Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia mini laptop - Booklet 3G

• 24-08-2009 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Nokia have announced this morning that they will be launching a mini laptop, the Booklet 3G. There is no word on a release date, however, it will be running Windows 7, so it will most likely be released within the same time frame as Windows 7; 22 October 2009.

Nokia-Booklet-3G-camera-150x150.jpg

Nokia-Booklet-3G-HDMI-150x150.jpg

Some specifications:

- 10" HD ready glass display (probably 1366 x 768)
    - Integrated 3G/HSPA
    - Wi-Fi
    - Bluetooth
    - A-GPS
    - HDMI out
    - 12 hours battery life

More information will be released at Nokia World on 2 September 2009.

*Mods, please fee free to move this to the Laptops forum, if you so wish. I only posted this thread in the Mobiles & PDAs forum as it is regarding Nokia, a phone manufacturer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Gorgeous piece of kit(in the vid, anyway). We'll see how long it takes to come to market.
    I reckon we could see this on contract with mobile broadband packages.
    Price will be the decider, as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Looks like a decent netbook. But given Nokia's recent financial performance and decreasing marketshare, I've to question the wisdom of this expansion into a massively competitive market. They should be reducing the amount of lines they have, it's the same rot that caused Sony to tumble - far, far too many products, trying to cater to too many groups and loosing focus at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Obskure wrote: »
    Gorgeous piece of kit(in the vid, anyway). We'll see how long it takes to come to market.
    I reckon we could see this on contract with mobile broadband packages.
    Price will be the decider, as usual

I agree. It is crucial that the price is exactly right, otherwise people will just pass over it. I can see it being offered at a subsidised price with a mobile broadband package, as you mentioned, as it not only has been done before, but it would the most sense if Nokia hope to earn enough of a profit to make this endeavour worthwhile.
    Looks like a decent netbook. But given Nokia's recent financial performance and decreasing marketshare, I've to question the wisdom of this expansion into a massively competitive market. They should be reducing the amount of lines they have, it's the same rot that caused Sony to tumble - far, far too many products, trying to cater to too many groups and loosing focus at the same time.

I imagine if Nokia don't manage this mini laptop/netbook accordingly, they could be in trouble financially and shareholders will be getting even more scared at the future of the brand and the company as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Can't see much on the mobile theme but in theory this all sounds great.

More manufacturers need to allow in built sim card slots in their laptops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Lol,I'm fairly sure the mods know that Nokia is a phone manufacturer and don't need to be told!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Seeing as they say the HDMI will be capable of HD video out I assume this is based on the ion platform. We really do need the specifications of this though. Processor, ram, hard drive, graphics chipset, OS.

Seeing as they say the HDMI will be capable of HD video out I assume this is based on the ion platform. We really do need the specifications of this though. Processor, ram, hard drive, graphics chipset, OS.

Apparently Windows 7 and a new Atom processor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Someone nudge me, I can't.. for the life of me remember which Nokia phone those mousepad buttons remind me of.

nokianetbook.jpg

Sadly, it seems it'll have the Z530, great for battery, not so great for other duties.

---

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/08/a-closer-look-at-the-nokia-booklet-3g-photos.html

http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-booklet-3g-gets-live-images-2453540/

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/24/nokia-booklet-3g-is-really-real-as-seen-on-camera/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It looks nice i suppose, but given the aluminium case and the glass screen coupled with a quoted 12 hour battery life, i really can't see this thing being cheap. And, despite the HDMI out, i would question whether it's running ion, as it would eat into that impressive battery life significantly. Still would be cool if it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

It looks nice i suppose, but given the aluminium case and the glass screen coupled with a quoted 12 hour battery life, i really can't see this thing being cheap. And, despite the HDMI out, i would question whether it's running ion, as it would eat into that impressive battery life significantly. Still would be cool if it did.

I can't see how they can't. As I mentioned yesterday, I would imagine the Booklet would be available at a subsidised price from a mobile provider, otherwise Nokia would simply be shooting themselves in the foot.

Ideally Ion would be available on the Booklet, therefore allowing 1080p decoding. I can't see how Nokia would go with the Intel 945 chipset with GMA 950 integrated graphics and still have up 12 hours battery life; the 945 chipset isn't the most efficient.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Ideally Ion would be available on the Booklet.

Broadcom and nVidia have both denied involvement, Engadget were trying to root out details, curious as to why they'd put HDMI on it.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Broadcom and nVidia have both denied involvement, Engadget were trying to root out details, curious as to why they'd put HDMI on it.

I read that too; Ion at this point is more a wish of mine than anything else, eve with Nvidia's denial. I can't see how Nokia can claim that battery life figure and not have a next generation graphics chipset. Practically all the current netbooks have the Intel GMA 950 which simply isn't going to cut the mustard, so to speak, when we're talking 1080p decoding; if it even includes it at all.

