Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

.ie Domains for a fiver!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

IE Domain Registration Policy
    http://www.blacknight.com/iedr-policy.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

Sounds like alot of work sending off documents and such :(
    very discouraging

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

very discouraging

Discouraging, Perhaps, However it does ensure a lot of good addresses arent taken randomly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Its not that discouraging,

Once you have a decent reason to register the domain, you will be grand. The IEDR aren't as strict as they used to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

very discouraging

It looks like you only need 1 document, I wonder if you can email it to them, like a bill from eircom, Vodafone, etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I emailed them documents before (with lets host.ie) and it was accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

You can only register yourname.ie or yourbusiness.ie iirc.No wonder their trying to drum up business!

Random wrote: »
    I emailed them documents before (with lets host.ie) and it was accepted.

I just registered and was able to attach a PDF bill downloaded from the web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

nava wrote: »
    I just registered and was able to attach a PDF bill downloaded from the web.

Good idea ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

garthv wrote: »

When I first read the above I was thinking OH NOES as I just transferred (literally this morning) 46 domains to Register365 but then I saw the line below in the T&C and breathed a sigh of relief. :)

The special price is limited to one order per customer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

AARRRGH wrote: »
    When I first read the above I was thinking OH NOES as I just transferred (literally this morning) 46 domains to Register365 but then I saw the line below in the T&C and breathed a sigh of relief. :)

The special price is limited to one order per customer
    Ha, if only that wasn't included, you could've saved a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I already have:

- www.basquille.net
    - www.brian-basquille.com (got it free with BlackKnight and never even set it up).

Maybe I should get an .ie though. Hmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Is it possible to set this up to forward to another address or does that cost extra?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

It looks like you only need 1 document, I wonder if you can email it to them, like a bill from eircom, Vodafone, etc
    I've emailed a digital photo of my license recently and it was accepted
    carbsy wrote: »
    You can only register yourname.ie or yourbusiness.ie iirc.No wonder their trying to drum up business!
    it doesn't have to be yourname or yourbusiness. it can be anything once you inform them that its a subsidiary of your main company.

I've emailed a digital photo of my license recently and it was accepted

it doesn't have to be yourname or yourbusiness. it can be anything once you inform them that its a subsidiary of your main company.

Yes same here, got the email below within a couple hours after I sent the PDF bill.
    IEDR.IE wrote:
    Dear Registrant,

Thank you very much for your application for the registration of the domain name: xxxxxxxxx.ie

This has been accepted, and the supplied nameserver information will be verified. If the nameservers are not fully configured a verification failure email will be sent to the email address of the listed technical contact.

Kind regards,
    IE Hostmaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

xxxxxxxxx.ie
    Are you going to set up a sex site with an Irish flavour :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

They make it sound harder than it actually is to get a .ie domain name i got mine last feb. when they ran the .ie domain for a tenner promo. the site is www.bone-idle.ie as you can see thats neither my name or business i just wrote them a nice polite letter outlining what the site was for (ps3/xbox games) and why i would like to request the name. and it all went through really quickly with no problems.

My site is built with the free site builder blacknight give you when you buy some hosting ( about 50 euro a year ) i have had 0% experience with building sites so i dont think its turned out too bad for a first timer.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Are you going to set up a sex site with an Irish flavour :D

yes, but also that's my 1stname/lastname.ie :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Set up an account and it gets easier to register a domain the second time. I grabbed Hagar.ie in two minutes with no formalities as I had already got an account.

God knows what I'll do with it. Suggestions on a postcard please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Hagar wrote: »
    Set up an account and it gets easier to register a domain the second time. I grabbed Hagar.ie in two minutes with no formalities as I had already got an account.

God knows what I'll do with it. Suggestions on a postcard please.

A viking-themed comic strip, perhaps? :)

• Advertisement

Hmmm... that sounds promising. So I can go with anything on a second domain? Even if it's unrelated to me or my company name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

One order per client, the terms are pretty clear ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Where do I email the documents to? Does it prompt me at the end of the transaction or something?

I'll scan in my drivers licence, passport, and a signed note. That should do it :) Just registering my name for the lulz :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Would people recommend Hosting365? They do a "lite" package (5gb) for €30 per year. Or is it simpler to use the company you bought the domain from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

grizzly wrote: »
    Would people recommend Hosting365? They do a "lite" package (5gb) for €30 per year. Or is it simpler to use the company you bought the domain from?

