Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 450D good first camera?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I have a 400d and I couldn't reccomend that range enough. Great cameras, easy to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Very good purchase for a 1st Camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Hi caspermccormack, welcome to the tog forum.

The 450D was my second dslr, I really enjoyed it, learned a lot, and can't fault it for the level it's pitched at. Would you consider the 500D which has replaced the 450D since you're future-proofing? It adds HD video among other upgrades. As for keeping it for a few years that was my plan but photography is a bug that bites, you'll probably find that your €600 gets repeated...

I've never owned nikon, others here can advise, but now is the time to consider all options.

It's well worth keeping an eye on adverts.ie (your boards login works) and buying 2nd hand, ideally from someone who has given it light use. eBay has gone down in my estimation, I think some sellers are banking on people assuming eBay always has the best value, it doesn't there are some total rip-offs on there so bid based on a good shop around.

Don't be dazzled by lists of extras in big coloured text, price them all. Memory cards, batteries etc are all getting cheaper and you may never bother with a tripod.

Lenses are arguably the most important consideration, your collection will reflect the kind of photography you become most interested in, ie portraits, landscapes, sports, macro. Would I be right in guessing you'd like to try a bit of everything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I bought the Canon EOS 500D from Komplett here a few weeks ago - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=446575
    It's €616 ex VAT. Seemed to be a better option than the 450D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

I'll take onboard the fact that the 500d has hd video, but is this an option that would be used? does anyboby here use there DSLR's for video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

has the 500d anything else over the 450d?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I think they are great entry level cameras. I've recommneded them to two people and one for the office where I work. I shoot Nikon so I'm not biased towards Canon. I personally think that for the money, entry level Canons offer that bit more than entry level Nikons.

Nikon users please don't persecute me for saying that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Recently bought a 400d off adverts, only have it a week but ove it to bits, had the lend of a friends D80 before this. Great camera, v easy to use and fantastic quality. I'd advise looking for a 400/450d and investing your money in good glass/flash etc, unless you plan to be printing huge posters or really want the video

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭khennessy86

were you really able to get the 500d for €616 on komplett its listed now as 749 not including delivert that seems too high,

• Advertisement

were you really able to get the 500d for €616 on komplett its listed now as 749 not including delivert that seems too high,

616 without the vat, i think he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's definitely a good buy, i bought a 350d, and still use it all the time, not a huge photographer, but i'm still impressed with the pics from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The 450D was my first dSLR and I'm still nowhere near to pushing it's limits. Definitely recommended as a first camera. From my reading the 500D doesn't have anything worth upgrading to from the 450D unless you're interested in the video which I wouldn't be.

[

Lenses are arguably the most important consideration, your collection will reflect the kind of photography you become most interested in, ie portraits, landscapes, sports, macro. Would I be right in guessing you'd like to try a bit of everything?[/quote]

Yep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I'll take onboard the fact that the 500d has hd video, but is this an option that would be used? does anyboby here use there DSLR's for video?

I occasionally do use the Video function on my Nikon D90 ,as limited as it is. As time goes on I will continue to use it from time to time, but I would have to say it is not a necessary function on a DSLR.
    It will get a bit more use when I have a kid though.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

I've had (and lost) the 450D - great camera.
    I've since replaced it with the 500D about 4 months ago and I've never used the video function.

The only real difference is the 12MP compared to the 15MP - i still can't tell the difference.

However, i'm just a beginner as well.
    Anyway, i've posted this before because i travel so much and strangely enough it more often than not turns out to be cheaper than most other stores. If you're traveling through one of the UK airports (or know someone who is) check out dixons tax free.

500D is €660
    450D is €550

http://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=imaging.home&section=imaging&group=13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tony1000

Forget the canon 500D,go out and buy the 450D,even better try and pick up a secondhand 400D which is a great camera.The 500D which was launched recently is a follow on to the 450D,but only adds HD Video Recording,now ask yourself this do you want to shoot photos or make a movie?
    Why canon have added a video recorder to a great camera i will never know,but who am i to argue,they obviously know what they are doing.
    I converted to digital over three and a half years ago and bought myself the canon 400D which was canons lower scale model,i now have a canon 5D and use my 400D as a spare,i did not trade in or sell it as i would get nothing for it so i decided to hold it as a spare,and am i glad i made that decision as it is a great camera as anyone who owns one will tell you.
    So take my advice start small,buy the 450D and get out there and enjoy it,you will soon find that it was a good decision you made.
    Regards Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Hi I have the 400d its my first dslr and I think its fine I've taken load of good pictures with it

2 things
    it doesn't have spot metering which would be nice.
    maximum iso is 1600 which is very noise-ey.

