Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First tattoo.....

• 24-08-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Heya chaps, thinking of getting my first tattoo very soon and just want abit of advise.

Were is the best place in Bray to get it done? I was thinking nine lives or atattoo.

Is it normal to be really nervois about it? ,I have the tattoo I want printed out on paper and really really like it, I just find myself very nervois:rolleyes:

Lastly im planning on getting it done on my chest just above my peck, how sore will it be?

Chears for all replys....
    Jason

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

The pains different for everyone, i think people tend to exaggerate pain though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

Just been talking to a tattooist and he said I will proberly pass out from the pain, is that true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

sounds like that tattoo person was trying to put you off getting it done, it hurts but not pass out hurt. Bearable pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

heyjay14 wrote: »
    Just been talking to a tattooist and he said I will proberly pass out from the pain, is that true?
    why did he tell you that? but it does hurt you wont pass out. got mine done on my lower back. a rose. i love it but no way would i ever do it again. rather go through labour pain,s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Hi Jason

I can't recommend anywhere in Bray as I've no direct experience, I can however say you'd be in safe hands with the guys Colourworks, Zulu and Snakebite.
    What are you getting tattooed? Dont go to Atattooed or Nine lives purely because they're near your house go to them because the artist is perfect for what you want.
    The pain is very tolerable and is relative to the amount of time spent getting tattooed.
    Can I ask what age you are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The pain differs for everyone, and different locations on your body.
    My shoulder blades were sore, now and then, but my chest was pretty sore the whole way through. Nowhere near pass-out pain though.

Chears for the replys lads......
    Diceicle wrote: »
    Hi Jason

I can't recommend anywhere in Bray as I've no direct experience, I can however say you'd be in safe hands with the guys Colourworks, Zulu and Snakebite.
    What are you getting tattooed? Dont go to Atattooed or Nine lives purely because they're near your house go to them because the artist is perfect for what you want.
    The pain is very tolerable and is relative to the amount of time spent getting tattooed.
    Can I ask what age you are?

Im 17, will be 18 in febuary. Planning on getting a tribal eagle tattoo, but that may change. Heres a pic, http://th04.deviantart.com/fs12/300W/i/2006/317/8/6/tribal_eagle_by_xx_trigrhappy_xx.png..... Would really like something unique but suck at drawing:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 stochen_gesicht

Personally, I think if a tattoo artist told you you were gona pass out from the pain he's A) Taking the mick out of you or B) Tryna turn away business for the shop! A tattoist is supposed to be supportive and honest! Not a knob!

It does sound fishy alright he was probably trying to scare you off or something... How odd

Sounds very odd to me, he also said it would cost 250 euro:eek:, and the place across the road that do very similar and very good work only cost 60:). Think I might go there if I get it done funnily enough.

• Advertisement

Sorry lads, another question for you. Since being told that the chest is such a "sore" place to get done, Iv been thinking of getting the same tat on my right arm, but I do alot of weights so my question is, if my arms get abit bigger or maybe smaller if/when I stop doing weights will the tat look bad or distorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

He was probably trying to put you off getting it done for a while.

Been looking at getting my first one done also, planning on going to a few different artists to see their style and portfolio and what ideas they can add to what I have in mind. If I'm going to get it done, I want to get it done right first time.

Chears for the replys lads......

Im 17, will be 18 in febuary. Planning on getting a tribal eagle tattoo, but that may change. Heres a pic, http://th04.deviantart.com/fs12/300W/i/2006/317/8/6/tribal_eagle_by_xx_trigrhappy_xx.png..... Would really like something unique but suck at drawing:p
    If you'd rather something custom, and you like the tattoo drawn up by that deviant art artist, then why not drop them a message and see if they'd be interested in drawing you up something?

If you'd rather something custom, and you like the tattoo drawn up by that deviant art artist, then why not drop them a message and see if they'd be interested in drawing you up something?

To be honest I really like this one, I just like the idea of having something that no one else has. Think I might head down on thursday to get it, but think hard in the mean time.

Anyway in regards to my previous question, does anyone know if it would look messed up if my arms get any bigger/smaller?

chears
    Jason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Anyway in regards to my previous question, does anyone know if it would look messed up if my arms get any bigger/smaller?

chears
    Jason

It wont

dancor wrote: »
    It wont

Chears man, all I needed to know.....

Im 17, will be 18 in febuary.
    To be honest I really like this one, I just like the idea of having something that no one else has. Think I might head down on thursday to get it, but think hard in the mean time.
    My advise? Wait till February. It's not that long to wait to be honest! The places that'll tattoo you when you're under 18 are not places that you should go for a multitude of reasons.

As regards your arms, it really depends on placement, and how much bigger your arms get. If you look like Mr. Muscle and intend on building your arms to be like Hulk Hogans 'pythons' then the skin will obviously need to stretch, badly distorting the tattoo. If you're just bulking up a little bit more, then it shouldn't be too bad.

My advise? Wait till February. It's not that long to wait to be honest! The places that'll tattoo you when you're under 18 are not places that you should go for a multitude of reasons.

