Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"SERIOUS ASSAULT ON MAN IN SALTHILL BY MASKED ATTACKERS"

Options
  • 24-08-2009 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Anyone know any more info on this? Scary stuff...

SERIOUS ASSAULT ON MAN IN SALTHILL BY MASKED ATTACKERS
    Mon 24th August 2009
    A young man has been seriously assaulted in Salthill

The attack took place as the man was walking home along Maunsell's Road around 3.30am yesterday

It's understood two men wearing balaclavas jumped out from behind bushes and attacked him with iron bars.

The man, who's in his mid-twenties, managed to escape and alerted Gardai around 4am who took him to hospital for treatment.

His injuries were not serious but he's believed to be traumatised after the assault.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

FFS
    Is this the latest trend now, people stabbing or kicking 10 colours of poo out of each other.
    Seriously though there needs to be some community cohesion programme adopted by GCC to help keep people pacified.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I would be very surprised if this was a random act of violence. Two guys with balaclavas and iron bars, sounds like they knew what they were doing and who they were going after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if this was a random act of violence. Two guys with balaclavas and iron bars, sounds like they knew what they were doing and who they were going after.

Thats what I am hoping. I know that sounds bad but it would be scary if it was random.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

How is Maunsell's Road in Salthill now?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

In Estate Agent speak all of Galway is Salthill or Tailors Hill....:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Robbo wrote: »

What mike said above really....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Mike... wrote: »
    In Estate Agent speak all of Galway is Salthill or Tailors Hill....:D:D

One of the best crackers i've heard from Estate Agents in the past....

"Maunsells Park, Taylor's Hill"

"Fort Lorenzo, Taylor's Hill"

NEITHER of these addresses are on Taylor's Hill ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Robbo wrote: »

agreed, but its hardly in shantalla!
    its kinda in between, in NO MANS LAND!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

skelliser wrote: »

How dare this slob of a journalist say it is in Salthill. It is clearly either in Taylors Hill or in Shantalla ....and all the best walls to hide behind are at the Taylors Hill end of Maunsells Road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

JohnCleary wrote: »
    One of the best crackers i've heard from Estate Agents in the past....

"Maunsells Park, Taylor's Hill"

"Fort Lorenzo, Taylor's Hill"

NEITHER of these addresses are on Taylor's Hill ffs!

Well Fort Lorenzo (as in the house that the estate is named after) was on Taylor's Hill before the name Kingston was adopted approx 35 years ago.

Maybe, more accurately they could have said Maunsell's Road, off Taylor's Hill. But Salthill, wtf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    How dare this slob of a journalist say it is in Salthill. It is clearly either in Taylors Hill or in Shantalla ....and all the best walls to hide behind are at the Taylors Hill end of Maunsells Road :D

And exactly where were YOU at around 3.30am last night? :D

That's a dreadful story though. Such a residential area seems like an odd place for an attack whether it was planned or not. Scarey stuff.

Are there locations like "Taylors Hill" , "Shantalla" added to addresses like Maunsells Road and Highfield Park etc usually? I thought they were all offical no mans land territory.

The guy on the other thread with his crayon map of desirable areas/undesirable areas, updated by his numbered map, needs to be informed!

Maybe his homies or homeboys, or whatever he calls them, mgiht be able to shed some light on what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

AFAIK half of Maunsells Rd is a Taylors Hill address, and half of it is Shantalla.
    I used to live in Maunsells Park years ago, the postman had a big smile telling me how half the park used Taylors Hill, the other half Shantalla!

Awful that this happened ('nice area' or not:rolleyes:). It is a bit of a lonely road at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MikeHand

The story was greeted with a chorus of “yeea-son”s from my homies. I had the red crayon out for pseudo-Salthill, but then I reckoned the perps might have been from Rahoon or something so I left as is. I suppose from now on if you're walking down Maunsell's Road late at night and you're approached by masked men reeking of Buckfast, DO NOT break stride.

