Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOTHERS, I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE AND DADS

Options
  • 24-08-2009 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

hi everyone. we have an 8 month old daughter. since she was born she has slept a full night. we moved house a week ago and she slept through the first two nights in her OWN room. before we moved she slept beside our bed in her cot. anyway, since the first two nights she keeps waking up about three or four in the morning. has anyone any ideas on how to get her to sleep through the full night again?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Bah ha ha ha. Id like to read this thread. My son is 2 and still doesnt sleep through the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

Bah ha ha ha. Id like to read this thread. My son is 2 and still doesnt sleep through the night.
    we havent experienced that yet but im sure we will . if not with this one then another one, hopefully.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Op I feel your pain--we had the same with our 2 youngest when they went into their own rooms for the first time.

We`ve tried this with the our 2 and they sleep from 7.30-8am most nights.

Anyway what we did when they woke up at 3,4,5 was that we went into their room and settled them down by pulling the blankets back up over them,snuggling them back down etc WITHOUT picking them up or talking too much to them.
    Thats the key IMO--dont pick them up but keep settling them by comforting them while theyre in their cot.

Start out by doing this say every 10 minutes and try and extend the time by 5 minute intervals each time they wake up--ie leave them for 10 minutes the first time they wake up then try 15 and so on.

It might be hard for a couple of nights until they realise that theyre not going to be picked up but its well worth it in the end to get them to sleep all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I can vouch for controlled crying as well.

Let them know you're there but you're not going to take them up or stay with them. As said: gradually increase the periods of time between going into them.

Our lad has always slept through from six weeks or so, but on a few occasions (usually with teeth) we took him downstairs when he cried and we had to get him out of the habit for a few days after.

Hearing the crying is the worst, but you have to persevere.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

+1
    my 2 year old likes to kick his daddy out of the bed everynight.
    i dont think ive had a full nights sleep since hes been born:rolleyes:
    its all part of the fun:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 itz me

i've 5yr old girl who never slept through the night till she was 4 and a half years....she woke 4 to 5 times a night and just never seemed to settle in her sleep....count your blessings your child is only 8 months and that you know ur child is able to go full nights and hopefully will get back into its routine soon

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

We had a very similar situation. Put a comfortable chair in the room and if the child knows your there they will settle. They'll probably give you hell to start off with but be firm. All of our's had their perfect sleep patterns broken at some stage but this approach always worked within a week.

Don't bring them into your bed though, you'll never get them out. Why would you want to sleep on your own when you have a lovely warm parent to kick lumps out of?:)

oh, like the other posters said, no talking; that's for the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Try white noise - i.e. a radio tuned to nothing (static).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

leesmom wrote: »
    +1
    my 2 year old likes to kick his daddy out of the bed everynight.
    i dont think ive had a full nights sleep since hes been born:rolleyes:
    its all part of the fun:D

My 2 year old daughter comes running in between 2 and 3 every night and runs to my side of the bed and smiles staring at me until I wake and then Daddy is off to the "princess" room!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ciaranpm

I feel your pain,

We put an item of my clothing or my wifes t shirt that we had been wearing into the cot when they moved to their own room,it settled him well

Give it a go it mite work

CMD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

killwill wrote: »
    My 2 year old daughter comes running in between 2 and 3 every night and runs to my side of the bed and smiles staring at me until I wake and then Daddy is off to the "princess" room!!!
    half of him being in mommy and daddys bed every night is my fault!!:rolleyes:
    i feel sorry for him being in his cot on his own in his big room and how if i was 2 id want to be in a big warm bed too:D
    although the lack of sleep is really wearing me out at this stage and want to cry when i hear him laughing beside me in the bed at 6.30 in the morning ready to get up:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Dylan69

This is what im going through at the moment! My two young boys (3 and 2) are sleeping most nights through the nights. But there are occasion when one wakes up and walks to the side of my bed and pokes me in the face!!! :mad: I pick up the child and bring him back to bed and i hang around for 10mins before he goes to sleep and i head back to bed. All he want is comfort , knowing that daddy there to make himsafe!!!

Same routine every time one of the kids come into our room at 2-3am!!!

Its slowly becoming less and less seeing the kids come into the room at 2-3am so we must be doing something right!!!!:mad:

Advertisement