As regards your arms, it really depends on placement, and how much bigger your arms get. If you look like Mr. Muscle and intend on building your arms to be like Hulk Hogans 'pythons' then the skin will obviously need to stretch, badly distorting the tattoo. If you're just bulking up a little bit more, then it shouldn't be too bad.

Im preety much the size I want to be now, maybe throw on another 5kg or so but thats nuthin.

Chears for the advise lads... Really looking forward to getting some ink:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pinky pippa

thinking of getting a tattoo on my foot!! anyone with any experience on what its like???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

You will probably get some distortion if your arms change size. The degree to which the distortion will affect the look of the tattoo will depend on what your getting and what part of your arm and what size.
    I got a 2 tattoos on my arms at a young age, my arms grew. One was bigger than the other and was slightly distorted but it was a snake and made no real difference to the look of it. ON the other arm I got a smaller tattoo and it didn't really change that much at all.
    Ask the tattooist, he'll be able to tell you.

Also, I think I know which tattooist in Bray told you that, in a random conversation with me before he mentioned that a lot of his who get tattooed there can feel a bit nautious during the process and sometimes pass out. He did have a good explanation for it at the time but I can't remember what it was.:D

• Advertisement

Hibrion wrote: »
    You will probably get some distortion if your arms change size. The degree to which the distortion will affect the look of the tattoo will depend on what your getting and what part of your arm and what size.
    I got a 2 tattoos on my arms at a young age, my arms grew. One was bigger than the other and was slightly distorted but it was a snake and made no real difference to the look of it. ON the other arm I got a smaller tattoo and it didn't really change that much at all.
    Ask the tattooist, he'll be able to tell you.

Also, I think I know which tattooist in Bray told you that, in a random conversation with me before he mentioned that a lot of his who get tattooed there can feel a bit nautious during the process and sometimes pass out. He did have a good explanation for it at the time but I can't remember what it was.:D

Chears man, im getting a tribal bird on my upper right arm, showed the tattooist today and she said it may become slightly distorted. Worst comes to worst, ill get a cover up if it looks really bad. Would it be better to get the tattoo bigger or smaller to help prevent distortion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Depends on the person really, everyone has a different threshhold for pain.
    Take for example:
    blond45 wrote: »
    why did he tell you that? but it does hurt you wont pass out. got mine done on my lower back. a rose. i love it but no way would i ever do it again. rather go through labour pain,s.

I've got a tattoo on my lower back that is probably bigger, and has a lot of ink (basically a full circle of ink filled in), and went over my spine area quite a lot. There was a little bit of pain, but not much really, totally bearable and I actually quite enjoyed the whole experience. Planning more now! But I think my pain threshold isn't very low, so that helps.

thinking of getting a tattoo on my foot!! anyone with any experience on what its like???
    My gf has swallows on her feet, i recall she fell asleep/totally spaced out while it was being done

Chears for the advise lads... Really looking forward to getting some ink:)
    I'd still advise you to wait till you're 18, though you don't seem to want to listen to this piece of the advice.
    koneko wrote: »
    Depends on the person really, everyone has a different threshhold for pain.
    Take for example:
    I've got a tattoo on my lower back that is probably bigger, and has a lot of ink (basically a full circle of ink filled in), and went over my spine area quite a lot. There was a little bit of pain, but not much really, totally bearable and I actually quite enjoyed the whole experience. Planning more now! But I think my pain threshold isn't very low, so that helps.
    S.T.A.R.S. logo or Umbrella? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

zero19 wrote: »
    My gf has swallows on her feet, i recall she fell asleep/totally spaced out while it was being done

i did indeedy! :D;)

I'd still advise you to wait till you're 18, though you don't seem to want to listen to this piece of the advice.

Its not that I dont want to listen to your adive man, its just iv been wanting a tattoo since I was 15, yes I could wait the extra few months untill im 18 but what difference would that make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

God, don't tempt me, man. Just as nerdy though :/

heyjay14, they'll want your parents there to sign and say they're okay with it at the very least, unless they aren't checking your age where you end up going (which would make me weary of getting a tat there in the first place). It's always good to wait a while once you've settled on a design, since it's gonna stay there :)

The difference it'd make is that you could have your choice of studio/artist then, rather than having to go to someone that doesn't care about you being under 18. In my general experience those artists that are willing to tattoo anyone under 18 aren't the best.

You said yourself you don't think the few months will make a difference, so what's the rush?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

the other side if you have a bad experience and the artist screws up then either a) your underage and lied to the artist and therefore have no come back or b) he shouldn't have done it in the first place and you still knew you were underage.

to be honest i know you want it done now but just helping with advise where we can :)

Mark

• Advertisement

The difference it'd make is that you could have your choice of studio/artist then, rather than having to go to someone that doesn't care about you being under 18. In my general experience those artists that are willing to tattoo anyone under 18 aren't the best.

You said yourself you don't think the few months will make a difference, so what's the rush?

I know exactly were rour coming from man, ahh maybe I will leave it till im 18. Will see how I feel in a few days.

Advertisement