Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭deisedude

UnionOfV wrote: »
    The vouchers had good discounts, but who wants 50% off a €22 pizza?

To be honest i didnt even look at the voucher, just saw it was Four star. I'm sure plenty of people in a semi-inebriated state may take advantage of that offer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

deisedude wrote: »
    Quick question Mr. Cranium shall you be leaving Lemonworld to go to the Olympia December 2nd?:D

Hopefully. Yes. Probably. Come Hell or high water. Absolutely.
    At the moment I'm pestering other people until they say they'll go, and looking for a (friend of a?) friend's floor to sleep on in Dublin that night, so there's a little bit of uncertainty still. I think I'll still buy a ticket for myself on Friday anyway.

On that note, where CAN I actually buy one? HMV? I could do it online I suppose, but I don't really like buying stuff over the internet.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

So i've worked out my timetable for second year and I only have nine hours of lectures? Sweet. Obviously tutorials will come later. For now though, good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Byron85 wrote: »
    So i've worked out my timetable for second year and I only have nine hours of lectures? Sweet. Obviously tutorials will come later. For now though, good times.

The boredom for me sometimes was immense if I only had two classes a day or something.

Could change in semester #2 though - hours wise.

The boredom for me sometimes was immense if I only had two classes a day or something.

Could change in semester #2 though - hours wise.

Yeah it goes up by like an hour or two. I have my whole timetable for both semesters written out in a spreadsheet. Tis the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Yeah it goes up by like an hour or two. I have my whole timetable for both semesters written out in a spreadsheet. Tis the job!

Class. You should be fairly grand so, sail through those essays. ;)

What subjects are they?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Third year reg. open too.

Mine still isn't open yet :rolleyes:

Its grand out like that - we get ours sent out by email, but we've to double check our where our arts stuff is, because all the available arts modules are put into it.

Class. You should be fairly grand so, sail through those essays. ;)

What subjects are they?

Sociology as my major and Psychology as my minor. My modules for Sociology are:

SC2001 Foundation in Sociological Theory
    SC2002 Research Project 1
    SC2003 Social Structure, Inequality and Stratification I
    SC2004 Political Sociology
    SC2010 Sociology of Deviance
    SC2012 Race, Ethnicity, Migration and Nationalism
    SC2019 Economic Sociology
    SC2027 Sociology of Health and Illness I: Theoretical Foundations

For Psychology my modules are:

AP2001 Cognition and Culture
    AP2008 Perception and Memory
    AP2002 The Psychology of Organising
    AP2010 Individual Differences

There was a clash on my timetable so I had to take The Psychology of Organising module instead of another one that I wanted to take. My choice for Sociology won out!

Hopefully. Yes. Probably. Come Hell or high water. Absolutely.
    At the moment I'm pestering other people until they say they'll go, and looking for a (friend of a?) friend's floor to sleep on in Dublin that night, so there's a little bit of uncertainty still. I think I'll still buy a ticket for myself on Friday anyway.

On that note, where CAN I actually buy one? HMV? I could do it online I suppose, but I don't really like buying stuff over the internet.:o

Ticketmaster in Merchants quay will have tickets for it. I'm kind of holding out that they will announce the 3rd too as a gig. As far as i'm aware the olympia is free that night

According to the Gigs and Events forum, it's very likely that another couple of dates will be added as soon as the 2nd sells out. I'd rather not wait and take the risk though. It would mean that I'd be able to see them with an equally fanatical friend of mine, but I'd rather have the ticket securely in my hands asap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭flynny51

I got a text this morning saying that Alexei Pokrovskii (Head of the Applied Maths Department) passed away yesterday. Can anyone confirm if this is true? I got no email about it.

It's awful news if it is true.

