Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression advice - Lexapro (escitalopram)

Options
  • 24-08-2009 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi - due to my current circumstances which I don't really want to go into, I felt the need to reach out for help, both through counselling and using anti-depressants. I was prescribed Lexapro (escitalopram), which I started using last night. I know it will take a while for the effect to kick in, but I was reading the leaflet that came with it and there are a large amount of possible side effects listed. I was wondering if anyone has had experience using this and would share their thoughts with me? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As far as I know, Lexapro is Prozac, which has been rebranded.

I was on Lexapro for a few months before switching back to Effexor, which I've taken for several years. I honestly didn't find any noticable side-effects with the Lexapro. If you are taking an anti-depressant for the first time, you might find that in the first few weeks you feel a bit antsy and on-edge, but this does wane over time.

The biggest side-effect I experience with these SSRIs is when I forget to take one - I get little "shocks" to my head, which are difficult to describe but very, very common.

Glad you took control of the problem and hope you feel better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Hi.

You really need to speak to your GP about the possible side effects.Any medication effects different people differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I took Lexapro 2 years ago for a few months and the side effects listed on the leaflet were quite accurate (i.e. I experienced some of the common and 1 of the uncommon but none of the rare)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Talk to your GP, ffs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

moved to LTI. OP, I understand the need to talk to other people who've been taking the same medication, but to re-iterate:

you should never attempt to self-medicate. Do not change or cease your medication without talking to your doctor first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

As far as I know, Lexapro is Prozac, which has been rebranded.QUOTE]

lexapro is not the same as prozac.

lexapro is the brand name for escitalopram, whereas prozac is the name for fluoxetine.

they are both SSRIs but they are not the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AJx

thanks for the info - I just want to stress that I'm not looking for medical advice on this, I got that info from my GP who was very helpful.

This is the first time I've been on anti-d's and I just wanted to know what some of your experiences were - I do know everyone is different. So if you have some feedback I'd appreciate the info on your experience. Thanks again.

I was on Lexapro for a few months and I didn't like it. The real thing I didn't like was that it made me lethargic in the mornings and it also affected my libido.

I had my GP change me to Lustral and I have had a better experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

AJx wrote: »
    thanks for the info - I just want to stress that I'm not looking for medical advice on this, I got that info from my GP who was very helpful.

This is the first time I've been on anti-d's and I just wanted to know what some of your experiences were - I do know everyone is different. So if you have some feedback I'd appreciate the info on your experience. Thanks again.

If you acknowledge that everyone is different, then what use will peoples experiences be to you? You are destined to focus too much on the negative experiences and not the good, whether you are currently depressed or not.

Anyway, I was on them for about 9 months last year, there were no problems for me, except is caused some Psoriasis to break out on my forehead.

Well done OP on acknowledging the problem and doing something to help yourself, that can often be the toughest part.

I took Lexapro 10mg for 6 months a couple of years ago and found it to be OK. I read a lot about the side effects at the time and was dreading it, but in the main I found the side effects to be minimal.

They included:
    1) Dilated pupils
    2) Weight loss (about 2 stone in 6 weeks, which was a bit scary)
    3) Loss of appetite for the first couple of days, had to force myself to eat initially but that went away
    4) A weird and hard to describe thing at night time where I'd wake up but then realise that I had been awake for ages...like being in a trance and then snapping out of it
    5) Also I felt really 'happy' initially, couldn't stop smiling and found that annoying as I didn't feel like that but I think I mellowed out after a while

I was dreading coming off it after what I read on the net but actually that part was fine too, they usually cut it down bit by bit to wean you off. Like other posters have said everyone is different and responds in different ways to the medication, there are 4 different strengths available also which can mean different responses and experiences. Best of luck anyway and I hope everything works out for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

At the end of May my doctor put me on Lexapro 10mg. I found only a couple of side effects, but were still quite bad considering I couldn't see any positive change with it. I found that if I took lexapro without food I would get a huge urge to vomit. I wouldn't actually vomit, but it's still not nice. Of course the solution was to just eat then take lexapro. problem solved.

Other side effect was extremely bad memory. Normally I have quite a good memory, which I'm used to, so having a really bad memory like that was annoying in so many ways. I hated it. I felt really stupid cos I just couldn't remember anything. And i also found that at night (when i'm getting tired) I could have a conversation, or do something, or watch something, then the next day not even recalling it happening. Again quite frustrating.

