Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Are the First Arts summer exams usually done by the middle of May or do they run on as far as the 27th. Just need to know if I can book a holiday or not. :)

From this 2009/10 timetable link: http://www.ucc.ie/en/registration/dates-procedures/term-dates/Updated%202009-10%20Teaching%20Dates%20_3_.pdf

It states in the grey box in the middle at the bottom of the page:
    The dates for the main written summer examinations will be from Tuesday, 4 May to Friday, 28 May; the autumn written examinations will be from Monday, 16 August to Friday, 27 August.

Any help to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Thanks electro~bitch and ReacherCreature! Looks like I'll have to postpone it.

Jesus my house is cold. Is there actually any rented accommodation in Cork that has decent central heating....because I've yet to hear of one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Jesus my house is cold. Is there actually any rented accommodation in Cork that has decent central heating....because I've yet to hear of one!

Yup, i'm ****in toasty!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I was finished on the 29th when I was in first year :(
    Fadó fadó...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Yeah, I wouldn't go booking anything if I were you. It depends entirely on your subjects/blind luck really! :) I was finished on the 19th last year(!) my friend who did two of the same subjects was not so licky and didnt finish till the very last day at like 5 in the Evening or something horrible like that! I am hoping I will be just as lucky this year, but I am not going to hold my breath. :o

Oh, my house is warm right now, but sunday night it was actually warmer in my fridge that in the actual house. I kid you not. Electric blankets all the way. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Bahhh nothing worse than ending up in the wrong class. My timetable is a little worn so thought it was a c not a b. Had those few awkward mins deciding whether to get up and have to ask everyone to move or just stick it out in a module i wasnt even doing.

I ran for the door :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

wasn't down in the Boole since they put in the new computers, I'm here now and really liking it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

wasn't down in the Boole since they put in the new computers, I'm here now and really liking it!

Its great how it takes like two mins for them to log in. Made the mistake of using the ones on the ground floor in the library today and was waiting at least 10 mins. The screens are class aswell.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Its great how it takes like two mins for them to log in. Made the mistake of using the ones on the ground floor in the library today and was waiting at least 10 mins. The screens are class aswell.

I'm never going into the library to go on the internet again. Clean forgot to ask em a question I had. Anyone know about the wireless reg, I got my laptop registered last year, but during the summer I got Vista reinstalled, I know when you re reg you only need to show your student ID, but anyone reckon I would need to bring my laptop with me cos I got the OS reinstalled? Thing is I don't want to have to lug my laptop with me 2moro if I don't need to, cos I'm not actually on campus, and I'd have to make a trip to the Boole with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

bike was robbed on western road :( bastards broke the lock,

let me know if anyone hears anyone selling something, sees the bike around? They might have just ditched it cause the back wheel is a little out of shape and no breaks atm.

giant frame, front suspension

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

Hey guys,
    Just wondering how bad the road conditions/footpath conditions are around Cork in general and around the college? Is there a lot of people missing from college these days due to the weather? I'm just wondering because I haven't been able to travel down to college this week and according to the weather looks like next week could be a struggle too.......just wondering if i'm the only one!

Hey guys,
    Just wondering how bad the road conditions/footpath conditions are around Cork in general and around the college? Is there a lot of people missing from college these days due to the weather? I'm just wondering because I haven't been able to travel down to college this week and according to the weather looks like next week could be a struggle too.......just wondering if i'm the only one!

I'd say you aren't the only one, attendance was down at my arts lecture. Main roads are ok, be careful when getting out of the car! Still quite slippery in estates etc where nothing has been done to em, the footpaths are grand, have been gritted, so are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as "too much" referencing?

I'm doing 3,000 word essay at the moment about Nazi involvement in pre-war Ireland, and 900 words in I already have 10 references. Is that too much, or am I ok?

It's just not that often that I have to use so many references, but with a little known historical thing like this, it's impossible to speak "from opinion".

Hey guys,
    Just wondering how bad the road conditions/footpath conditions are around Cork in general and around the college?

No idea about the city. I found the paths around Cork to be slippy but not as bad as I was expecting.
    Is there a lot of people missing from college these days due to the weather?

Good few people missing from one or two of my classes, the college is fairly quiet.
    I'm just wondering because I haven't been able to travel down to college this week and according to the weather looks like next week could be a struggle too.......just wondering if i'm the only one!

Just wondering, where are you living? Bad weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Nova_era wrote: »

I'm doing 3,000 word essay at the moment about Nazi involvement in pre-war Ireland, and 900 words in I already have 10 references. Is that too much, or am I ok?

It's just not that often that I have to use so many references, but with a little known historical thing like this, it's impossible to speak "from opinion".

I've never heard of too much referencing anyway. As long as the content of your essay isnt just going from one reference to another without you not adding to the discussion you should be fine. Email the lecturer and ask if you are still unsure though

Absolutely not. Reference away. 900 words and ten references? Personally I'd have many more by now. References are your best friend with eassays, reference what you write and you won't be under threat from plagiarism.

Always use plenty of them, you'll actually be slightly in the wrong if you 'under-reference'; then your sources and facts look out of place with none.

Absolutely not. Reference away. 900 words and ten references? Personally I'd have many more by now. References are your best friend with eassays, reference what you write and you won't be under threat from plagiarism.

