Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

Thanks.

Anyone else think we should have a 2010/2011 Pimp My Society thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

HeadPig wrote: »
    Anyone else think we should have a 2010/2011 Pimp My Society thread?

Feel free to start one if you want. :) Pretty sure we had one last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

I have no society to pimp, but I'll get the ball rolling. It should be stickied IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

We did but it got locked for some reason I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Hmm so it was. Can't actually remember why it was locked. May have been a spam target at the time or something, I don't know.

• Advertisement

Leaving certificate results are out today.

Means fresh meat in a month. :pac:

I kid! Well done all and welcome to UCC if you get your courses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Leaving certificate results are out today.

Means fresh meat in a month. :pac:

I kid! Well done all and welcome to UCC if you get your courses!

Yeah.... Sure you do! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Very nice to see that the main media publications in UCC are all neatly tied up by one select group of people. That's the last time I try. Screw em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 straighttalkin

Byron85 wrote: »
    Very nice to see that the main media publications in UCC are all neatly tied up by one select group of people. That's the last time I try. Screw em.

Firstly, thats because the same people started out at the bottom, worked up the ladder, and now occupy positions which reflect both their abilities and their work ethic, such is life.

Secondly, if you spent more time working on your media skills, be it writing, presenting or whatever it is you find yourself struggling with, and less time posting crap on an internet forum, you would no doubt be involved with the "main media publications", and thus begin the journey to further yourself in said manner.

It ain't rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Which publications? Do you still contribute to Cork Student News?
    Secondly, if you spent more time working on your media skills, be it writing, presenting or whatever it is you find yourself struggling with, and less time posting crap on an internet forum...

There's someone posting crap here indeed, but it's certainly not Byron85!

• Advertisement

Firstly, thats because the same people started out at the bottom, worked up the ladder, and now occupy positions which reflect both their abilities and their work ethic, such is life.

Secondly, if you spent more time working on your media skills, be it writing, presenting or whatever it is you find yourself struggling with, and less time posting crap on an internet forum, you would no doubt be involved with the "main media publications", and thus begin the journey to further yourself in said manner.

It ain't rocket science.

The same people may have started out at the bottom but those that make it in don't seem to let others in. This is coming from my own experience and others that i've spoken to about the issue. I'm sure abilities come into it too but so does knowing people "on the inside". The Express is a perfect example of this.

Secondly, I posted a one line response/comment on an internet forum. Hardly time consuming to say the least but I do write quite a bit and have been doing so on and off since I was 18, roughly 7 years ago. Me not trying and not having the experience is nothing to do with not getting in.

I'll leave it at that but i'm entitled to be a little annoyed considering the amount of times i've tried to become involved. Nothing personal etc, but that's how it is for me.

Which publications? Do you still contribute to Cork Student News?

There's someone posting crap here indeed, but it's certainly not Byron85!

Yeah I still write regularly for CSN. I have nothing better to do. ;) I love it in fairness and the site gets a lot of hits. Plus Daniel is fairly on the ball and is a good guy.

And there you go again with the niceties. Maybe we should just get it over with and go on a date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Yeah I still write regularly for CSN. I have nothing better to do. ;) I love it in fairness and the site gets a lot of hits. Plus Daniel is fairly on the ball and is a good guy.

And there you go again with the niceties. Maybe we should just get it over with and go on a date?

Oh jesus...another boards romance :P

Oh jesus...another boards romance :P

What can I say, i'm a catch. ;)

Well, if you're paying. :p

Well, if you're paying. :p

Not a chance. :D

4 weeks, WAHEY! :cool:

This wait is driving me demented. Too long of a holiday.

Thats for sure!! there is only so much of the county Limerick countryside that I can tolerate! :D

I've done an awful lot of reading so it hasn't been too bad!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

3 weeks to go for me. Heading up on Thursday to collect some of last year's work. Looking forward to getting back!

I've done an awful lot of reading so it hasn't been too bad!

Anything interesting? Sociology stuff?

Anything interesting? Sociology stuff?

Loads of stuff. Nazis, sci-fi, politics, Israel/Palestine stuff. Off the top of my head i've read 9 books since the start of April which isn't bad going at all although I wish it was a lot more.

Indeed, I've read 17 since the beginning of April (6 during the study month :confused:), as well as bits and pieces from various history books. Mostly fiction, so probably a little easier than non-fiction (and usually shorter). But I still wish it were more! Too much time wasted on boards! :D

Indeed, I've read 17 since the beginning of April (6 during the study month :confused:), as well as bits and pieces from various history books. Mostly fiction, so probably a little easier than non-fiction (and usually shorter). But I still wish it were more! Too much time wasted on boards! :D

Yeah, non-fiction is a lot easier to read. I've only read 4 non-fiction. Everything else was all history/sociology based,apart from the new Dawkins book, so they're filled with names, dates etc. Nonetheless, you've still put my reading to shame. :(

Yeah I've read a good few too but nearly all non-fiction, taking a break from the type of books during the year that I was reading!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I ended up doing a lot of reading, mostly fiction. My problem is that I sit down with a book, and read it cover to cover in about two or three hours, then I might not have another one to read, so I don't end up reading another book for another three or four days. Started one Chris Ryan book at 11am and had it finished by 1.30pm the same day, couple of hundred pages, great book though! All of his books are kinda of based on the SAS and army life, with historical relevance since that was his background. Read a couple of good thrillers as well, one fantastic one that was quite long that I managed to make last for a day and a half, can't think of the title, but it had you guessing till nearly the end, I had it worked out because of one or two clues, but there were a few other things that could throw you in guessing who the killer was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

2 weeks and 6 days til I can move back to Cork. Can't bloody wait! :D

When everybody gets their timetable we'll have to sort out a boards meet-up, think we'll change the name from last years coffee morning, cos I recall that very few of us actually had coffee!!! It would be great to get a good group of us around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

When everybody gets their timetable we'll have to sort out a boards meet-up, think we'll change the name from last years coffee morning, cos I recall that very few of us actually had coffee!!! It would be great to get a good group of us around!

I will probably show up to one of these this year. They were always on at awkward times for me last year, so will definatly make the effort this year to meet a bunch of strangers off the internet :).

Advertisement