Was on it for two months. Changed over to Prozac now. On it for one and a half months. (It's not the same as Lexapro). Find Prozac to be kinda worse. Had a needing to vomit urge one morning with it, no explanation,which again is horrible. If anything I think it makes me worse. Don't know if you're a guy or girl but it also completely messed up my period. Never had an irregular period ever, I'm on the Pill, so this was really odd for me. When I'm in an ok mood, I find the moods a little better, but when I'm down I find these moods worse.

So that's just my input...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

I was on citrol for 6 months last year and didnt experience any side effects. I stopped it cold turkey because it wasnt working and also had no side effect. Citrol also has a long list of side effects and I did ask my doctor about them. He told me that the biggest side effect was the tablet might not work (true in my case).
    What im saying is that every drug has side effects and until you take them you wont know. Unfortunally you will just have to take the chance but if you are postive about the treatment plan then i believe the meds will work and things will get better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭SmokeyJo84

I have been on Lexapro 10mg for the past few months now. I was initially very nervous about starting on anti-d's after reading about everyone's experiences but I have to say the Lexapro has worked well for me so far. Initially I felt foggy, lacked concentration, lost a bit of weight and had no appetite but after a month of taking it, all these symptoms have disappeared.

I feel good most days, very positive and confident that I can work my problems out. I do feel down some days, but not as tearful and depressed as I was feeling. Some people say they feel no emotions at all/ dead inside but not so for me.

Everyone's experiences on anti-d's are completely different so you just need to see how you are on them. Don't be afraid to go back to the doc if you arent feeling right taking them. You may need a different dose, different type of anti-d etc.

There will always be horror stories on the internet alongside the positive stories. Just do what you feel is right for you! and good luck, hope you feel better soon and that things work out for you!

SmokeyJo84 wrote: »
    There will always be horror stories on the internet alongside the positive stories.

absolutely.

in fact, there will always be more negative stories tahn positive ones because people who are pleased with an outcome are less likely to go on a forum praising it, whereas those with negative experiences will be more likely to do so, as they'll see it as some ventilation for themselves as well as possibly warning others.

so take what you read about others experiences witha pinch of salt. it may not be truly reflective of reality at all.

No1 your on them now so just go with it (your choice)
    you'd be surprised how psychosymatic side effects can appear.
    bottom line dont try to know everything in advance, the brain is a very powerfull
    weapon..or enemy ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭JackReacher1980

Have to agree, everyone is very different. My problem was that I had side effects, and my doc refused to change my meds, saying "ah sure, they all have side effects". Needless to say, I changed my doctor! I've been on cipramil, lexapro, and effexor. Strangely, even though cirpamil and lexapro are so closely related, I tolerated the cipramil much better. But again, its different for everyone, there are lots of different meds, it might be a case of trial ad error (which is not very pleasant), but I believe its worth finding the one that works best for you, especially if it is the case (possibly as it will be in mine), that you may be on and off medication for some time in your life.
    Also, dont neglect other things that can help - exercise, fresh air, practical things can really make a difference. Also, while counselling didnt help me, some people have major success stories from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I took it for a a while and didn't have too many problems with it. It's a good drug imo, worked well for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Everybody reacts differently to these meds.

Lexapro was a nighmare for me, for the first week I was hyperactive and did'nt sleep but by the end of the week I had extremely bad panic attacks (so bad i initially thought i was having a heart attack) and constant mood swings and the doctor had to sedate me as i was so agitated.

Even after i stopped taking it i was getting anxiety attacks and extreme mood changes out of nowhere for weeks afterwards.

I am back to normal thank god now but everyone experiences different side effects, you dont know until you try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

I am on lexapro 2 months now, and while I had a few side effects the first 2 weeks or so ie nausea, drowsiness etc, they are all gone now and the only one I still get is vivid, odd dreams occasionally. I was very unsure about going on lexapro initially as I didnt feel I was that bad and was also worried about the side effects. Now 2 mths in I can honestly saw it was the best decision I could have made, I feel so much better and in fact only now that I feel 'back to myself' do I recognise how low I felt before I started taking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hi,

I took Lexapro for 4 years but am now off them. I started on 40mg but for most of the time I was varying between 10 and 20mg. It will take a few months for you to really notice the effects, so please just get into the habit of taking the tablet(s) each day.