Always use plenty of them, you'll actually be slightly in the wrong if you 'under-reference'; then your sources and facts look out of place with none.
    I've never heard of too much referencing anyway. As long as the content of your essay isnt just going from one reference to another without you not adding to the discussion you should be fine. Email the lecturer and ask if you are still unsure though

Thanks a lot guys; I was just a bit worried that I might be overdoing things, but I guess it's better to have a well researched essay featuring a lot of references, than a poorly referenced work which is trudging towards a word count restriction with irrelavent and useless information.

This is actually the longest essay I've had to write in UCC so far, and I'm half way through second year! The longest I've ever had to do was 1,500 words, so 3,000 is a bit of a change. Just a chance to talk about more things I guess. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Hey guys,
    I travelled from Cork to West Limerick tonight, and while the roads were patchy in spots, they were fine for the most part. Now i did travel on main roads for 90% of my journey, but even on the regional roads, i took it nice and easy and i had no problems. From what i can see, there is great exaggeration going on regarding the conditions of the roads. Yes some are treacherous, but the media would have you believe every regional road in the country is unpassable! If you take your time you'll be fine. The footpaths, now they ARE lethal!

I guess it's better to have a well researched essay featuring a lot of references, than a poorly referenced work which is trudging towards a word count restriction with irrelavent and useless information.

This is actually the longest essay I've had to write in UCC so far, and I'm half way through second year! The longest I've ever had to do was 1,500 words, so 3,000 is a bit of a change. Just a chance to talk about more things I guess. :)

Bit in bold, that's what you want.

The length of the essay gives you more time for using sources and talking about it. Although 5,000 words for a module this year for me is the longest ever!
    grenache wrote: »
    From what i can see, there is great exaggeration going on regarding the conditions of the roads. Yes some are treacherous, but the media would have you believe every regional road in the country is unpassable! If you take your time you'll be fine. The footpaths, now they ARE lethal!

It's the East of the country that's catching the worse of it is it? Or just Ireland in general? Ah you know the media in fairness. ;)

EDIT: Just saw this pic in the post of the day by Pangea

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63857469&postcount=1

Comparision between England and Ireland is incredible!

Does anyone know if someone else can submit an assignment on your behalf??

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if someone else can submit an assignment on your behalf??

I know with our course, we can, presume its the same for other courses?

How do you get around the assignment receipt though.....you know the part where the student submitting the work has to sign?

How do you get around the assignment receipt though.....you know the part where the student submitting the work has to sign?

Secretary signs it the sheet saying it was handed up. For the receipt, I think its just handed in as is, think the she pp's that as well. Or some people have a blank form at home and fill it in first, before giving the assignment to the person.

Cool thank you:) Assignment due Monday and looks like the weather is going make it impossible to get down to Cork again this week :(

Cool thank you:) Assignment due Monday and looks like the weather is going make it impossible to get down to Cork again this week :(

I'd say you could probably email it in, given the weather conditions they would understand.

I was wondering as well, with all primary and secondary students being told they are off until Thursday, any chance the colleges will as well? Weather is supposed to be getting worse rather than better

I really hope the colleges follow suit, seriously like there's no concessions being made for students who live a long way away from college.I''m about a four and half hour/five hour drive normally but, i cant even make it up the hill out my road at the minute. I have placements, presentation and exam next week and no way i'm going be able to make any of them :(
    (Apolgises needed the rant ;))

I really hope the colleges follow suit, seriously like there's no concessions being made for students who live a long way away from college.I''m about a four and half hour/five hour drive normally but, i cant even make it up the hill out my road at the minute. I have placements, presentation and exam next week and no way i'm going be able to make any of them :(
    (Apolgises needed the rant ;))

not a problem, know the feeling. I'm travelling up and down every day, takes about an hour to get in. I'm afraid of my life I'm going to slip again, managed to slip at home, and pulled something in my back - I have this habit of not falling, just slipping and jerking everything, don;t seem to lose my feet (touch wood!)

We were supposed to have placement next week, but because the schools are closed we are gonna lose hours. My friend who has a four hour drive to get home, went home yesterday, and decided to come back today, in case she'd get snowed in at home. She was outside Cork city when she got the phone call about the school being closed, turned around and headed for home!

Our course got seriously f**ked by the weather! First the floods destroying the Mardyke, meaning that we got moved around, out to Ballincollig and Carrigaline as well as Paul Street for practicals and tutorials. Now the cold weather has screwed with our teaching practise, so I presume we'll have to make up the hours by the end of the year, which is a bugger!

I can feel your frustration!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Came in about 20 minutes ago just to use the internet. BIG mistake. Footpaths are pretty much unwalkable, and I thought they'd have thawed more when the sun was out all day. I'm absolutely dreading walking home. :(

Came in about 20 minutes ago just to use the internet. BIG mistake. Footpaths are pretty much unwalkable, and I thought they'd have thawed more when the sun was out all day. I'm absolutely dreading walking home. :(

I came in from Frankfield (it took me 2 hours to get in, and normally takes 30 mins), and risked my neck on the footpaths, absolutely shocking condition.

Nothing has been treated, not the streets in town, Western Road, or the college itself, so you take your life into your hands going anywhere. I slipped earlier and am pretty sure I sprained my ankle, I'm limping around the place. I don't see how I'm going to get home, no busses are running, the roads are too bad to get a lift, and I live on top of a hill.

And the reason why I took so much trouble to come in, is I have a really important lecture at 4. I got a text to say it was cancelled, just as I was coming down Western Road. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ugh, that sucks. :( Perhaps you could stay at a friends house for the night? Alternatively, you should probably get yourself to A&E if your ankle gets any worse.

Advertisement