Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Tombiman wrote: »
    Nice, I'll be out there a lot more this year because of Maths Studies. :D

It's a shame the building got hit with the floods, as it a damn nice building to look at.

It reminds of a shopping centre everytime i walk in there.Still really nice though:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

PaulieC wrote: »
    Graduated Friday and really wanted a photo of me giving that building a middle finger...too many people standing outside it though and being the crowd pleaser I am I came away with one photo less from a day of bloody photos :(

I'll get it though....someday!

I'm around all week, quiet enough if you want that picture!
    In other building related news, the Western Gateway Building has carpets on the ground floor again, for the first time since November. It's a much more pleasant place now, even though it's part building site for some reason.

Nice that the carpet is back :D It did look bear without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

and soon they should reopen the shop and have a proper canteen service.
    it's been crap all summer - 10-2 only, and no hot food! (initially)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tammyme

Hey guys,

Anyone have a rough idea when tutorial times come out?
    I'm in at 9 on a tuesday and then have a 5 hour gap before next lecture so i was hoping to slot some in there! also do the tutorial times say the same for both semesters?

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

Anyone know what date 2nd year History module registration is? I lost the letter. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

tammyme wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Anyone have a rough idea when tutorial times come out?
    I'm in at 9 on a tuesday and then have a 5 hour gap before next lecture so i was hoping to slot some in there! also do the tutorial times say the same for both semesters?

Thank you!

You'll be notified by the department or lecturers to sign up. Sometime in the next month I assume. You'll have the opportunity to allocate one to your time.

I'm fairly sure they stay the same through both semesters. What course are you doing?

Crosswalk wrote: »
    Anyone know what date 2nd year History module registration is? I lost the letter. :(

Registering online? You're 4 days late according to this

Go register now!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

Registering online? You're 4 days late according to this

Go register now!

Oh no, I've done that. :) Sorry, I meant the optional history modules. I thought that we had to queue and physically sign up for our optional modules. My bad, I should have phrased my question better. :p

Crosswalk wrote: »
    Oh no, I've done that. :) Sorry, I meant the optional history modules. I thought that we had to queue and physically sign up for our optional modules. My bad, I should have phrased my question better. :p

You've picked your options. I think it's signing up for Seminars that people have to do. The first History lecture will deal with this I've heard - they'll hand out sheets to select your seminars.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I hate 9am starts! Feel so old seeing all the first years around at their inductions!

• Advertisement

You'll be notified by the department or lecturers to sign up. Sometime in the next month I assume. You'll have the opportunity to allocate one to your time.

I'm fairly sure they stay the same through both semesters. What course are you doing?

Thank you! i'm starting social science. next semester i have 3 lectures on the tuesday morning so i don't want to have them clash then! guess i'll use the time next tuesday to get my laptop registered and all that and after that . . . . .study......maybe :rolleyes:

I hate 9am starts! Feel so old seeing all the first years around at their inductions!

lol, try being a 23yr old first year! :eek: some of the people in my class look about 12 and the mature students seem to all be over 40 at least!! (i'm not a mature student)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

lol, try being a 23yr old first year!

try working here :)

deRanged wrote: »
    try working here :)

ah but the beauty of that is you get to think 'mwah ha ha, i'm getting paid to be here!!':D :P

lol, try being a 23yr old first year! :eek: some of the people in my class look about 12 and the mature students seem to all be over 40 at least!! (i'm not a mature student)

Stuck in the middle!!!
    ah but the beauty of that is you get to think 'mwah ha ha, i'm getting paid to be here!!':D :P

Good point - wouldn't mind it at all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Orientation was an experience anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Kersmash wrote: »
    Orientation was an experience anyway...

Good? Bad?!

I've mine on Friday..

Well i got about 3 hours sleep, so that wasn't so well. I'd to wait outside a mentors office for 3 hours, only for him to tell me crap i already knew about. It was ok I guess, got registered, free stuff, good lecture about CS. I was just tired and hungry and in a bad mood!