Just heard about that tonight. Very sad news. Met him a few times this year and he came across as a lovely man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

Feeling ridiculously old around college at the moment with all the fresh new faces! :eek: I'm one of those unfortunates in the final stages of writing my thesis holed up in the library. Yuck! Sad though, after 4 years I don't want to leave UCC yet!!! :(

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't started 2nd year yet and I feel ridiculously old next to them too. I'm trying to replace that feeling with one of condescension and smug superiority, but I just don't have it in me!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't started 2nd year yet and I feel ridiculously old next to them too. I'm trying to replace that feeling with one of condescension and smug superiority, but I just don't have it in me!:pac:

Awh no that doesn't make me feel any better! I'm jealous of the years ahead of you too! College goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast. Make the most of it kids!
    I'll still be hanging around the library though, pretending to be an undergrad, and trying to write up a phd proposal. Roll on 4 more years! :)

Hanging around the library too much in 1st year is what's making me feel old now:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

For Psychology my modules are:

[/COLOR]AP2001 Cognition and Culture

Oh you'll regret that.

Anyone having trouble registering? It will not let me do it, even though it was supposed to open today (I think. Bloody UCC website is so confusing!).

Ticketmaster in Merchants quay will have tickets for it. I'm kind of holding out that they will announce the 3rd too as a gig. As far as i'm aware the olympia is free that night

I don't know when or if the Saturday gig was announced, but it was sold out (along with Thursday and Friday) within an hour and 45 minutes. I shouldn't have hit the snooze button this morning :(

I don't know when or if the Saturday gig was announced, but it was sold out (along with Thursday and Friday) within an hour and 45 minutes. I shouldn't have hit the snooze button this morning :(

I managed to get one for the Friday. Pure good luck i woke in time, forgot to set the alarm

Faith wrote: »
    Oh you'll regret that.

Anyone having trouble registering? It will not let me do it, even though it was supposed to open today (I think. Bloody UCC website is so confusing!).

I can't register either but thats because i did a study abroad last year. Would have been nice if UCC administration could have told us beforehand rather than me having to go into them and ask why i couldn't register

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

WTF? Half my modules choices have disappeared from the book of modules. I know they were there last month cause I printed out the now missing module descriptions then, but the are gone now :confused:.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I can't register either but thats because i did a study abroad last year. Would have been nice if UCC administration could have told us beforehand rather than me having to go into them and ask why i couldn't register

I haven't been abroad or anything. Haven't gotten any emails about registering either. Or any kind of info. Fecks sake, it's my final year and I need to know my timetable and choose my electives!

Turns out I don't have any module choices this year. Seems the elec eng department have changed the course layout for third years this year and failed to let me know they did. Almost freaked out when I tried to registor and saw that all the modules were pre-selected for me. Had to do a bit of research to see why. A simple email would have been real helpful :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

Turns out I don't have any module choices this year. Seems the elec eng department have changed the course layout for third years this year and failed to let me know they did. Almost freaked out when I tried to registor and saw that all the modules were pre-selected for me. Had to do a bit of research to see why. A simple email would have been real helpful :mad:.

Any idea what the rationale behind this is? I find it a bit odd that such a varied course should keep students on rails module-wise for most of college...

UnionOfV wrote: »
    Any idea what the rationale behind this is? I find it a bit odd that such a varied course should keep students on rails module-wise for most of college...

I think that it might have to do with the fact that we are the first year to have to share facilities and modules with energy engineers and because they would have had to have done some of our choices, I think they just restuctured our course so that both courses would be very similar.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I survived the ORB!! Managed not to get lost at all! First day back, 11-1, 9-1 tomorrow!

So if anyone needs a guide during the year, I'll volunteer! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

So if anyone needs a guide during the year, I'll volunteer! :D

You'll be more helpful as Search & Rescue methinks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I survived the ORB!!

Graduated Friday and really wanted a photo of me giving that building a middle finger...too many people standing outside it though and being the crowd pleaser I am I came away with one photo less from a day of bloody photos :(

I'll get it though....someday!

In other building related news, the Western Gateway Building has carpets on the ground floor again, for the first time since November. It's a much more pleasant place now, even though it's part building site for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

In other building related news, the Western Gateway Building has carpets on the ground floor again, for the first time since November. It's a much more pleasant place now, even though it's part building site for some reason.

I know other faculties needed the building more but I was bulling BIS wasn't moved there cos I was living in Vic Mills....still maintain it's the reason I didn't manage a decent grade! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Nice, I'll be out there a lot more this year because of Maths Studies. :D

It's a shame the building got hit with the floods, as it a damn nice building to look at.

Advertisement