Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

grenache wrote: »
    The very film is on Film 4 now. Still hard to believe it won the Palme D'or. Some of the ''acting'' in it is highly questionable...

Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
    Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

I read somewhere that that particular exchange actually happened. :D

"Where the **** is Dev??!!"

"And who's Dev when he's at home?"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Nova_era wrote: »
    I'd go if it was Michael Collins, what a movie. :D

The Wind That Shakes The Barley is better. ;) Probably my favourite Irish film along with 'The Field' - although I'm probably missing some stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Orizio wrote: »
    - although I'm probably missing some stuff.
    Yeah, its called taste :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

The Wind that Shakes the Barley is far better than Michael Collins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Ugh...my water's gone again. :( Thank Christ for dry shampoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

The Wind That Shakes The Barley is better. ;) Probably my favourite Irish film along with 'The Field' - although I'm probably missing some stuff.

The Field is a brilliant movie :D

Can't comment on the other two though, I've never watched them properly.

I think that the Wind that shakes the Barley might be a bit serious for me, I love Michael Collins because of it's take at "Irishness", and there's some fantastic lines in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

I think that the Wind that shakes the Barley might be a bit serious for me, I love Michael Collins because of it's take at "Irishness", and there's some fantastic lines in it.

This one has always been one of my favourites.

Cathal Brugha: The Minister is as usual exceeding his brief!
    Michael Collins: And what is my brief, Cathal?
    Cathal Brugha: Intelligence.
    Michael Collins: Bull****! I'm Minister for Gun-Running, Daylight Robbery, and General Mayhem.

There is very little 'Irishness' in Michael Collins, unless you mean in the plastic paddy 'top of the morning to ya' sense. :pac:

• Advertisement

There is very little 'Irishness' in Michael Collins, unless you mean in the plastic paddy 'top of the morning to ya' sense. :pac:

That's exactly what I meant. :P

"What's that??"

"It's a sod of turf"

"What's it now??? It's a ****ing weapon!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

I went to see the Wind that Shakes the Barley with a few friends when it came out, one of who was half English.

The first thing she said to us when we came out of the film was "I know i'm half English but i've an awful urge to kill those bastards now":eek:

deisedude wrote: »
    I went to see the Wind that Shakes the Barley with a few friends when it came out, one of who was half English.

The first thing she said to us when we came out of the film was "I know i'm half English but i've an awful urge to kill those bastards now":eek:

West Cork people?

I have that urge everytime I'm in Kinsale...

West Cork people?

I have that urge everytime I'm in Kinsale...

Kinsale is hardly West Cork... Either way, down with the English

Kinsale is hardly West Cork... Either way, down with the English

Ummm...what part of Cork county is it then?:confused:

Ummm...what part of Cork county is it then?:confused:

Expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

****ty last 24 hours (and not because of Boards).

Went out last night for about 1 hour in the Bailey. Got my jacket robbed. Well, its actually my brothers. Even worse. Its worth upwards of 100 euro. And it had my mothers phone in one pocket. My phone broke on Tuesday you see. And my scarf robbed too.

So looking forward to going away for the weekend with my girlfriend to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. Supposed to be staying in my parents house in West Waterford. Alas for the snow, now the heatings ****ed and its all off. About 3 hours to scramble some ideas together to do something else.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

****ty last 24 hours (and not because of Boards).

Went out last night for about 1 hour in the Bailey. Got my jacket robbed. Well, its actually my brothers. Even worse. Its worth upwards of 100 euro. And it had my mothers phone in one pocket. My phone broke on Tuesday you see. And my scarf robbed too.

So looking forward to going away for the weekend with my girlfriend to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. Supposed to be staying in my parents house in West Waterford. Alas for the snow, now the heatings ****ed and its all off. About 3 hours to scramble some ideas together to do something else.

/rant

Ryanair + cheap flights + paris + two nights= mightnt be too bad :P

Also have been trying to change my password since boards came back up but didnt realise that i registered with the student no. version of the ucc email instead of my name
    doh

Where exactly do UCC play home GAA games? The pitch alongside the Mardyke?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Where exactly do UCC play home GAA games? The pitch alongside the Mardyke?

some are played there, some are played at the Farm, depends on the way that the pitches are! Though from what I can remember last year, they were mostly on the Mardyke pitch, open to correction though!

