Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guessing the gender

Options
  • 24-08-2009 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

In a fun way I wanna guess the gender of the baby, I don't want to find out for sure at my next scan cos half of me wants it to be a surprise and the other half really wants to know!

I know there are tonnes of old wives tales that are funny and some days I'm convinced its a girl then I think its a boy. :rolleyes:

I feel all the movement on my right, I never feel anything on the left. What do you think this means :)

If anyone has any fun tales share them :P

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There are lots of old wives tales to do with gender.

Gold wedding ring on a chain over bump and seeing which way it's moving
    Baby's HB below or above 150
    salt or sugar cravings
    is the bump high or low

I don't subscribe to them, it's always 50/50 anyway. I know a girl who took the old wives' tales as fact, even though she didn't want to know at the scan. She was convinced of a boy and it came out a girl. She actually took it quite badly and refused to name her for over a week. This I couldn't understand, if she really wanted to know why didn't she ask at
    the scan?? Anyway I think she's over it now, and that said, scans aren't 100% either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

http://www.babygendertool.com/baby-gender-test.aspx

Heres a gender prediction tool for the laugh. It was right on one of mine....wrong on the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

My trick is 100% right every time. I have always got it right with every pregnant friend and it is really simple. The only time i ever couldn't work it out was with myself but looking back it was glaringly obvious I was carrying a girl if I apply only these criteria. (she just had a very masculine energy and a fortune teller had said she was definitely a boy :rolleyes:). If you put on love-handles on your sides and back it's a boy. If you are all bump up front and nothing else it's a girl. If your thighs are getting huge - that'll be the mars-bars for breakfast lunch and dinner! xxx:D

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i craved salty food when i was first pregnant, used to eat crisps for breakfast lunch and dinner
    salty foods = a boy
    i had a boy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

janbaby wrote: »
    I feel all the movement on my right, I never feel anything on the left. What do you think this means :)

I would be willing to bet that your baby is head down with its back lying along your left hand side. That's why you're feeling all the movement down the right- that's where the hands and feet are. I'm afraid that's all there is to it :)

Anyways, some people say that they've generally speaking had a lot more nausea and morning sickness when they're pregnant with girls because of the increased amount of female hormones in the system, but I'd take anything like that with a pinch of salt. For every person who'll tell you one thing, there'll be at least one other who will completely contradict that!

Some women say they just "know". I never believed that until I was pregnant myself, and I just knew it was a girl. Now, I did have a girl but there's every chance that there are plenty of women who "just know" and are totally wrong about it.

It is fun to guess though! How long have you to go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

I've ages to go :eek: Im only 22 weeks!

Everyone in work is having great fun guessing, asking about sweet or salty cravings, hair growth on my leg (aparently if its a girl hair growth slows down, another funny one), hight and width of my bump. Its funny cos some weeks I'm convinced its a girl then it starts kicking and punching and Im thinking it has to be a boy! :D

I've had the ring test done and all sorts of old wives tales. I think its great amusement for other people, it helps get them involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Janbaby

I have ages to go too. I am only 20 weeks!

I had my scan last week and it took all of my strength to told back from asking the sex of the baby.

I am convinced it's a girel. i actually really have no preference as it's my first and I would be delighted either way. It is strange because I have one boys name I like and the rest are girls. I can actually see in my mind a little girel.

I wonder will I be right.

I just did the gender link above and its a girl and I did two other online for the laught and also a girl.

If it comes out a boy he might have to be called emily as I cannot think of any boys names!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LOADED DIAPER

Hi guys baby no 4 due in November ,
    On team green ,we have 3 girls already hoping for a boy .
    Dont know what to do to find out or wait .
    Anyone that was in similar situation .

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

I'm carrying all at the front in a nice prominent bump with no extra weight anywhere else. In fact I lost some weight from throwing up so much. Lots of nausea & vomiting and acid reflux at 18 wks. But I'm having a boy so most of those old wives takes are definitely off :D

Also the one food I want and can handle the most is fruit... so my cravings are for sweet fresh fruit, and raw veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Hi guys baby no 4 due in November ,
    On team green ,we have 3 girls already hoping for a boy .
    Dont know what to do to find out or wait .
    Anyone that was in similar situation .

I think if you are hoping for a particular gender, you should find out! It will help with any disappointment you may feel to prevent projecting it onto the little baby when they arrive. I am 31weeks with my first and we found out the gender because we had a preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

I think if you are hoping for a particular gender, you should find out! It will help with any disappointment you may feel to prevent projecting it onto the little baby when they arrive. I am 31weeks with my first and we found out the gender because we had a preference.

Completely agree with this, on my first i didn't find out, i had hoped for a boy and my daughter was born, i wouldn't change her for the world but it took me awhile to get my head around it when she was born. I will definitely be finding out this time because i couldn't go through that again.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I found out last time because I was dying to know! Didn't have a preference of gender, but finding out definitely made it feel more real and I felt a bit more of a bond with the baby - they were less of a mystery if you get me.

Going to find out this time because seeing as we had a boy last time all the sheets and blankets we have are blue, so if it's a girl we'd need to get a few pink bits!

I think if you're hoping for a boy, I'd definitely find out. Especially if any of the other kids are hoping it's a boy too, that way if any of them are disappointed it'll give them a few months to get used to it before the baby arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

We found out what we are going to have as well just because :) The nurse said at the time that 9 times out of 10 it is what you predict yourself.. From day one we thought it was a girl as it is the complete opposite of what I am, and I was going mad for all things sweet and I never liked sweet things... Got from a few friends that girls seem to move around more also..

There is the pee test I came across but just not sure would I do it or not...A bit uhhh

Advertisement