Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What monitor?

Options
  • 24-08-2009 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Curious to know what computer monitor my fellow coders use..

mine

Thinking of upgrading to bigger screen, but concerned about my eyes exploding!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I've a 22in at home which is great. Can have an api open side by side with whatever IDE I'm using.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

I find it easiest to code on a 24 inch at 1920 x 1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'm not a full time coder, but have one of these at home, which are great for anything graphical.

At work I've 2 screens, which can be handy for Windowed GUI/Web based stuff as I'd just have code on one screen and the app itself on the other.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

As big as possible and preferably more than one. Some day I'll be running a triple monitor setup. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Anima wrote: »
    I've a 22in at home which is great. Can have an api open side by side with whatever IDE I'm using.

What model monitor is that Anima?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

I've a 22" Acer (that I got in Argos) at home. In work I've to suffer a 17". We tried to get a dual setup since we do a lot of GUI work (other parts of the business have these) - but the miserable bastids we work for wouldn't be arsed making the business case to themselves (cnuts).

I was thinking of just buying a cheap 22", but people have a habit of poking their pens at the screen when they're showing you something, today being a case in point where I now have a lovely blue dot right in the centre when someone decided to point out something to me with their pen, I'd be really mad if it was actually my monitor.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

Dual 24" screens are the way to go. Plenty of space to leave debug and log windows open while coding and testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

What model monitor is that Anima?

Its a Samsung something or other, I'm sure theres better out there now. Just looking at komplett and I spotted a 23in, http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=478998. Seems pretty good for 139 quid. You really have to check reviews of a monitor though because some brands and models can be really dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Iiyama ProLite B2403WS 24"

I bought it in Feb 2008 and turned it on for the first time last Sunday. :eek:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=1279&pn=2

I finally took some data off an old Pentium II and put it on a Komplett with Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz processor bought Feb 2008.
    Indexing a large database file on the old machine 1' 34" ; on the newer PC 0' 4".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

At college I have a regular old Dell 20" widescreen. Back at home I have a 22" LG monitor which is the biz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Why just one?
    When you've had two at the same time, one just doesn't do it for you anymore.

It is SOOOOO much more productive having dual monitors. Go for three or more if you have the space and money but two is the minimum I would use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Oh tell me about it. Dual screen is on the list for sure!

Or I might just settle for something like this :pac:

alienware.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Two bog standard Dell 19" Monitors. Much prefer two normal size screens for doing web stuff, as no matter how much I play around with the resolution on bigger monitors, I can never really get an idea of what a site will look at on a normal screen. Though when using Visual & SQL Studio, I'd like the extra space that a bigger monitor would give me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

In work I work off my laptop monitor and a 19" iiyama LCD. I don't know how I'd manage with just one in work. Great for having your code in one window and the website you're working on in another.

More often than not I have two SQL query windows open when I'm working on backend stuff.

At home I have a lovely NEC 24" monitor. Don't bother with the dual setup at home much since I mostly use it for non work related stuff like playing games.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

eoin wrote: »
    Two bog standard Dell 19" Monitors. Much prefer two normal size screens for doing web stuff, as no matter how much I play around with the resolution on bigger monitors, I can never really get an idea of what a site will look at on a normal screen. Though when using Visual & SQL Studio, I'd like the extra space that a bigger monitor would give me.

Firefox has a developer toolbar that lets you change the resolution of the browser if that is what you are referring to. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Firefox has a developer toolbar that lets you change the resolution of the browser if that is what you are referring to. Very handy.

Thanks AC - I know what you mean, but it's just never quite the same - fonts seem to render quite differently and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

30032009054.jpg?w=600&h=450&h=449

Twin monitors, one a widescreen, but both rotated to portrait mode because that way I can see more code on-screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Can never have enough USB KEYS Sparks!

[also thinkpad ftw]

[also what the hell type of keyboard is that]

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The USB keys were for a user trial :D
    Thinkpad FTW indeed, but I should have gotten the fancier Nvidia graphics card :(
    And it's a Kinesis Advantage contoured keyboard. Been using them since '97. Bought that one on my own money (yes, they're that good at fixing/preventing RSI).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Curious to know what computer monitor my fellow coders use..
    Thinking of upgrading to bigger screen, but concerned about my eyes exploding!
    I switched to a dual monitor setup at home and at work just after Christmas this year. Both systems use two generic 19 inch Dell monitors. Initially I found the extra screen space a bit confusing but after a while I got used to it and now I would never go back.

The extra screen is handy for keeping a web browser or a helpful open at the same time as whatever IDE I'm using.

I would say go for as big a screen as your desk (and wallet) can support, especially if you do other stuff like watch movies or play games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

3 Dell 19 inch. One turned horizontal to get more into the screen

Advertisement