• Advertisement

Just sorting out my holiday plans over a bottle of Lech at the moment. Poland and Berlin in 2 weeks, Moscow and Berlin in April, and "Istanbul to Budapest" in early June.

Fingers crossed I manage to fit in some college work in the meantime. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Does anyone know where a battle re-enactment was on yesterday? I was walking out the main gate and a girl who looked a bit embaressed asked me where it was, but I had no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

@Nova Era: care to share some of the cash around?? :D

Do you travel a lot? By all accounts Istanbul is supposed to be excellent.

I was in Berlin this summer. Its a nice city. The only balls was that we were in a crap hostel in Kruezburg - utter ****hole. It made it hard to make the most of the 5 nights we were there. Usually you would meet people in the hostel but this place was dour.

Was in Budapest too. Had one of the best nights out there! In the clud til half 4. And SO cheap!

@Nova Era: care to share some of the cash around?? :D

Do you travel a lot? By all accounts Istanbul is supposed to be excellent.

I was in Berlin this summer. Its a nice city. The only balls was that we were in a crap hostel in Kruezburg - utter ****hole. It made it hard to make the most of the 5 nights we were there. Usually you would meet people in the hostel but this place was dour.

Was in Budapest too. Had one of the best nights out there! In the clud til half 4. And SO cheap!

I work on VERY small budgets!

Yeah I do travel a lot, generally at least one country a month, depending on work and college. I tend to get very cheap flights and stay in very cheap places, so it's all do-able. :) 26 countries so far, and counting! :)

Did you not like Kreuzberg??? If you're after a night out, there's few places better than Kreuzberg in Europe, absolutely insane place. I guess you have to know people to see some of the more hidden away places, but once you find them you'll be glad you did. :) Last time I was in Kreuzberg (back in November) we ended up in an Asian Karaoke bar singing Zombie by the Cranberries.. and my friend has a ****ing video of it! :(

Budapest is my favorite city in Europe by far, and the one I know better than any. :D Did you go to Szimpla when you were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Did you go to Szimpla when you were there?

Szimpla...szimpla_001.jpg

Not the nicest from the outside:p

I couldnt get over the pummel horse in the middle of the pub though:D

Szimpla...

Deadly, I don't think I've ever even seen the place in daytime! What an asylum, I remember the first time we went in there, we had to navigate bin-bags hanging from the ceiling in place of curtains. :P

The mosaic toilets upstairs are something to write home about, unbelievable!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Eh, I clicked onto the UCC forum, scrolled down to the end to the part where you can see who is online and I get a DCU ad about a career in engineering, WTF?

edit: And again when I posted this, down in that ads box to the right, was a DCU ad, "Study Engineering at DCU", argh, I'm being stalked by DCU ads about a profession I have no desire to get into!

edit 2: Ah wait, now it the Dublin Business School, would they ever bugger off to their own forums and show Cork ads here please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Might see you in Budapest in June nova :p

We could have an international UCC beers :D (A very exclusive beers of course... )

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭catiny

Anyone seen the "overheard in ucc" on face book?!

best one so far ...

" American student at the traffic lights by Vic Lodge... ''Why do the traffic lights make that beeping sound in Ireland?'' Irish fella.... ''Oh that's so that blind people can tell when when the lights change'' American... ''YOU LET BLIND PEOPLE DRIVE IN IRELAND??!!''...

• Advertisement

catiny wrote: »
    Anyone seen the "overheard in ucc" on face book?!

best one so far ...

" American student at the traffic lights by Vic Lodge... ''Why do the traffic lights make that beeping sound in Ireland?'' Irish fella.... ''Oh that's so that blind people can tell when when the lights change'' American... ''YOU LET BLIND PEOPLE DRIVE IN IRELAND??!!''...

Brilliant site, it was the UCD one that I saw first, both good for a laugh!

Advertisement