Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rubbish that is the UK Singles Chart

Options
  • 24-08-2009 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Sine downlaods have counted towards the UK Singles Chart around three years ago, music such as pop,rap and dance have tended to dominate the Top 40. Who really listened to the rubbish that gets into the top 10 like cascada, jls, beyonce anyway. Good music like rock is being robbed of bands getting into the top 10 let alone the no.1 spot. I think it's damn right disgrace.
    The official release of the new Arctic Monkeys' single 'Crying Lightning' didn't even manage to make the top 40 and i was expecting a top 10 spot, the british public are shameful for their music tastesmad.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭liam09

Sine downlaods have counted towards the UK Singles Chart around three years ago, music such as pop,rap and dance have tended to dominate the Top 40. Who really listened to the rubbish that gets into the top 10 like cascada, jls, beyonce anyway. Good music like rock is being robbed of bands getting into the top 10 let alone the no.1 spot. I think it's damn right disgrace.
    The official release of the new Arctic Monkeys' single 'Crying Lightning' didn't even manage to make the top 40 and i was expecting a top 10 spot, the british public are shameful for their music tastesmad.gif
    man i ur so right cascada is rubbish artic monkeys is my favourite band i was shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it got to number 12 when it came out on download back in July. Last weeks release was just the 7"/10" and hardly anyone buys vinyl these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

To be fair the top 40 charts in any country is decided by 14 year old girls, I dont know anyone who buys many singles and me personally have never bought a single in my life, just stick to albums and *cough* rapidshare *cough*:o.

Although the latter probably contributes a lot to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

A: charts are never indicative of quality, they're indicative of popular taste.

B: "Good music like rock" has been pretty much a complete oxymoron for decades really...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

A: charts are never indicative of quality, they're indicative of popular taste.

B: "Good music like rock" has been pretty much a complete oxymoron for decades really...

I'd agree with this.

A very strong argument can be made for putting Arctic Monkeys in the pop category.

And as pointed out this was the release of the vinyl single. So that makes things a lot different. I also have no idea why you singled out the UK. This happens in beloved Ireland as awell as a host of other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

lordgoat wrote: »
    A very strong argument can be made for putting Arctic Monkeys in the pop category.

Definitely not true anymore. Their new stuff certainly is not pop. Gone are the I Bet you look good on the dancefloor days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

The The X Factor winner gets to No 1 by murdering a classic and our ears are polluted once more for about 10 weeks-- I cant even listen to the radio anymore with the likes of Tinchy Stryder, Little Boots, Lady? Gaga, Black Eye Peas, puke puke puke!!

I do like Calvin Harris though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭1_in_1,000,000

Gawd you must be realy old ;) Thers lily allen, and Beyonce and Noisettes and lady GAGA and Flo rida and Nelly furtado. All great.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

The The X Factor winner gets to No 1 by murdering a classic and our ears are polluted once more for about 10 weeks-- I cant even listen to the radio anymore with the likes of Tinchy Stryder, Little Boots, Lady? Gaga, Black Eye Peas, puke puke puke!!

I do like Calvin Harris though!
    +1 Calvin harris is deadly.
    the new noisettes on is good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

papa-papa-papa-papa-papa-papa-razzi

have u seen my weiner?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Gawd you must be realy old ;) Thers lily allen, and Beyonce and Noisettes and lady GAGA and Flo rida and Nelly furtado. All great.

Im 20 and I like good music not rubbish like Beyonce,noisettes, lady gaga and flo rida or nelly furtado. Beyonce and nelly furtado are both great singers but the music they catergoise themselves in is complete rubbish. Flo rida? he runied an 80s classic 'spin me round'. Rock is what it's all about, guitars, bass and drums not silly synth pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Im 20 and I like good music not rubbish like Beyonce,noisettes, lady gaga and flo rida or nelly furtado. Beyonce and nelly furtado are both great singers but the music they catergoise themselves in is complete rubbish. Flo rida? he runied an 80s classic 'spin me round'. Rock is what it's all about, guitars, bass and drums not silly synth pop.

It's about damn time that real musicans got the respect that they deserve, People that actually creat their own music and understand the beauty of how it is made. Not these "artists", who don't write their own songs, have no understanding of music and are nothing more than a pretty face.

There is so much wrong with this...

Nearly all of the bands you dislike have drums, guitar and bass.

silly synth pop = spin me round - no? Or maybe it's the lyrical integrity that you value in it?

There is so much wrong with this...

Nearly all of the bands you dislike have drums, guitar and bass.

silly synth pop = spin me round - no? Or maybe it's the lyrical integrity that you value in it?

Im not saying i adore 'spin me round' or the group who perform it 'dead or alive, im merely stating it was a classic tune from the 80s. Im not saying it's the **** but the original is way better than the flo rida version.

I haven't mentioned the groups I disliked anyway, merely snoddy artists who don't work their way up like a rock n roll quartet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

The irish charts are twice as bad. no variation in this country whatsoever. Commercial radio is all there is, so the majority of our (dimwitted) public are happy enough having their music taste dictated to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭emurf

In my opinion. No performer should no matter what genre should be lauded until they have to walk from pub to pub handing in Demo's, Hung their own posters , handed out fliers , Luged their own gear in and out of pubs , Played to 5 people in the worst ****hole in hell , driven 200 miles for €150.
    Winning a talent contest does not replace hard work and slog.

Im not saying i adore 'spin me round' or the group who perform it 'dead or alive, im merely stating it was a classic tune from the 80s. Im not saying it's the **** but the original is way better than the flo rida version.

