Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's all come to an end...

• 24-08-2009 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

...you know who has switched over to Tetra (well, the majority have) VHF is still active in parts!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

The only thing is that the Tetra system is still being developed in the 26 counties. I seriously doubt that the true cost of the system has been evaluated when it is up and running, e.g. maintenance costs, cost of using the system. In today’s current economic climate I doubt the government will have the cash to keep it running at a rumoured cost of 100 million a year. They could still return to VHF
    Thats my two cents

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ahhhh I'll miss them.... "Foxtrot Delta to base, we're in pursuit of two gougers in a stolen veh-icle". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

"refreshments there control"
    "roger"
    Refreshments there for us too there control"
    "roger"
    "Just going for refreshments there control"
    "...roger"

Going to miss all that excitement...

:D

and there is talk of the Ambulance going to Tetra next month in the midlands with the rest of the country following around January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

BravoMike wrote: »
    maintenance costs, cost of using the system. In today’s current economic climate I doubt the government will have the cash to keep it running at a rumoured cost of 100 million a year.

Why so much ???

BTW one big problem they have with their current system is getting spare parts for base station radio's. (most of them date from the early seventies and were manufactured by companies like Pye)

• Advertisement

Here is a link to a site that explains how Tetra works if you don't already know : Click

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

BravoMike wrote: »
    and there is talk of the Ambulance going to Tetra next month in the midlands with the rest of the country following around January

How they've been on 84MHz this long is beyond me (then again alot of taxi firms use low band). The "button" system seems to be a big FAIL.

You would have thought 21st century...state of the art! Some courier companies out there have better communications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

haha,well that closes a chapter in the land of code zulu and the like..
    Tetra,I hope it costs them a fortune!
    Im "gone for the grub" now.. i will miss "Mick" and his humour..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Some of the frequencies had so many "listeners" that they should really have been included in the JNLR survey :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Why so much ???

I think its oursourced to some shower from abroad who sold the government this 'package' as a completely hosted and managed service like in England

if they would just hire a few decent engineers, give them the budget to buy the stuff and employ some people to keep the network going it wouldn't cost that much

+ Reverse engineering the TETRA air interface should be fun, I hear they are using yesteryear's encryption anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Dankoozy wrote: »
    + Reverse engineering the TETRA air interface should be fun, I hear they are using yesteryear's encryption anyway

Probably not a good idea to advertise that here ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Probably not a good idea to advertise that here ;).

hey i only want to know what sort of refreshments they are getting

prolly a Shnackbawx

It all went down hill when the "quakquak quak" and the squeaky door disappeared :-)

Shnackbawx... LOLLL

Reverse engineering would be fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭stylers

Dankoozy wrote: »
    if they would just hire a few decent engineers, give them the budget to buy the stuff and employ some people to keep the network going it wouldn't cost that much

exactly, as I'd imagine the old analogue system wasn't outsourced originally, and why could they not maybe set it up and let it be maintained by engineers here. Or do the government think such people and skills don't exist here any more ? I'm sure there's probably a licensing issue with TETRA as well which makes things worse.
    the money that its rumoured to be costing its just unbelievable..

an inside source of mine informed me that they are renting handsets & the plan is to issue each member with a handset. that's alot of handsets :eek:

Advertisement