Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

galway taxi driver,s

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Heh, to add another thing then, the taxi in front of me at the lights was in the wrong lane too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen the bumper stickers some have with "Guaranteed Irish Taxi Drivers" written on them?

I think there's now a taxi "firm" called that.

I don't plan on catching 'em in a hurry.

There's at least one African driver who's been in Ireland for 10 years: he knew my accent wasn't Irish (most foreign-nationals can't tell!), and knows his way around the city very well. He's "local" enough for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

JustMary wrote: »
    I think there's now a taxi "firm" called that.

I don't plan on catching 'em in a hurry.

There's at least one African driver who's been in Ireland for 10 years: he knew my accent wasn't Irish (most foreign-nationals can't tell!), and knows his way around the city very well. He's "local" enough for me!

Agree completey. I've limited experience of taxi drivers in Galway, but the only non-Irish black drivers that I've had have without exception been very courteous and efficient.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

O.P to me its quiet obviously that he stoped all of a sudden around a corner on purpose so that you would run into the back of him, its a common scam, if you run into the back of him, its your fault and he will sue and propbaly get thousands. What you should of done was called the Guards and took down his License number.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

O.P to me its quiet obviously that he stoped all of a sudden around a corner on purpose so that you would run into the back of him, its a common scam, if you run into the back of him, its your fault and he will sue and propbaly get thousands. What you should of done was called the Guards and took down his License number.
    i was going to stop but i thought i better keep going ,stupid i know shud ave took his number.i was on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

churchview wrote: »
    Agree completey. I've limited experience of taxi drivers in Galway, but the only non-Irish black drivers that I've had have without exception been very courteous and efficient.

plus some african drivers play choons, and at party level volumes too! they're so laid back and cool.

after a night out, i much rather being in their company than sitting in a car with some auld irish fart that has no radio on (or worse, RTE Radio 1!) and has no chit chat to offer other than the occasional racist rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

blond45 wrote: »
    i was going to stop but i thought i better keep going ,stupid i know shud ave took his number.i was on my own.

What he did was stupid - I had a similar thing happen to me last year. The taxi braked suddenly and pulled to the right. Luckily, I still had my window up, as a stream of projectile puke, flew out of his rear window like a flock of swallows, and pebble-dashed the side of my car.

I wasn't so lucky another night - driving out the Monivea Rd past Carnmore Cross on a freezing night, window down as I was smoking a cigarette. Unfortunately for me, a County council road gritter was coming in the opposite direction, and I got an eyeful of grit that came in the window. Time to give up the fags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Be vigilant!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

i try to get in african taxis when i can,try give impression we not all racist.never heard such bile from any1 in my life,every time im in a white taxi its a rant about the blacks.hate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

DEY TUK AR JOOBS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

This is why we dont have Taxi driver threads in the galway forum

They alway melt down into a steaming pile of racism

and also has anyone seen that git who plastered big irish flag decals down the side of his car, I avoided his cab just because of that

Ive noting against foreign national cab drivers , but if your a cab driver you should know the city like the back of your hand,
    One guy didnt know where headford was.... or the headford rd:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Did a taxi crash down the Lough Atalia Road into the water recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Heres one to lighten the mood!

A guy in a taxi wanted to speak to the driver so he leaned forward and tapped him on the shoulder.

The driver screamed, jumped up in the air and yanked the wheel over. The car mounted the curb, demolished a lamppost and came to a stop inches from a shop window.

The startled passenger said "I didn't mean to frighten you, just wanted to ask you something."

Taxi driver says "Not your fault Sir. It's my first day as a cab driver, I've been driving a hearse for the past 25 years". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Have to say I always go with procabs, never once had a problem with the taxi drivers, one even gave me about 20 euro in vouchers for some italian place near me. Talk about service these days eh? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭JOM34

How do they get away with parking up on the footpath along O'Briens bridge? It's a feckin disgrace! Many times I've elderly people and people with buggies strugglin to squeeze down that path with all the cabs queued up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JOM34 wrote: »
    How do they get away with parking up on the footpath along O'Briens bridge? It's a feckin disgrace! Many times I've elderly people and people with buggies strugglin to squeeze down that path with all the cabs queued up.