I haven't mentioned the groups I disliked anyway, merely snoddy artists who don't work their way up like a rock n roll quartet.

Sorry i presumed you disliked these snoddy artists due to your posts about them being rubbish (Beyonce,noisettes, lady gaga and flo rida or nelly furtado). Am i to assume that you do infact like some of these.

So now you've moved from rock to rock n roll quartets.

Hard to keep up with you!

Oh and it's Dead or Alive from 1985.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Just the normal natural end of summer lull. Spot of burn-out occurs during silly season. Again though you are referencing the charts so you get what you get there. Then as much as now.
    Be thankful you weren't around in the 80's as that was generally one big long lull in decent music making much of an impact on the charts.
    Dead or Alive indeed, probably wouldn't be giving it a moniker "classic" so easily if it had been banging though your own ears constantly for a good 6 month, one listen of that intermnable shoight should be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

It would be cool if charts were just abolished altogether. Then nobody would be making music just to get a number 1 hit, they will be making music just for their love of music. I think there'll be far better music around then :D

• Advertisement

Sorry i presumed you disliked these snoddy artists due to your posts about them being rubbish (Beyonce,noisettes, lady gaga and flo rida or nelly furtado). Am i to assume that you do infact like some of these.

So now you've moved from rock to rock n roll quartets.

Hard to keep up with you!

Oh and it's Dead or Alive from 1985.

ahem, ur getting completely confused. I said i disliked them then u seemed to think i liked them, all ****ing rubbish those artists, i hate them. The only thing I said which most likely made u think i like those certain artists was that i said beyonce and nelly furtado cud sing but i stated their genre they categorise themselves in is rubbish.

See here you said you haven't mentioned any group you disliked.
    ahem, ur getting completely confused. I said i disliked them then u seemed to think i liked them, all ****ing rubbish those artists, i hate them. The only thing I said which most likely made u think i like those certain artists was that i said beyonce and nelly furtado cud sing but i stated their genre they categorise themselves in is rubbish.

And here you say you hate them.

The genre you seem to be quite critical of is pop. The Beatles were one of the greatest pop acts ever. But then you love rock n roll quartets :rolleyes:

The problem i have with your posts is you change you mind every second post. And generally haven't a clue what your point is.

You had synth but think you spin me right round is a classic...

Guitars drums and bass are where it's at, yet half the people you like/dislike(which is it again) have guitars/drums bass...

To quote the west ham fans last season to Graham Poll "You don't know what you're doing..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭emurf

To quote the west ham fans last season to Graham Poll "You don't know what you're doing..."

To quote west ham fans last night to Millwall fans " No one likes you so run"

emurf wrote: »
    To quote west ham fans last night to Millwall fans " No one likes you so run"

That was millwall fans to the hammers i believe!

there u go again,lordgoat

i never said i liked dead or alive or the synth pop genre, and that's the tool ur using to state im contradicting myself. To clear this up, and this must be the fifieth time i've said this, i don't like that song 'you spin me round' or am i a fan of dead or alive, i stated it was an 80s classic to downgrade the current flo rida version which is woeful. 80s classic was simply an expression! It wud be like stating rick astley's 'never gonna give you up' was an 80s classic cos it was popular to many people,and was a hit, but i don't like it.

the beatles were a pop/rock outfit in their early years, but post-revolver they became a great rock band. Besides they deserve respect even in their poppy years cos they wrote their own songs and played their own instruments. I don't see westlife doing that.

and since ur so curious i'll giving my list of the groups i like and dislike,and please note there won't any synth pop groups in my likes!

oasis,blur,arctic monkeys,the jam,the beatles,coldplay,u2,manic street preachers,the verve,stereophonics

and my dislikes, flo rida,cascada,westlife,boyzone,beyonce,girls aloud,katy perry,jls, eoghan quigg

hope that clears a few things upwink.gif

and i don't believe westlife or jls would have guitar, bass and drums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Thinking chart music is shit and worrying about whether the music you like registers there is like finding that fat mot unattractive but moaning because she's not giving you the eye.

there u go again,lordgoat

i never said i liked dead or alive or the synth pop genre, and that's the tool ur using to state im contradicting myself. To clear this up, and this must be the fifieth time i've said this, i don't like that song 'you spin me round' or am i a fan of dead or alive, i stated it was an 80s classic to downgrade the current flo rida version which is woeful. 80s classic was simply an expression! It wud be like stating rick astley's 'never gonna give you up' was an 80s classic cos it was popular to many people,and was a hit, but i don't like it.

the beatles were a pop/rock outfit in their early years, but post-revolver they became a great rock band. Besides they deserve respect even in their poppy years cos they wrote their own songs and played their own instruments. I don't see westlife doing that.

and since ur so curious i'll giving my list of the groups i like and dislike,and please note there won't any synth pop groups in my likes!

oasis,blur,arctic monkeys,the jam,the beatles,coldplay,u2,manic street preachers,the verve,stereophonics

and my dislikes, flo rida,cascada,westlife,boyzone,beyonce,girls aloud,katy perry,jls, eoghan quigg

hope that clears a few things upwink.gif

and i don't believe westlife or jls would have guitar, bass and drums

Oh goody i do love your repies.

I love how you blatantly ignore 90% of my previous post. so i in turn shall do the same

I couldn't give a shi-te what your taste in music is, i'm more irritated by the how and what you post on here. Either way i'm done with this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Definitely not true anymore. Their new stuff certainly is not pop. Gone are the I Bet you look good on the dancefloor days!

and the majority of their fickle fanbase id say

Advertisement