Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vauxhall insignia/opel insignia impression

• 24-08-2009 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

So was in England last week. We took out opels insignia (under vauxhall brandname) for our hire car. Our hire car was the top elite spec. I'm guessing the paddy version of the elite isnt nearly as well equipped.
    Anyway... I was incredibly impressed with it. The fit and finish inside was top notch. Easily up there with a 3 series. Very very nice. Its been a long time since I would rave about an opel/vauxhall but I was genuinely impressed. I woudl be worried if i was mr audi or mr bmw. Ford and Opel and others are pushing quality levels right up there...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Haven't driven one, but motoring journos seem to be impressed. They tend to rate it second in class after the Mondeo. The quality gap between these bread-and-butter d-class (family saloon) cars and the premium cars of the same size (A4, 3-series, etc.) has become a lot smaller in the past decade or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

So was in England last week. We took out opels insignia (under vauxhall brandname) for our hire car. Our hire car was the top elite spec. I'm guessing the paddy version of the elite isnt nearly as well equipped.
    Anyway... I was incredibly impressed with it. The fit and finish inside was top notch. Easily up there with a 3 series. Very very nice. Its been a long time since I would rave about an opel/vauxhall but I was genuinely impressed. I woudl be worried if i was mr audi or mr bmw. Ford and Opel and others are pushing quality levels right up there...

The fit and finish of most cars in that segment is easily up with Audi A4/Merc C-Class/BMW 3-series levels.
    The Elite spec over here is on par with UK, An Elite 160bhp diesel here is around 34,500, which makes it possibly the best value car in it's class. I'm not an opel fan either, but I can't see any reason to pick a Mondeo over one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Insignia is top notch by all accounts. About time the mass market stuff got the quality right.
    Whats the latest avensis like I wonder? Are they still trying to shift cars with crap bland plastics? I havent been in one yet.
    Audi interiors are generally great but there is a drop in quality in the latest ones IMO. The feel of the materials in still great but mine suffers from a few annoying rattles etc.
    BMW & Mercedes not really special enough now unless you get an S Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Biro wrote: »
    The fit and finish of most cars in that segment is easily up with Audi A4/Merc C-Class/BMW 3-series levels.

Residual values aren't, though. The Insignia will be better than a Vectra, but not up there with the premium badges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I see a lot more new Insignias on the road than new model Avensises. Maybe that is just my own anecdotal observation though I will admit. Styling of the Avensis is all wrong imo, a step back from when the last model first came out; it was THE car in it's class at the time in Ireland. New one looks less solid as well.

• Advertisement

Zube wrote: »
    Residual values aren't, though. The Insignia will be better than a Vectra, but not up there with the premium badges.

There's not a lot in it to be honest. An A4 that's 10,000 more than an Insignia won't be 10,000 more in 2 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

seen one goin and sat inside one of them, they are ape, top quality finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'm very biased. I own one. :D

I think they're a brilliant car to drive, and they look great too. Well worth the price, and they're great value, considering the class they are in.

Much better value than those premium brands, so a similar car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

The elite spec i sat in over there had electric leather seats, headlights that moved when you were going around corners etc... xenon HID lights and an incredible sat nav. It was cool because it automatically got these traffic watch updates and would warn you traffic was heavy on the m5 and would you like it to try calculate a diff route etc...
    It was spot on too! Although the voice was a bit annoying...

The elite spec i sat in over there had electric leather seats, headlights that moved when you were going around corners etc... xenon HID lights and an incredible sat nav. It was cool because it automatically got these traffic watch updates and would warn you traffic was heavy on the m5 and would you like it to try calculate a diff route etc...
    It was spot on too! Although the voice was a bit annoying...

The Elite has all that here too, except for the Sat Nav, but I think that's an option on the UK model too.

• Advertisement

The question is... if you were to ignore the badge. Given the choice between the new A4 and insignia, i genuinely reckon i would go insignia. It will be interesting to see what next gen 93 and 95 saabs will be like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The question is... if you were to ignore the badge. Given the choice between the new A4 and insignia, i genuinely reckon i would go insignia. It will be interesting to see what next gen 93 and 95 saabs will be like...

One of my customers has a choice between the A4 or the Insignia for one of their bands. Drivers can either order:

Audi A4 2.0Tdi 120ps (Base model) in either Flat Black or Flat Red

or

Opel Insignia 2.0CDTi 160ps Elite in any metallic colour with integrated bluetooth and around €500 of other extra's if they want.

Amazingly it's 5 - 3 in favour of the Audi :eek:

ECOFlex Insignia's are now available to order. €200 more than the non-ECOflex but tax is €156 rather than €302. Combined with slightly better economy it should pay for itself in a year - extra's are a bit cheaper as well on the ECOFlex models.

Thats incredible. IMHO the insignia is infinitely more attractive but thats a subjective thing. However what isnt subjective is the specs of the engine and what its like to drive. the 160bhp diesel is a great motor. Definitely a lot better/more modern than the 120bhp audi/vw jobbie.
    Given what ford has done with the mondeo and what the new focus will be like (in terms of more upmarket quality) i would be very interested to see how ford will differentiate the next volvo s40 besides badge and price...

R.O.R wrote: »
    One of my customers has a choice between the A4 or the Insignia for one of their bands. Drivers can either order:

Audi A4 2.0Tdi 120ps (Base model) in either Flat Black or Flat Red

or

Opel Insignia 2.0CDTi 160ps Elite in any metallic colour with integrated bluetooth and around €500 of other extra's if they want.

Amazingly it's 5 - 3 in favour of the Audi :eek:

ECOFlex Insignia's are now available to order. €200 more than the non-ECOflex but tax is €156 rather than €302. Combined with slightly better economy it should pay for itself in a year - extra's are a bit cheaper as well on the ECOFlex models.
    Goes to show the Irish mentallity. They deserve their bog basic crappy A4's if that's the choice they turned down! Amazing what people will put up with for the right badge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

This is the reason we have so many poverty spec A4's and 3 Series on our roads.
    The Modeo set have given up their luxuries for 'the badge'!

I think with the recession, businesses will want to give a more frugal appearance & the sales teams will be back in their Mondeos and Insignias...

Advertisement