If they're genuinly blocking you from using the path, get into 'ram raid' mode and push your way through with your wheelchair/buggy, leaving a nice scratch on their car - they won't be so quick to park like idiots in future. If they come after you, tell them you'll forward your wheelchair insurance details :pac: While i'm a big believer of "Don't fcuk with another persons property" some of the muppet taxi-drivers that block that road are beyond belief.

I drive aswell as walk, and parking on the path is just a big no-no for me. It's not because i'm such a nice guy (I am though ;)) - it's because i've seen people ticketed for it before so don't run the risk. Why Taxi's aren't getting ticketed is beyone me

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Hopped into a Taxi last night in the taxi rank on Bridge Street. Girlfriend and I were to cold to walk home. We live on St Mary’s Road, but we can enter our flat from Raleigh Row. The taxi stuck on his indicator to turn right and was about to pull out with a Garda van pulled up beside him. Told him we wasn’t aloud to turn right (U-Turn) on Bridge Street. Never seen a “No U-Turn” sign there. The fare is usually 5 yoyos but because of the extra journey home last night cost us 8.50. (Recession and all)

What I found funny was, when the Taxi man pulled off and heading down Market Street and Abbeygate Street while the Garda van that was behind us heading down Bowling Green and cut us off at Mary’s Street (Sally’s). :rolleyes:

Let just say that the Taxi man wasn’t Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Hopped into a Taxi last night in the taxi rank on Bridge Street. Girlfriend and I were to cold to walk home. We live on St Mary’s Road, but we can enter our flat from Raleigh Row. The taxi stuck on his indicator to turn right and was about to pull out with a Garda van pulled up beside him. Told him we wasn’t aloud to turn right (U-Turn) on Bridge Street. Never seen a “No U-Turn” sign there. The fare is usually 5 yoyos but because of the extra journey home last night cost us 8.50. (Recession and all)

What I found funny was, when the Taxi man pulled off and heading down Market Street and Abbeygate Street while the Garda van that was behind us heading down Bowling Green and cut us off at Mary’s Street (Sally’s). :rolleyes:

I think the Gardai may have been (legally) right. Think about it, to perform that U-Turn, you'd have to go the wrong way on a one-way street for a few seconds (as you're turning) - It's one way from Quay St-Buskers-Supermacs-Straight on towards St. Pats, and the Taxi (Or any veichle) that performs a U-Turn there would be going the wrong way on that one way stretch.

TBH, the walk from Cross St. to Raleigh Row is 5 mins and the weather isin't exactly Baltic - If you get a Taxi for that short distance is pure laziness. The only exception that I wouldn't walk that short distance is if the OH was heavily pregnant or injured or something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Starie1975 wrote: »

hey, at least you got a ride for that distance - last time I tried to get from Kelly's Bar to St. Mary's Road, the taxi driver refused to take me that 'short distance'. Ended up walking home, on my own, in the middle of the night, on high heels. There's a rant about that somewhere on boards...

(incidentally - do you guys have water or are your pipes frozen, too?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

JOM34 wrote: »

Or what about Forster Street and O'Connells side of the Square? They regularly create absolute traffic chaos there between clogging up Forster Street and driving straight onto a crowded road from the bus station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

I don't give a toss where a taxi driver if from but I expect them to have a basic knowledge of what they're doing.

Twice I've got into Galway taxis with drivers (one Irish, one not for the record) who didn't even know whether Doughiska was on the east or west side of the city and had to be directed at every junction. It's one thing to not know all the estates but whole areas is a bit of a joke. They could at least buy a bloody sat-nav!

Advertisement