Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

I got a text this morning saying that Alexei Pokrovskii (Head of the Applied Maths Department) passed away yesterday. Can anyone confirm if this is true? I got no email about it.

It's awful news if it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    Your town? I live in Clonmel too as does he. It's a ****hole.

I live there too. I don't know if I'd call them "gritty streets". It's hardly the Bronx like. :p "Bubblegum-covered streets" might have been more apt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Did they have gritty streets back in our grandfathers day Dessie?

Shut up you ****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    Your town? I live in Clonmel too as does he. It's a ****hole.

I don't own the town.

In all fairness it's not the worst. Fair enough, it has its bad times as do most towns but wouldn't call it the "gritty streets" that's a dreadfully poor statement. If 20,000 odd students read that they'd think it's desperate.

Completely disagree with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I got a text this morning saying that Alexei Pokrovskii (Head of the Applied Maths Department) passed away yesterday. Can anyone confirm if this is true? I got no email about it.

Damn, I really hope that's not true. He's a great lecturer; a character and an absolute gentleman. :(
    Did they have gritty streets back in our grandfathers day Dessie?

Shut up you ****

Please don't address staff writers of the Express in an abusive manner. It's a college publication and their staff are students here, and personal abuse towards any student is not appropriate.

I'm sure those of you unhappy with the guy's Clonmel remarks can write to the Express and complain: you may even get printed! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

I don't own the town.

In all fairness it's not the worst. Fair enough, it has its bad times as do most towns but wouldn't call it the "gritty streets" that's a dreadfully poor statement. If 20,000 odd students read that they'd think it's desperate.

I disagree too but I'd say most people would just laugh at that statement. Most people think of a greyhound racing and Bulmers when you mention Clonmel not "gritty streets" and crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

Byron85 wrote: »
    "...and continue being entertained by the fact there are condoms in the bag this comes in."

And if there aren't I'm going to be very disappointed... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭deisedude

Anyone else unable to register?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mister K

I don't own the town.

Clonmel's a dive. The whole centre of the town has gone down the tubes.

Dr. Whelan of the Politics department passed away too during the Summer and no email was sent around to say this. Why not, I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

Yes it's true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Yeah, he died last Tuesday evening, as far as I know. A real tragedy. I was supposed to have him for an AM module in a few weeks. He was so passionate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Yeah, he died last Tuesday evening, as far as I know. A real tragedy. I was supposed to have him for an AM module in a few weeks. He was so passionate.

:( awful news. He was a great lecturer and a true gentleman. R.I.P. Alexei. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Yeah, very. I'll be honest, even though I only had him for half of my first year (just gone by), I was still quite down about it on Wednesday after I heard. He was just so positive and passionate; you want to be good at maths just so you won't disappoint him! And I was looking forward to having him in a few weeks.

So it goes, I suppose. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

That's such terrible news... Alexei was such a wonderful, friendly, animated man. His lectures were so playful, you could really feel his enthusiasm for control theory and chaos, and he would always help a student out if they had questions. He was hilarious, and everybody loved him from the moment he began discussing "faoxes and raybits" in his broad Russian accent. One of the most exceptionally lovely people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. :)

My last lecture with him was one of the best ones ever. He wanted to demonstrate the subtle difficulties involved in controlling an unstable equilibrium, so he brought in an umbrella and started balancing it on his open palm. He even tried it with his eyes closed, and got other people to give it a go. He also spent a good bit of the lecture hopping about on one foot, and suggested that he wouldn't be able to keep his balance quite so well after finishing off a "baskets of the fine Russian vodkas!" :p

I'll miss that amazing, lovely man. R.I.P. Alexei.

He died of a heart attack, apparently.

RIP Alexei. He'll be badly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Never even had him as a lecturer but had heard so many stories and great things about him i actually felt quite sad when i heard he had died. And even judging just by the comments here he obviously impressed all his students.

R.I.P Alexi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I never really had any dealings with him personally, but I heard so many good things. I know him to see around the building too. It's a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I had Alexei in first year for mathematical modelling. great guy, loved teaching, full of enthusiasm and really tried to help students as much as he could. I miss the guy.

Spent a few hours yesterday moving freshers packs with the SU. I'll tell you onething, they ain't half as good as they were in the old days when i was a fresher. No chocolate, no soup, no noodles, no drink of any description:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

I should really work out my timetable. Maybe later.

deisedude wrote: »
    Spent a few hours yesterday moving freshers packs with the SU. I'll tell you onething, they ain't half as good as they were in the old days when i was a fresher. No chocolate, no soup, no noodles, no drink of any description:(

Whaaaaat? I was a fresher only last year and I'm certain we had all those things. Hate to be a first year!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

You could nearly live for a few weeks off the old Fresher's packs. I knew a few people that even got CDs in their packs :p

Whaaaaat? I was a fresher only last year and I'm certain we had all those things. Hate to be a first year!:p

Yep, i'll be cliched and blame the recession for the drop in quality of fresher packs.

Quick question Mr. Cranium shall you be leaving Lemonworld to go to the Olympia December 2nd?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Anything half decent at all in them?

Anything half decent at all in them?
    Map, bottle opener, pen, condoms. The rest went in the bin :p

UnionOfV wrote: »
    Map, bottle opener, pen, condoms. The rest went in the bin :p

Sim card, Hotpress and Four Star vouchers too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Second year registration is open today, a few days earlier than planned.

Third year reg. open too.

• Advertisement

Sim card, Hotpress and Four Star vouchers too
    The vouchers had good discounts, but who wants 50% off a €22 pizza?

Advertisement