Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are Gamestop trying to screw people with new pre-order offer.

Options
  • 24-08-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

I was in my local Gamestop in the Crescent SC limerick earlier and saw a sign next to the pre-order games saying something along the lines of 'want to get this game for free?? talk to our staff about our trade in offer'.
    So I ask the guy about it and he shows me the list of games that will get you 30euro off a game if you pre-order it. He then tells me that If I say pre-order batman for example and give them two games from the list that I will get batman for free. I told him that it was hardly free if you were giving two premium trade in titles which amounted to 60euro and asked him how much batman was going to be. Even though its out this friday he didnt know. I told him the batman game would only be around 50euro at the most and probably much less. He just shrugged at me.

My point is that they are saying you will get 30euro trade in for your 'fairly new games' towards this game and if you give them two of those games you will have the game paid off. This would be grand if the game cost anything near the 60 euro but it will more likely be in the 45 to 50 euro range.

Sounds like a rip off to me but maybe I'm over-reacting.

Anyone know what kind of trade in offers Game and smyths are doing for Batman: Arkham asylum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You're over-reacting. In fairness, technically they're wrong, but do you honestly expect to get games for free from a shop? That's what the internet is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

humanji wrote: »
    You're over-reacting. In fairness, technically they're wrong, but do you honestly expect to get games for free from a shop? That's what the internet is for.

Funny.. but seriously I'm not actually too bothered by the 'Free' part its the taking two titles that they claim will give you €60 off but only giving you a game worth much less thats annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I traded in 2 games woth €60 total for a game worth only €50. They gave me a gift card with the remaining €10 on it. Maybe they might do that?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Pre-ordering games, special editions, horse armour: all an excuse to rip off consumers.

What really makes me laugh: pre-ordering games on digital download sites. Reserve your copy now before our brass internet tubes fill up and we run out of bandwith! I mean fair enough if there's a discount or even maybe if you can pre-load but sheesh, I've seen games available for pre-purchase with no benefits whatsoever attached for doing so. O HAI have mai monee.

Special editions? Pay a significant extra amount for a tiny, tiny amount of content relative to the game itself. You know who you are. You are suckers.
    O HAI - haf €20 moar; can i hav mai speshal kolors, kards wiv pikchurs on them, kommemeratif tablecloth and metal toy now?

For
    Fcuk's
    Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Maximillian I can see your point - some people do like getting extras, like the coin that came with Oblivion special edition, or the book with Gears of war/Halo 3.

I got discounts on those so it's the only reason I bought the special editions. Pre-ordering I guess some people do it so they can pay off a bit here and there, I don't like lumping €60 straight up on a game.

That said I haven't bought a full price game since Halo 3, I either rent, or buy used games. (If I even bother at all anymore, so little time for gaming).

• Advertisement

kendragon wrote: »
    Funny.. but seriously I'm not actually too bothered by the 'Free' part its the taking two titles that they claim will give you €60 off but only giving you a game worth much less thats annoying me.

Well, when you bring two games in to most shops, you'll be lucky if you get half of what they're worth. So if it wasn't for that offer, you'd probably still have to put money towards the game, even after having exchanged your two older games. They just picked a round number to help explain it better. I do see how it's screwing people over, but it's the same with any shop really. They want you to think you're getting a deal, when you're really paying over the odds.
    Maximilian wrote: »
    Pre-ordering games, special editions, horse armour: all an excuse to rip off consumers.

What really makes me laugh: pre-ordering games on digital download sites. Reserve your copy now before our brass internet tubes fill up and we run out of bandwith! I mean fair enough if there's a discount or even maybe if you can pre-load but sheesh, I've seen games available for pre-purchase with no benefits whatsoever attached for doing so. O HAI have mai monee.

Special editions? Pay a significant extra amount for a tiny, tiny amount of content relative to the game itself. You know who you are. You are suckers.
    O HAI - haf €20 moar; can i hav mai speshal kolors, kards wiv pikchurs on them, kommemeratif tablecloth and metal toy now?

For
    Fcuk's
    Sake

To be honest, I buy the odd collectors edition for the feelies in them, but only if there's pretty much feck all in the price difference. But one I saw (and I hope it was a mistake or a pisstake, but it didn't seem like it) was the special edition of Mortal Online that was going for €1000. They had 100 copies of it and it sold out almost instantly :eek:

Some people just have too much money!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

humanji wrote: »

To be honest, I buy the odd collectors edition for the feelies in them, but only if there's pretty much feck all in the price difference. But one I saw (and I hope it was a mistake or a pisstake, but it didn't seem like it) was the special edition of Mortal Online that was going for €1000. They had 100 copies of it and it sold out almost instantly :eek:

Some people just have too much money!

I had to check this out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mortal-Online-Limited-Edition-no-1-Mortal-For-Life_W0QQitemZ320389517168QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item4a98b40f70&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

In fairness, it's for charity.

Christ, that's even more than I thought. Still, even if it's going to charity, someone spent over $5k on a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

pre order stuff is a load of crap. just buy it online way cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Sorry OP, not much sympathy for you there, that's how this system works. Go with the interweb, buying on ebay or from a well respected site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Companion Cube

Gamestop make a very small percentage of their profits from brand new game sales.

They compensate for these horrible margins by reselling trade in games, this is how the business actually becomes sustainable.

If this wasn't common practice and if this side of the business wasn't lucrative (where you trade in 2 50 euros games for 1 60 euro game), new releases would be 30 percent more expensive or simply the game publishers would go out of business along with the retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Niska

Of course they are - it's ho they make money (as Companion Cube said). But you're right, it's not free, but would "Do you want to get this game for no monetary transaction?" doesn't quite cut it....

Anyway we're beginning to see some movement from the games publisher's to stop, or discourage anyway, secondhand sales over new sales. I think GoW 2 had a code for a map pack, which of course you couldn't use if you got it secondhand (hardly a deal breaker). More recently, EA's Madden '10 had Online League available via download - free if you had the code printed in the manual (unless you're in Europe, where a printing error cocked that up), or €15 otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised if FIFA 10 uses a similar system.

you buy a game a brand new game. and walk out and go into another game stop and say hi I would like to trade this in. they will offer you 20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

cable842 wrote: »
    you buy a game a brand new game. and walk out and go into another game stop and say hi I would like to trade this in. they will offer you 20 euro
    You buy a brand new car, and it loses €3000 instantly.

Try Adverts.ie.

thanks for backing me up dog. kiki rocks

If you buy a sandwich in a shop for €4.50 in Spar and then walk into a Centra 5 minutes later, it is next to impossible to get them to buy the crusts and the discarded cucumber slices. An argument ensues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

It's even worse with condoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

It's even worse with condoms.

You selling 'preowned' condoms? PM Sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

You all make very good points... So anyone know how much gamestop is charging for Arkham asylum then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

The moral of the story is... don't use gamestop. Sell your 2nd hand games on Adverts.ie/ebay and buy them online from Play/Play-Asia/wherever.
    kendragon wrote: »
    You all make very good points... So anyone know how much gamestop is charging for Arkham asylum then?
    Zavvi.co.uk are doing it for €30

• Advertisement

have to go with him on that. adverts is the bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

I'm actually planning on going down today to do a couple of these offers.

I'll be trading in GTA Chinatown... I bought this brand new for 27 euro...

Animal Crossing for the DS... played to hell and got for about 40 euro more than two years ago...

And COD:WAW which I never play anymore and I doubt I'll get even half that usually...

Good deal If you ask me.

Just a small question, can I pre-order Batman today seen as its out tomorrow??

Also Dead Rising 2 or Brutal Legend?

Advertisement