Well i got about 3 hours sleep, so that wasn't so well. I'd to wait outside a mentors office for 3 hours, only for him to tell me crap i already knew about. It was ok I guess, got registered, free stuff, good lecture about CS. I was just tired and hungry and in a bad mood!

So you now know the superstitions of UCC!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Hey UCC i would be oh so happy if you informed me if im actually going back to college this year or what and maybe allowing me to register.........thanks.

Told we could register after the 10th and we still can't and have heard nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hey UCC i would be oh so happy if you informed me if im actually going back to college this year or what and maybe allowing me to register.........thanks.

Told we could register after the 10th and we still can't and have heard nothing.

The administration in UCC is a disgrace. So sick of the amount of times i have had to email and enquire about stuff this year because they cant be arsed notifying me with a simple email

deisedude wrote: »
    The administration in UCC is a disgrace. So sick of the amount of times i have had to email and enquire about stuff this year because they cant be arsed notifying me with a simple email

Yeah registered 2 weeks ago id say almost and still dont no if i got my options really annoying me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Yeah exactly. Fair enough i know they have to sort out stuff for about 20,000 students but for the sake of 2 mins and typing a very quick email and sending it off to my classes list it would quash quite a few nerves. Some of the people in my class have been freaking out because others have already went back and have started classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

deisedude wrote: »

Totally agree with this. My department decided to drop two modules this year, meaning that all our modules are pre-assigned. A quick email would have really helped, but instead they let us panic when trying to pick our modules during registration. Thanks for that. Now stuck doing a module that I really didn't want to do, bt that is a whole different rant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 O.P.

Hi all. I'm a repeat 1st year who did Chemical Science (option 3) last year but unfortunately failed PY1053 and MA1054. I was thinking about taking on another module in Physics or Math or Computing. Would anyone recommend anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

O.P. wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm a repeat 1st year who did Chemical Science (option 3) last year but unfortunately failed PY1053 and MA1054. I was thinking about taking on another module in Physics or Math or Computing. Would anyone recommend anything?

I failed those exact two as well! Though I'm maths science... Do you know what options you have? Or do you mean an extra module just as something to do?

I've been looking at electives myself, though that's because I refuse to go through PY1053 again. Ew. So I was thinking of doing the cs electives that we have. There's programming in c, a web design module and another one too, I can't remember the name.

What maths/applied maths modules did you take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 O.P.

At least it's nice to know it's not just me! I'll be repeating PY1053 because I want to go into physics next year.

I talked to John McInerney yesterday and he was nice but frim. He said I can opt in to just doing the exam in May and he won't kick me out of the class and only pay for the exam. That was cool of him but he also said that I should be reconsidering my choice in course for second year if I failed first year physics. :eek: Told me to head over to the Math department and do a Math Science module! Went over to the Math department but it's still a little disjointed since Alexi passed.

There are no prerequisites for first year physics so if there is a module you want to do, register for it and pay for it. I'll probability register for it anyway and get extra credit where I can.

I did AM1052 & AM1053. Grand topics.

I did C++ before so I was inclined to go for something like that. Also Special Topics PY1054 to fill up the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kingstapler

Totally agree with this. My department decided to drop two modules this year, meaning that all our modules are pre-assigned. A quick email would have really helped, but instead they let us panic when trying to pick our modules during registration. Thanks for that. Now stuck doing a module that I really didn't want to do, bt that is a whole different rant...

Your right. They should at least have enough decency to let people know whats going on. Communication costs nothing with email.

Can anyone tell me if you can get student discounts on buying laptops through UCC? I'm sure I heard you could but I can't find no sauce :( Also, if anyone could reccomend a reasonably priced laptop for a first year CS student that'd be great! Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

Can anyone tell me if you can get student discounts on buying laptops through UCC? I'm sure I heard you could but I can't find no sauce :( Also, if anyone could reccomend a reasonably priced laptop for a first year CS student that'd be great! Cheers!

http://www.ucc.ie/en/sit/laptop/

All you need to know is there :)

Advertisement