All the one really but I do recommend blacknight. Good customer service and an unbelievably easy to use control panel (which lets you automagically install wordpress and other such nice things)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Dave! wrote: »
    Where do I email the documents to? Does it prompt me at the end of the transaction or something?

I'll scan in my drivers licence, passport, and a signed note. That should do it :) Just registering my name for the lulz :D

you will get an email with a link to a page. You can upload the docs from that page. I did it last night and got confirmation that the docs were accepted this morning. Fairly painless imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tis a great deal but..

[OT]

Don't like their new Control Panel at all (well, it's been around a while now).. at least in the old one they allowed you to be able to add a wildcard address ('%') to access a MySQL database. Not anymore - only a dedicated static address is possible!

[/OT]

What the hell.....?

I registered the domain with blacknight, but wasn't prompted to send any documentation

So I checked out iedr.ie and they seem to want me to register with them, which I was doing (they redirected me to domainregistry.ie), but now they're prompting me for €70 payment?! :eek:

Me bollix

What have I done wrong? :o

Just saw dubmick's post... Cheers, I'll wait for the email :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

If I want to use a .ie, but I'm not a business do I have to use my real name? or can I use something abstract? eg. a portfolio site called wizbang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I just transferred (literally this morning) 46 domains to Register365
    That was, ummm, brave!

They have me jumping through hoops now with copies of passports etc. It's not as if I was trying to order a registered company name or a politician's name. Ireland and red tape grrrrrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

im being so good these days !
    i went to order it like 3 times and got to the last stage and turned around and said do i really need this.

man the ression is coming out of my ears now !

samhail wrote: »
    im being so good these days !
    i went to order it like 3 times and got to the last stage and turned around and said do i really need this.

man the ression is coming out of my ears now !
    Of course you need it ;)

I've just got official notification from IEDR that Hagar.ie is now formally registered in my name.

The accepted the fact that I have been using the pseudonym Hagar on Boards.ie for over 7 yrs as sufficient precedent to grant me the domain.

I'm counting this as a win. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Where do you go to on the site to register for one. i dont know where to go from the blog

• Advertisement

I've just got official notification from IEDR that Hagar.ie is now formally registered in my name.

The accepted the fact that I have been using the pseudonym Hagar on Boards.ie for over 7 yrs as sufficient precedent to grant me the domain.

I'm counting this as a win. :D
    LOL

IEDR is a sham ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Where do you go to on the site to register for one. i dont know where to go from the blog

Just search for your domain, then add to cart.
    It'll bring you through some questions, but don't worry about the price for the .ie. It'll show up as €5 at the end (then add on the VAT).

Just got mine registered and approved. My online meteor account allowed me to download a bill in pdf format. That was enough for registration.
    Very easy to do.

Just need to work out what I'm going to do with my site now :eek:

its looking for vat numbers and rbn numbers.
    i have neither

If your not looking for a business name domain just type in the word "None" that's what I did and it worked out fine.

its for my brother hes a sole trader.. presume he'll need those number so to register for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

How long are these valid for and how do I actually get the domain from the link? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

They won't let me register my own name as a domain. :( Fuppin' IEDR are a bunch of cocks! I wanted to register just my surname, which is unusual enough that I'm not depriving someone else of the opportunity. The domain's available, if someone had wanted it that badly, they'd have had it by now, FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

blastman wrote: »
    They won't let me register my own name as a domain. :( Fuppin' IEDR are a bunch of cocks! I wanted to register just my surname, which is unusual enough that I'm not depriving someone else of the opportunity. The domain's available, if someone had wanted it that badly, they'd have had it by now, FFS!

Maybe register your surname as a business name ?

I use blacknight by the way and find them so helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

its for my brother hes a sole trader.. presume he'll need those number so to register for it

Does he have a registered business name ? if so you can check it up from www.cro.ie and get the number for it there and then register it with that :)

Dave! wrote: »
    LOL

IEDR is a sham ! :D

Agreed, their "rules" seem to be getting more bent by the day.

Between this and catholic.ie redirecting to countmeout.ie my respect to their registration policy has gone done.

But congrats on the domain Hagar. It's a good 'un.

Advertisement