Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jogging with dog?

Options
  • 24-08-2009 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

First time poster. We have a beautiful wee jack russell terrier who is very active & adores getting out for walks. When she goes with my OH she gets a dander and gets loads of snifing, exploring etc and when she goes with me she gets a swift power walk. She seems to love both!

Ive taken up jogging in last couple of mths- I will do between 5 and 10k three times a week. Dog comes too. Someone has told me recently that dogs shouldn't be taken jogging- they are built for walking or sprinting thats it. She keeps up (leads some of the way!!), goes mad when I get the runners on & whines after me if I don't take her.

Any advice/expertise greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

I never heard that jogging is not good for a dog.

Just make sure you bring some water for ye both for mid ways through.

If you roller skate and bring your dogg or cycle and bring it your dog is still only jogging so it's fine.

Also your dog will be quick enough to let you know if it doesn't want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If she's anything like most dogs she won't be 'jogging' along steadily anyway, but sprinting away ahead of you, running back, darting into the undergrowth and then catching up with you again. Much like when going for a normal walkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

Jogging is fine as long as the dog is old enough; dogs under a year old shouldn't be exercised too much or it can cause joint problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We jog with our dog all the time, and we are just keeping up with her normal pace! She usually zips around sniffing and snoking around. So she's less time to stalk the ducks and more time in a straight line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭emma82

Thanks guys.:) Heard it from one of these 'dogsie expert types' and panicked a bit!! She'd be raging if I left her behind. She's 2.5 yrs old & was starting to get a bit heavy for her breed so I think its doing her the world of good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Thats weird, why would it not be right for your dog to go running??

I know they are different breeds but i read an article in national geographic a while back about dogs used for sledding.

Studies showed the more the dogs ran, the more their bodies adjusted to the exertion and adapted to it.

They found the longer the dog ran the better its body became at handling the breathing/circulation and instead of becoming out of breath or tired, it performed better and better the longer it went.

It said some of the dogs used for the sledding were capable of running for 12-14 hours no bother (once the temp was below a certain point).

Anywho enough of my rambling

Advertisement