it was business as usual from Babel - the most frustrating player i've ever seen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

He played very well against Lyn, and scored a good goal in one of the early matches. Apart from that it was business as usual from Babel - the most frustrating player i've ever seen

This is it...its so annoying, sometimes I just wanna shake some sense into him. There is a serious air of Baros about him.

Sometimes I just think he is not suited to Liverpool and Rafa.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

This on tv anywhere? Going to a friends for a few drinks tonight and wouldn't mind watching.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This on tv anywhere? Going to a friends for a few drinks tonight and wouldn't mind watching.

its on ESPN

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

its on ESPN
    Ah right, pity, doubt he has ESPN.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Villa to win tonight, underdogs tag is what suits us best. Whatever else we can say about MON, we know that him and the team are under no pressure to win tonight. keep it tight til half time, let the crowd get frustrated and get a jammy goal and sit on it. Spurs made this lot look ordinary and got a result against them and if they can do it so can Villa.

UTV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Villa to win tonight, underdogs tag is what suits us best. Whatever else we can say about MON, we know that him and the team are under no pressure to win tonight. keep it tight til half time, let the crowd get frustrated and get a jammy goal and sit on it. Spurs made this lot look ordinary and got a result against them and if they can do it so can Villa.

UTV

all credit to Spurs but not so sure how much of it was Spurs making us look ordinary and how much was us being terribly off the pace in that game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

i got gerrard to score and liverpool to win HT/FT:D....this should be a comfortable win for us...what we need is to have consistency at home and not have disgraceful 0-0 draws like last year and i think we will be the team to beat this season:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Villa -1 @35/1 for me. One can dream as the defence didn't look to solid against Spurs and I hope somehow Gabby and Young can exploit the lack of pace at CB.

all credit to Spurs but not so sure how much of it was Spurs making us look ordinary and how much was us being terribly off the pace in that game...

Which is my point exactly, Rafa Benitezs Liverpool has its good days and bad days. Tonight Stevie G & Torres turn up and play Villa will probably lose, but im counting Pool will have one of their off days and Villa will exploit the opportunity. Done it to Arsenal, Chelsea and Almost at Man Utd over past few seasons so i live in hope.

Equally with comical Curtis & Cuellar anchoring the backline and Nicky Shorey almost a cert to start there could be a hammering on the cards but i choose to accentuate the positives in this situation. Over to you MON...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Which is my point exactly, Rafa Benitezs Liverpool has its good days and bad days. Tonight Stevie G & Torres turn up and play Villa will probably lose, but im counting Pool will have one of their off days and Villa will exploit the opportunity. Done it to Arsenal, Chelsea and Almost at Man Utd over past few seasons so i live in hope.

Equally with comical Curtis & Cuellar anchoring the backline and Nicky Shorey almost a cert to start there could be a hammering on the cards but i choose to accentuate the positives in this situation. Over to you MON...

could be a good game either way I'm going for 9-7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

mayordenis wrote: »
    could be a good game either way I'm going for 9-7
    We always do well against Villa. Should be three points for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

I'll take a win tonight any kind of win. Performances don't matter this early in the season, points do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

UTV

no, ESPN ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Well you must be looking at a different player.

I saw him do well for about 20mins in pre-season, and he'd be playing more than 60 minutes so far if he was any use.

Must you constantly defend sub-standard players?

Damn, and here I was thinking it was Babel who tore FC Lyn apart in pre-season, setting up Voronin for the first, and creating about a half dozen chances.

So this 20 minutes.
    Was that when he scored against Thailand, or the whole first half against Lyn when he was probably our most effective player.

By the way, remind me to sell you a watch if we ever meet.

Babel isn't our first choice winger.
    Kuyt and Benni are, and rightly so.
    That is why Babel hasn't played more than 60 minutes.
    And against Tottenham, we played our worst (bar maybe Boro away last season) in a year or so.
    Everyone except Pepe, GlenJo, and Lucas had bad games.

Not "not good" games.
    But properly bad games.

If I was to judge players on that performance, out whole team is sh1te!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Damn, and here I was thinking it was Babel who tore FC Lyn apart in pre-season, setting up Voronin for the first, and creating about a half dozen chances.

So this 20 minutes.
    Was that when he scored against Thailand, or the whole first half against Lyn when he was probably our most effective player.

By the way, remind me to sell you a watch if we ever meet.

Babel isn't our first choice winger.
    Kuyt and Benni are, and rightly so.
    That is why Babel hasn't played more than 60 minutes.
    And against Tottenham, we played our worst (bar maybe Boro away last season) in a year or so.
    Everyone except Pepe, GlenJo, and Lucas had bad games.

Not "not good" games.
    But properly bad games.

If I was to judge players on that performance, out whole team is sh1te!:rolleyes:

preseason means fcuk all
    its in the competitive games people want him to perform,which he consistantly hasnt.
    players played badly yes v spurs,just we know they can do better than that.but can babel?thats the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Skrtl starts, Carew not in the squad I think, and Heskey on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Reina, Insua, Johnson, Skrtel, Carragher, Lucas, Mascherano, Kuyt, Benayoun, Gerrard, Torres.

Subs: Cavalieri, Voronin, Riera, Ayala, Dossena, Kelly, Babel.

Pretty much as expected for Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reina,
    Johnson-Carra-Skrtel-Insua
    ----Lucas-Mascherano,
    Kuyt----Gerrard---Benayoun
    Torres.

Subs: Cavalieri, Voronin, Riera, Ayala, Dossena, Kelly, Babel.

Should be enough. Anyone got the Villa side?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    no, ESPN ;)

Picard_Facepalm_by_LuckyHRE.gif

451 for Villa

Beye/CC/CD/Shorey

Milner/Petrov/Sidwell/NRC/Young

Agbonlahor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

451 for Villa

Beye/CC/CD/Shorey

Agbonlahor
    At least its 5 in midfield and Gabby is up top.

Im worried about Davies playing with a busted shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

451 for Villa

Beye/CC/CD/Shorey

Agbonlahor

Exactly what I would have gone with, can see Villa with the chance of a draw now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Aston Villa attack looks decent. All setup for speed and counterattacking. Carra / Skrtel will have to be sure to not stray to far forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Lets hope for some Villa counter attacks leaving young or Gabby one on one with Carragher. That would be funny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    That Greek fella to start?
    If Krgywhatshisface starts

Sotirios Kyrgiakos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Where is the Greek?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Any links to a good sopcast channel to stream the match would be very much appreciated!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

any links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Any links to a good sopcast channel to stream the match would be very much appreciated!!!!
    evil_seed wrote: »
    any links?

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=46174&part=sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Holsten wrote: »
    Where is the Greek?!

I would have been amazed to see him in the squad tonight. we signed him officially today so the chances are he's had possibly one session with the squad. There is no way in the world rafa would have him in the without a couple of training sessions to get used of the system we use.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Holsten wrote: »
    Where is the Greek?!

International clearance didn't come through. I think Skrtl would have started anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Nothing seems to be working for me off myp2p.eu or atdhe.net - any other links working...desperate to see the game!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I fully expect Villa to lose but if we win, I won't be held responsible for my actions in here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/69850

yes channel working fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Sunderland vs Norwich is on this link right now, but according to the chat on the side it'll switch over at 8.

http://www.justin.tv/gotera10

• Advertisement
Advertisement