Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

downsize planning permission

• 24-08-2009 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

This is probably too basic a question to warrant many replies, but I was wondering if I bought a site with full planning permission for a house, is it possible to "downsize" the house?

The house is aprox 3200 sq ft, two story but I couldn't afford to build a house that size.

It would work out very expensive as I know nothing about building so couldn't go the direct labout route.

Do I have to layout and build the inside as the the plans specify?
    Thinking maybe I could only do the downstairs for now and the upstairs later.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
    LJ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

You'd have to build the structure of the house according to plans as far as I know.. The size of the house couldn't be altered.

As far as finishing the house, you can take as long as you want to finish it. Just finish downstairs and have a bedroom that you can live in downstairs and do upstairs eventually..

Would you ever consider applying for planning for a smaller house on the site? The process could all be done in 6 months and you could build the house you want to and can afford to build instead of building a house you really don't want.. It might sound like hassle but I think living in a half finished house that is too big for your needs would be more of a hassle..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭ellejay

Thanks RFR

Ideally, I'd like to build a smaller house.
    But terrified of buying a site with view to downsizing plans, and denied.
    I guess I'd be stuck with a site and house that can't be completed.

I'd have to look at living downstairs for a good few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

ellejay wrote: »
    Thanks RFR

Ideally, I'd like to build a smaller house.
    But terrified of buying a site with view to downsizing plans, and denied.
    I guess I'd be stuck with a site and house that can't be completed.

I'd have to look at living downstairs for a good few years.

Ellejay,
    In the current market for sites, etc. I don't think that you should rush into it.. You can apply for planning before you actually buy the site or you can purchase the site subject to the planning being granted for the house you want..
    In any case, prices of sites have come down massively in the past year or so.. there may be another site available locally that you could think about purchasing subject to planning.
    It's a buyers market at the moment and I don't think you need to find yourself in the position that you're stuck with a site and house you can't complete.

Such a big house is going to be expensive to build whether you get it kitted out upstairs or not and you may need advice from someone as to what stage of completion upstairs would need to be brought to in order to satisfy regulations possibly?

A friend of mine built a 5,000 sq foot house 4 years ago and could only afford to finish half of it properly.. An unfinished job is a real nuisance, a house half the size could have been finished and would be more than suficient in his opinion.. I'd take my time if I were you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi Guys

This is probably too basic a question to warrant many replies, but I was wondering if I bought a site with full planning permission for a house, is it possible to "downsize" the house?

The house is aprox 3200 sq ft, two story but I couldn't afford to build a house that size.

It would work out very expensive as I know nothing about building so couldn't go the direct labout route.

Do I have to layout and build the inside as the the plans specify?
    Thinking maybe I could only do the downstairs for now and the upstairs later.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
    LJ

Ellejay a change of house type planning applciation is a lot more striaght forward than an entire new house & site application. If you have a site without any occupancy clauses it should be very striightforward to change the house design, Talk to your local planning dept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No6 wrote: »
    Ellejay a change of house type planning applciation is a lot more striaght forward than an entire new house & site application. If you have a site without any occupancy clauses it should be very striightforward to change the house design, Talk to your local planning dept.
    +1.

Make your application as advised for change of house type and do so before you actually buy the site. You can try to have this included as a clause in the contract for the sale/purchase of the site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭ellejay

Thanks Guys

Reapplying for house type is the way to go so.
    The more I look at plans I don't really like the front of it either.
    Really like the site though so I'll look at resubmitting plans.

Thanks for all your help.

LJ.

Advertisement