I have an idea regarding the HDMI out and whether HD decoding will be possible. Either Nokia go the way of Dell, with their 10 mini, and include a HDMI out, but with no hardware HD decoding capabilities, or they do what we're all hoping and include hardware HD decoding capabilities in order to justify the inclusion of the HDMI out.

I guess there's no point in going around in circles with this with the 'will they, won't they,' as we'll all find out on 2 September. ;)

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I guess there's no point in going around in circles with this with the 'will they, won't they,' as we'll all find out on 2 September. ;)

But i want it now!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭RobD_

Someone nudge me, I can't.. for the life of me remember which Nokia phone those mousepad buttons remind me of.

nokianetbook.jpg

Sadly, it seems it'll have the Z530, great for battery, not so great for other duties.

---

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/08/a-closer-look-at-the-nokia-booklet-3g-photos.html

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/24/nokia-booklet-3g-is-really-real-as-seen-on-camera/

i want to take a wild guess and say the N-Gauge ???

am i close ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

nokianetbook.jpg

---

[/URL]

Reminds me of thi, the 7600

nokia-7600-(Start-screen).jpg

That's the one. There's another Nokia that has the Call\End buttons curving up the sides of the screen, but again, can't put my finger on it.

Oh.. and just to say, I was suprised by your pic, I didn't know 3 existed when that phone was out.. it's a bit long in the tooth now.

But i want it now!:pac:

Behave you! You'll get it if you're patient. :p
    That's the one. There's another Nokia that has the Call\End buttons curving up the sides of the screen, but again, can't put my finger on it.

Oh.. and just to say, I was suprised by your pic, I didn't know 3 existed when that phone was out.. it's a bit long in the tooth now.

Is it the Nokia 6620?

no6620_00.jpg

Sorry for having you guessing, it could just be the colour too, remember there was an off cream 8210?

• Advertisement

Sorry for having you guessing, it could just be the colour too, remember there was an off cream 8210?

No it's ok. I remember you could change the cover on the 8210, so I can't say I specifically remember an off cream colour; I remember a lot of cheap looking covers though, which always looked rubbish.

Ok, last attempt. The Nokia 6600?

no6600.gif

And just because I forgot about this model, which isn't included in my guessing, the Nokia 7200. :pac:

no7200.gif

Just to get things back on track a bit. The lid is the best netbook lid, they've gone for a beveled blob that stops short of the edge, nice design, with a relatively discreet (typical for Nokia) logo.

nokialid.jpg

I like the glass display and it will be interesting to see how it holds up outdoors. The fact that it comes in different colours too should appeal to those who are into that; I personally prefer black, silver or a combination of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

One figure I saw for the price said 500 - 800. Can't remember whether that was €, £ or $.

Too dear methinks. If the price was realistic I'd consider getting one for the battery life and the HD screen.

Glass screen surely presents a danger in terms of portability and the risk of getting broken...?

Nokia seem to be bringing out a new phone model or gadget every week...in an already saturated market. As other posters suggested, they need to trim the number of handsets and refocus on good design, good features and good usability, rather than catering for about 50 segments of the market. Cater for 25 and do it smarter and better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

It's looking like this will cost around $800, according to engadget. If that does turn out to be the price, then this is dead in the water before it even started.

Netbooks are all about price; they've evolved into cheap laptops and people aren't going to pay $800 for a Nokia brand.

mobius42 wrote: »
    It's looking like this will cost around $800, according to engadget. If that does turn out to be the price, then this is dead in the water before it even started.

Netbooks are all about price; they've evolved into cheap laptops and people aren't going to pay $800 for a Nokia brand.

Agreed. That's a disaster of a price. How many months before they pull out of the market?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If it's $800 it's gonna sink. No one would pay that for a netbook when they can get a proper laptop for cheaper.

That's an awful price. They're obviously going after the almost non existent "premium netbook" market. It's a shame really. I wonder what things will look like in the next few months with the release of 7 and the ion platform becoming more common place.

That's an awful price. They're obviously going after the almost non existent "premium netbook" market. It's a shame really. I wonder what things will look like in the next few months with the release of 7 and the ion platform becoming more common place.
    The premium netbook market does exist in my opinion but it doesn't go that high. Samsung netbooks are some of the most expensive in the market, you really don't want to be pricing yourself above them especially by a couple of hundred dollars.

• Advertisement

Well, the day has arrived and a lot of new information is available for the Nokia Booklet 3G; you can read the article on Engadget here. Some of the highlights are below:

- 10.1-inch LCD (1280 x 720 resolution)
    - 1.6GHz Intel Atom Z530 CPU
    - 1 GB DDR2 RAM
    - 120GB hard drive (1.8-inch, 4200RPM)
    - 16 cell battery
    - Price = €570

The price, as the article mentions, will be heavily subsidised by the mobile operator(s), so it's not as bad as it first looks. I find it interesting that they've gone with an actual 720p resolution screen, as opposed to the 1366 x 768 resolution screens found on the other netbooks.

Advertisement