Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best cam phone on the market?

• 24-08-2009 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I'm due a contract renewal / upgrade and am considering a new phone, currently using the N95 which served me well. However I wouldn't mind something different for a change. Pref with good camera, zoom, picture quality and ease of use

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I got a SE C905 last week from 02.

8.1 MP camera, GPS & WiFi. Fantastic phone imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

although not a fantastic phone and nothing amazingly new i found the samsung tocco to have a great camera . has 5 mega pixles . very high for a phone i think and has some great features that uld only get on some high end cameras like smile recnogition , multishot, good lighting modes has a good flash and the zoom function ant to bad at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Tocco Ultra has a great 8MP camera but the phone itself takes a bit of getting used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This post has been deleted.

Vodafone but would be open to offers after it expires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I'm due a contract renewal / upgrade and am considering a new phone, currently using the N95 which served me well. However I wouldn't mind something different for a change. Pref with good camera, zoom, picture quality and ease of use

Any suggestions?

Currently the Sony Ericsson C905, Nokia N86, Samsung i8510 INNOV8 and Samsung Pixon12 are among the best camerphones on the market; in that order.

Unfortunately only one of the handsets noted above, according to the mobile operators' websites, is currently available and only on one network and that is the Sony Ericsson C905 on Vodafone. The prices are as follows:

Vodafone

Prices: From €229.99 to €289.99

Just to note, while the Sony Ericsson W995i has an 8 MP camera and is also available from several of the operators, its camera quality is nowhere near the handsets mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Sony Satio looks like it should be a cracker of a phone, it's due out here in the next few weeks, 12mp camera and it's a sony running symbian so it should be pretty slick to use...might even get one myself even if it's only to tease iphone users..:)

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/hands-on-sony-ericsson-satio-idou-review-603377

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Don't get fooled by the megapixel race. A 12mp camera on a mobile phone is generally no better than a 5mp one, unless you like to blow up your pics to poster size. All you will get with the bigger megapixels are enormous file sizes, making things like uploading your photos to facebook/flickr slow and frustrating. The denser camera sensors would only show real image improvement where you have access to bigger lenses.

A 5-8mp camera phone is pretty much the sweet spot for such small lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Elessar wrote: »
    Don't get fooled by the megapixel race. A 12mp camera on a mobile phone is generally no better than a 5mp one, unless you like to blow up your pics to poster size. All you will get with the bigger megapixels are enormous file sizes, making things like uploading your photos to facebook/flickr slow and frustrating. The denser camera sensors would only show real image improvement where you have access to bigger lenses.

A 5-8mp camera phone is pretty much the sweet spot for such small lenses.

The thing is, the major advancements in the camera sensors used in mobile phones seems to be occurring with the 8 - 12 MP camera sensors, such as the sensor found in the Samsung Pixon12. Going by the reviews, resizing a 12 MP image from the Pixon12 to 5 MP can show greater detail and accuracy than a standard 5 MP camera. Again, 12 MPs in a mobile phone may seem like overkill, but reducing the picture size to even half that should result in increased clarity in comparison to other lower resolution camera phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

The Sony Satio looks like it should be a cracker of a phone, it's due out here in the next few weeks,...

Will it actually be available on any networks here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

JustinOval wrote: »
    Tocco Ultra has a great 8MP camera but the phone itself takes a bit of getting used to.

Best Samsung camera phone I had was the i8510. It has an auto-focus 8MP Camera also. I have a mate selling a mint one boxed for 350 if your interested :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

xanthor wrote: »
    Will it actually be available on any networks here?

I don't see why not, it's due out this month..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

I don't see why not, it's due out this month..

Possibly because networks may not deem it the most cost effective product to offer... However after years of Vodafone's p!ss poor selection, i've become just a mite cynical about these things.

Advertisement