MikeHand wrote: »
    The story was greeted with a chorus of “yeea-son”s from my homies. I had the red crayon out for pseudo-Salthill, but then I reckoned the perps might have been from Rahoon or something so I left as is. I suppose from now on if you're walking down Maunsell's Road late at night and you're approached by masked men reeking of Buckfast, DO NOT break stride.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

All my mother's bills are addressed

Bishop O'Donnell Road
    Salthill(?)

Hah ha! She's some mong for one mong!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

MikeHand wrote: »

facepalm3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

matters of geography aside, it's unusual for something like that to happen in that area...

the masked thing is the thing that kind of freaks me out a bit though....

any word on whether there is a connection between the fact that there was a gay pride night on not too far away in the Warwick Saturday night? Just seems like a lot of trouble to go to and more premeditated than your random assault...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

After the other thread, I started wondering about where boundaries actually are.

So I sat down with Mr Just (who's lived here for 20 years, in various west-of-the-Corrib places) and Google-maps, and tried drawing areas. It gets hard to say where the boundary really is, and even harder if you know the particular local nuances, eg" ahh, you can't be saying that Highland Park is in Shantalla now". Eventually I stopped, rather than have a fight over whether there's really a suburb called "Friar's Hill" or not (seems to me that every now thinks it's part of Claddagh).

If anyone knows the victim, please pass on get-well-soon wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

what parish is muansells road in? is it the jes
    would that make it lwr salthill then?

• Advertisement

I would hazard a guess that it may be in the Parish of Rahoon or St Joseph's....

That only makes it more confusing. I think it's part of St. Joseph's Parish.

churchview wrote: »
    That only makes it more confusing. I think it's part of St. Joseph's Parish.

The Jez, St Joseph's and Bushypark are all in the Parish of Rahoon...Taylors Hill is probably the boundary between the two parishes, i.e. Rahoon/Salthill....

all of this is extremely off-topic though....? :(

Bushypark is called a church of ease, as it was easier for parishioners to go there for mass, because they were so far away from the main church.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

On lower Taylors Hill, the north side of the road is part of St Josephs and the south side belongs to Salthill Church. Bitter inter-priest gang wars have been fought over it with bike chains and chalices as weapons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:eek: Ive often walked that road late at night after being on the beer, one night i was walking and someone started firing stones at me from across the road, i couldnt see no one so i juat walked briskly on, the scumbag missed me on every count not one stone hit me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

so it seems that that's where the little sh*ts go once they're done causing trouble in town (namely drinking down near the Jes, screaming, shouting and destroying property all the way up to St. Mary's Road and kicking off mirrors on Taylor's Hill).
    Nice.

They're probably the same little f***ers who have some walls and lamposts on Taylor's Hill and Kingston covered in graffiti.

The Jez, St Joseph's and Bushypark are all in the Parish of Rahoon...Taylors Hill is probably the boundary between the two parishes, i.e. Rahoon/Salthill....

all of this is extremely off-topic though....? :(

Totally off topic but who could resist a conversation of parish demarcation:D. I'm fairly sure that the boundary between Rahoon parish and St Joesephs parish is the Shantalla Rd that runs past Higgins Builder Provider.As you come up that rd heading toward Rahoon, everything on the right side is Rahoon parish and everything on the left is St Josephs. Highfield and Maunsells are all in St Joesephs.

chilly wrote: »
    Totally off topic but who could resist a conversation of parish demarcation:D. I'm fairly sure that the boundary between Rahoon parish and St Joesephs parish is the Shantalla Rd that runs past Higgins Builder Provider.As you come up that rd heading toward Rahoon, everything on the right side is Rahoon parish and everything on the left is St Josephs. Highfield and Maunsells are all in St Joesephs.

Rahoon Parish is an old Parish, I think roughly the same as St. Joseph's. It now goes by the name St. Josephs. The parishes were all reorganised a few years ago, couldn't tell you when exactly when, to account for new areas like Westside and Knocknacarra.

• Advertisement

churchview wrote: »
    They're probably the same little f***ers who have some walls and lamposts on Taylor's Hill and Kingston covered in graffiti.

Balaclavas and crobars sounds alot more sinister than that.I think it's pretty clear they were intent on doing someone harm.The thought of two people approaching wearing balaclavas on a august night is pretty terrifying.Poor guy must be seriously shuck.

Advertisement