800 iso is ok and that with f1.8 50mm would be grand for most gig shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Anyone know if this could get hit with import duty?
    It states "Item will be sent as gift to minimize custom duties, VAT and import tax exposure. It is buyer’s responsibility to pay for customs duties, VAT and import tax if applicable."

You'd be breaking the law if you didn't pay the duty and vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

I love my 450D, only have it 2 mths!! Traded in my Sony Alpha 200 for it as I wasn't impressed with the Sony. Am posting some pics shortly taken in Austria recently if you want to take a look.....

Go for it - its a great beginner camera - as I am learning from it all the time!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

the 450d is an amazing camera and you won't be disappointed. Mine is just new previous to that I was using my dad's 20D and I'm impressed with how the 450D performs.

Best thing to do would be to learn all the different types of shots you can take with it and experiment.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

democrates wrote: »
    It states "Item will be sent as gift to minimize custom duties, VAT and import tax exposure. It is buyer’s responsibility to pay for customs duties, VAT and import tax if applicable."

You'd be breaking the law if you didn't pay the duty and vat.

I bit the bullet and bought one in a store. More expensive than online but got loads of stuff thrown in and an extended warranty doesn't count for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 doodle_bear

Iv had my 450d since christmas.

Its a very nice camera and plenty of functions..i still havnt got my head around them all yet.

however, the standard lens (18-55mm) isnt great in my opinion. Iv had problems with noise and focus since iv had the camera but after researching iv found that its the lens which is causing the problem.

Some people have the same prob with that lens, others not so much but its just the standard kit lens so it does the job!

In relation to getting a 450d over the 500d...id say go for the 500d. I havnt used it but its ata good price and an obvious upgrade! but all in all 450d is a nice little buddy to have indeed!:D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/larajsnaps
    http://www.bebo.com/LaraHDP

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

I got 450d as my first DSLR nearly a year ago. Knowing barely the basics about taking pictures, rather than snaps, I found it very easy to use and get around. Also the manual is written very simple and understandable way.

I can't really say enough good things about it. Fits in my quite small hands nicely, it's not heavy, functions are great. It gets bit noisy when shooting in ISO 1600+, but it's not too bad; no problems with any lens at all - neither the kit lens, nor any other I bought in the mean time...

Got mine from HongKong for approx. €600 incl. the tax but that was a year ago, so would expect the prices to be lower now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I've given the choice of new camera serious thought and am persuaded by all the positive vibes about the Canon EOS 450D.

Pixmania seem to offer the best value. Hope to but tomorrow.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Slightly surprised this hasn't turned more into a Nikon vs. Canon war. I got the Nikon D60 as my entry to DSLR. I learned lots and loved it. I won't go into detail but after travelling through Thailand, I no longer have it.

So I am also looking to buy and, despite being happy with Nikon, I've given a lot of thought to the 450D. They are quite comparible I think. The thing is, the D60 is quite a bit cheaper, for the same price as getting the 450D with the standard 18-55, I could get the D60 with 18-55 and 55-200.

However (so many considerations!), like SLR HD, I'm not sure how much I'd use a high zoom lens as I'm all about he panoramic and landscape shots. And if I did want one later, learning that and investing in better than a kit lens would prolly be a better idea.

So does anyone have experience with both the D60 & the 450D? To be honest, being a beginner, I'm not even sure I'll notice much of a difference. But like the original poster, I want to start off (start again after having the D60) on a high note, with as much bang-for-buck as I can get.

@DeLorian I've only ever taken a few shots with a nikon (so the owner could be in the pic). To me it felt better engineered than the 450d I had back then. The nikon shutter sounded and felt lighter, whereas the canon is more clunky and you can feel its movement as you hold the camera. That is the limit on my dual experience.

Keep an eye on adverts.ie for bargains, can't stress that enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

any deals on canon 450?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

malene wrote: »
    any deals on canon 450?
    Where?Here?

Advertisement