The side-effects aren't all that bad:

- You'll become more calm/mellow
    - Your concentration should improve
    - You will become slightly more tired
    - Your sex-drive (libido) might wane somewhat

Other than that, do NOT suddenly stop taking them. At various points I decided to stop taking them against my doctor's advice and I swear to you that the feeling in my head was the worst ever. Im not talking of a headache, etc.; I am referring to a severe feeling of sadness and depression.

So, when you do come off, the dosage should be gradually lessened. Even then, however, you should ensure that there are no big life events upcoming. You will most likely feel a bit sad coming off them, but it's just your body trying to get used to life without the daily dose of Lexapro.

Overall, I see Lexapro as having saved my life.

Kevin

• Advertisement

Hi all, I posted on this a few days ago, saying I had been on lexapro, and had changed tabs. Now I'm seriously considering trying the lexapro again, as it made me feel the most stable. The Effexor, when it works, is great, but I am having mood swings, feeling very upset, for the third time in 2 months. It might pass, but really dont think its worth it.
    Came off the lexapro because of the weight gain, and the lower libido, but may just have to put up with that, as its better to be slightly overweight than this upset, and I'm only upsetting all those around me

Jack, Lexapro is good for stabilising moods provided that you take it regularly and consistently (i.e. as prescribed). In fact, due to this fact, I've wondered why perople with Bipolar Disorder aren't given it. Instead, they seem to get more powerful drugs such as Lithium. Well, that's my observation at least.

kevin

Well, off to the doc tomorrow. Could not handle going through Christmas feeling like this. My boyfriend is getting fed up of me

Kevster wrote: »
    Jack, Lexapro is good for stabilising moods provided that you take it regularly and consistently (i.e. as prescribed). In fact, due to this fact, I've wondered why perople with Bipolar Disorder aren't given it. Instead, they seem to get more powerful drugs such as Lithium. Well, that's my observation at least.

kevin

lexapro is NOT a mood stabiliser.

it is an anti-depressant.

while some people with bipolar disorder are prescribed lexapro (usually in conjunction with other meds) there is a risk it will send them high.

I didn't mean to imply that it's a 'mood stabiliser' in the common meaning of the term. I simple meant that it can, for example, 'take away' your anger if you are a generally angry person, and it kind of mellows you out. Having taken Lexapro for four years, i am well aware of how it works, what class of drug it's in, and its side effects. Also, I think you'll find that most people with bipolar are not actually prescribed Lexapro. It is mainly for depression, anxiety, and OCD.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

... Also, I think you'll find that most people with bipolar are not actually prescribed Lexapro...

I think you'll find that Sam's well aware of what Lexapro is and what it's prescribed for. You know, what with being a psychiatrist and so on!:rolleyes:

I didn't mean to imply that it's a 'mood stabiliser' in the common meaning of the term.

why then did you wonder why it's not prescribed to people with bipolar disorder instead of drugs like lithium?
    Also, I think you'll find that most people with bipolar are not actually prescribed Lexapro. It is mainly for depression, anxiety, and OCD.

i never claimed most people with bipolar disorder are on lexapro. however, a lot of people are, both those with unipolar and bipolar depression.

i know full well what its indications are, it's a drug I prescribe a lot.

I wondered why Lexapro wasn't used for bipolar because I envisage that it could help the bipolar sufferer during their manic periods. I've already stated that I didn't mean to say Lexapro is a 'mood stabiliser' in the general meaning of the term (i.e. I know that it wouldn't have the same effect as the commonly-prescribed Lithium for bipolar sufferers).

I've been in this 'game' for a long time but, I must admit, not on a professional level. I'm going to relinquish this argument now though becvause it's not helping the OP, you, or I.

Kevin

I wondered why Lexapro wasn't used for bipolar because I envisage that it could help the bipolar sufferer during their manic periods.

giving an anti-depressant to a manic patient will only send them more manic.

• Advertisement

If that's what you have noted in your professional experience, then so-be-it. I just assumed that the idea was kind of novel; and I guess I was genuinely curious why Lexapro/SSRIs aren't used for BP. I respect your information though.

Take care,
    Kevin

Advertisement