Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First tattoo.....

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ladyofthelake

Hate to be such a "girl" but maybe just get something that is indiscreet and small? That way you can build up to a bigger one in time. Also if you've decided that you don't like it it won't be hard to cover up or remove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I just got my first tattoo a few weeks ago, quite a big piece as well. It's on my back, and the initial shading and outlining didn't hurt at all, it felt like someone drawing with a pen on me, but when he had to go over the outline it did hurt quite a bit, but then again after 3.5 hrs my blood sugar was fairly low.

You'll feel more pain the lower your blood sugar is, and the more nausious you'll feel. You should eat a proper meal at about an hour before you get your tattoo done, and take something like Dextro Engery before and while you're getting the work done (http://www.dextro-energy.com/produkte/stange/index.asp#). They're available in most chemists and supermarkets, and they are a quick release sugar, so it should help keep you blood sugar more stable. You'll want to take a couple afterwards as well.

I forgot to pick some up, and while I was grand leaving the place, but I woke up the next morning feeling incredibly ill. I took 3 tsp of fruit sugar syrup and a tsp of honey and felt better within half an hour.

I really would wait until you're 18 to get it done, as you'll have access to more professional tattoo artists. My brother in law got his done somewhere in bray when he was 16, and I don't think they were done as well as they could have been elsewhere. Do your research into the artist's work and also the hygenie of the tattoo place. Also, make sure you take care of it properly after you get it done, it's there forever, and you don't want it to look bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I got my tribal tattoo done in D1 in Dublin, got it done small and planning on extending it. I think thats the best advice, I was 17 getting it done not 18 till next month and I have had it a month or longer...

My mate also got his done and he is 16, we where asked if we where 18 and we said yes and made up a DOB...Another mate has had a tattoo done since he was 14/15 and it still looks 100% and no fading away in it or anything...

I would probably take DamoElDiablo's advice and wait till your 18 and get some big thing on it so it will look cooler...

But then again at the end of the day it is all up to you, we can't tell you what to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭blacon9

My advice is go to dublin. Sounds like whoever you were talking to in Bray was trying to put you off it. 250 quid is far too expensive for that eagle. I got a trible dragon a few weeks back, much bigger than that one, for 130 in Colourworks, temple bar.

Just head in to dublin, there's a lot of professional spots to choose from.

And don't worry about the pain, it's definately bearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

Chears guys, working on modyfying the eagle now so it looks more original... Will deffo take a look in Dublin soon...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I got my tribal tattoo done in D1 in Dublin, got it done small and planning on extending it. I think thats the best advice, I was 17 getting it done not 18 till next month and I have had it a month or longer...

My mate also got his done and he is 16, we where asked if we where 18 and we said yes and made up a DOB...Another mate has had a tattoo done since he was 14/15 and it still looks 100% and no fading away in it or anything...

I would probably take DamoElDiablo's advice and wait till your 18 and get some big thing on it so it will look cooler...

But then again at the end of the day it is all up to you, we can't tell you what to do..

Getting it done small and extending it later is terrible advice. being smaller makes it no less permanent, nor less commited to a particular style. In fact, small, central tribal makes it very difficult to extend it later on - because the bars are proportionally smaller, they can't be extened to a half/full sleeve without it being overly busy and tight.

you've had it a month yeah? not even full settled in then. you have a mate that has a tattoo since 15? Well, he's your mate so he probably is like what 17/18? wait til he is thirty - then you might have an idea if it fades or warps...

Advertisement