Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Gotta hit the rock climbing wall. I go jogging 3 or 4 times a week of late so some extra work on the wall would be cool.

I haven't been working out since it closed tbh! I'll be in it five days a week when it opens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

I haven't been working out since it closed tbh! I'll be in it five days a week when it opens!

I might start jogging there instead as i'm starting to get shin splints from jogging on the pavement. It's not too bad or anything but I can definitely feel a twinge for the first 5 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Rebel Girl, do give us a result of the match when you get a chance. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Orizio wrote: »
    Rebel Girl, do give us a result of the match when you get a chance. ;)

Sigerson game UCC 0-9 NUIG 1-5. Poor enough game!

Two sendings off, David O Callaghan of UCC and Cathal Kenny of NUIG, I'll do a full report when I can type - forgot the gloves so the hands are freezing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Know its been a year since I was in College properly becasue of placement, but when did the reading rooms get so damn busy!! Used to always get a table to myself, could barely find a seat this afternoon!

• Advertisement

Know its been a year since I was in College properly becasue of placement, but when did the reading rooms get so damn busy!! Used to always get a table to myself, could barely find a seat this afternoon!

The library as a whole is vry busy today for some reason!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Seems to be, and even now its doesnt show much sign of easing up! Just spent the last 20 minutes lost up in Q+3 walking around in circles never had to go up there since all my books are usually on Q+2, looked like some idiot no matter what I did I kept ending up at the same place while searching for the 400's aisles.......How I got to my final year Ill never know!

Does anyone know if UCC/LIT is on or off?

Quick question for people RE: Open Office. I'm currently finishing an essay that needs to be double spaced - is there any quick/automatic way of doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭deisedude

Orizio wrote: »
    Does anyone know if UCC/LIT is on or off?

Judging from the scoreline UCC must have thought it was off:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Never again am i walking to college in that sort of rain that we had today for a stats lecture. The soggy feeling that i had on the way to work was horrible :P

Never again am i walking to college in that sort of rain that we had today for a stats lecture. The soggy feeling that i had on the way to work was horrible :P

I had that soggy feeling on the way home at 3. Just to add to it, as soon as I went out the college road exit, some dick in a white car shouted at me to cut my hair or some other ****e. Something was also said to me and my mate the night before outside the Old Bar. The next time some preppy **** even looks wrong at me they're going to get my size 11 foot into their poncy tanned face.

I had that soggy feeling on the way home at 3. Just to add to it, as soon as I went out the college road exit, some dick in a white car shouted at me to cut my hair or some other ****e. Something was also said to me and my mate the night before outside the Old Bar. The next time some preppy **** even looks wrong at me they're going to get my size 11 foot into their poncy tanned face.

I feel your pain man. Waiting at the no.8 bus stop and some gobshítes slowed down and started beeping and shouting out get a haircut etc etc. Starting to happen pretty regularly now to be honest. Do people really have nothing better to do nowadays. Although to be fair my big toe probably has a higher IQ than these fellas :rolleyes:

I feel your pain man. Waiting at the no.8 bus stop and some gobshítes slowed down and started beeping and shouting out get a haircut etc etc. Starting to happen pretty regularly now to be honest. Do people really have nothing better to do nowadays. Although to be fair my big toe probably has a higher IQ than these fellas :rolleyes:

Probably C.I.T students.

(We all know it had to be done :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Does anyone know if the man who was killed on the south link road last a night a student?

very sad story altogether. :(

Does anyone know if the man who was killed on the south link road last a night a student?

very sad story altogether. :(

They were saying on 96fm that he was a student alright. They mentioned he was around 21 i think. Its crazy how many students UCC has lost over the last year or two.

They were saying on 96fm that he was a student alright. They mentioned he was around 21 i think. Its crazy how many students UCC has lost over the last year or two.

21 year old from Kerry, who was at the arts ball last night in Rochestown Park Hotel is what I've heard. 2 cars involved, both drivers escaped without injury.

When I was in school, we had a talk about students dying with one of out teachers, and he said something like 1 in every 10 students that he taught or knew in the school would be dead before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

A student alright:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0205/breaking10.htm

He must have been off his face to even attempt crossing the South Ring, especcially at that point. Looking at google maps theres nothing but fields on the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

Another alcohol related student death in UCC? Good to see the message is getting through anyway. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Monaleen F.C.

Nova_era wrote: »
    Another alcohol related student death in UCC? Good to see the message is getting through anyway. :/

It's a bit premature to say it was alcohol related. It may have been, but very few details have been released.

Another alcohol related death? I didn't think there were many. You do realise that Kevan, who died last RAG week, was completely sober?

• Advertisement

With respect, one would have to be in a bad state of mind to walk across the South Ring. It was during the Arts ball. One can make assumptions based on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

This isn't the place to broadcasting your assumptions...

My heart goes out to his family...

Ar Dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis

Lets leave it at that ya??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Clear_The_Decks

The bouncers removed the guy last night from the ball for some reason and he walked off and tried to cross the link....

Happened around 11:30 ish as we could see the blues flashing from the window :(

Bad news...

Lets leave it at that ya??

Fine.

However the problem with these things is that it gets so taboo that we can never ever talk about it, and the issues involved never get discussed and in ignoring history we really do doom ourselves to repeat it.

Where was the Ball actually on?

Edit: There was an email sent out at 5:00 with his name and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

It was on in the Rochestown park hotel.

And I can make all the assumptions I like tbh. I've been far from quiet about how pissed off this whole over-emphasis on drinking in UCC makes me, and again it's come to the tragic event of a student dying as it seems people obviously haven't got the message. I saw the crowds of people getting in the Arts Ball busses on South Mall yesterday, and I'd love to know just how many of those singing in the middle of the streets and running out in front of cars at 11pm, were sober.

Now I'll leave it at that. :)

A student alright:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0205/breaking10.htm

He must have been off his face to even attempt crossing the South Ring, especcially at that point. Looking at google maps theres nothing but fields on the other side.

It is a flood plain, full of mud and water, golf course is on the other side of that plain. Drove out past there today, know the area well There was no way that he should have been anywhere near there, as well as feeling for the lads family and friends, you'd have to feel for the two drivers and the bouncer that threw him out of the Arts ball. The "ifs" come into it, if the bouncer didn't throw him out, he wouldn't have gone onto the south link because he'd have been inside

Its freaky to think about how many UCC students have died, young people that shouldn't be, this time last year Kevin Malone RIP died, who was also in his third year of college, the same length of time as the deceased fella last night. I wonder if any part of R&G week will be put off as a mark of respect - is there some sort of jinx on UCC R&G week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

It's a bit premature to say it was alcohol related. It may have been, but very few details have been released.

Another alcohol related death? I didn't think there were many. You do realise that Kevan, who died last RAG week, was completely sober?
    i think Nova was more so referring to the two students that died within weeks of each other around the time of November floods.

I wonder if any part of R&G week will be put off as a mark of respect - is there some sort of jinx on UCC R&G week?

I really didnt see the point in canceling last year. Because all they canceled was the charity parts and the innocent fun. The excessive drinking still went on. So they canceled the "good", leaving only the "bad".

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/assault-probe-follows-tragic-crash-2051110.html

Gardai are now investigating if the lad was assaulted earlier in the evening, and the possibility that he may have been running from someone or was followed. He was upset leaving the function, so upset that he had made contact with a family member in Kerry.

Advertisement