Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age limit for Rifle

Options
  • 24-08-2009 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Is the age limit for a rifle 16 or is that for a shotgun?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

carl01 wrote: »
    Is the age limit for a rifle 16 or is that for a shotgun?
    All firearms are 16 for a licence and 14 for a training licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Supers tend not to hand out licences to people of 16, and yes I know what the law says.

You would need your parent/guaridan to back you in any application too until you are 18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

+1

As well as having the permission of your parents to store the rifle in their house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Supers tend not to hand out licences to people of 16, and yes I know what the law says.

You would need your parent/guaridan to back you in any application too until you are 18
    It can and has been done, I personally know of a young fella who applied for a .22 rifle licence the day after his 16th birthday, and had the licence six weeks later.
    As you say though, this was with the full support of his parents; his father already owned firearms and had the required security in place in their family home, his father accompanied him on his first visit to the Garda Station, and he had a letter of consent signed by both parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 carl01

thnx lads i,ll give it a try my father already hase a firearm and they dont mind me getting one so i dont see y the garda wont give one to me

• Advertisement

Rovi wrote: »
    It can and has been done, I personally know of a young fella who applied for a .22 rifle licence the day after his 16th birthday, and had the licence six weeks later.
    As you say though, this was with the full support of his parents; his father already owned firearms and had the required security in place in their family home, his father accompanied him on his first visit to the Garda Station, and he had a letter of consent signed by both parents.

Some Supers are still digging in their heels :rolleyes:

However, with the FPU and NARGC intervention etc they are having to administer, instead of make up the law :D

carl01 wrote: »
    thnx lads i,ll give it a try my father already hase a firearm and they dont mind me getting one so i dont see y the garda wont give one to me

Best of luck ;)

Advertisement