Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

But outside of 8 and 6, most of the traffic would be gone so the internet wouldn't be under that much of a struggle as it would during the day ya know? I get a lot of people have to work after hours etc, but a good bit of the traffic will have died down so it's not that slow etc.

A lot of it is f*ckers playing games aswell which drives me nuts. Apparently it was brought up at the Student Union meeting tonight why the Network was so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

i think those living on campus accomadation should get certain exemptions considering its the only access to the internet they have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

A lot of it is f*ckers playing games aswell which drives me nuts. Apparently it was brought up at the Student Union meeting tonight why the Network was so bad.

Games...? As in addictinggames.com sorta games?

About time, it's awful!

Games...? As in addictinggames.com sorta games?

About time, it's awful!

Well, ya, those, but really games more along the lines of minecraft...

People play those games in the basement? :eek: What the absolute fack?! Thats ridiculous! Can people not wait till they get home before they play it? The network is bad enough at it is without people playing those kinda games on it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I'm surprised games like that even run on those computers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I don't game but would like to point out that any games that are played aren't the cause of the poor internet speeds.

In the CS dept we've a gigabit LAN 1000mbits (1024000 kbits) with a quick bit of googling the games played in labs average 10-20kbit/s, so there's 10 people playing that's 200kbits, say maybe there's 5 games happening at any one point, that's 1000kbits which is a tiny amount of data, plus it's only local so not affecting the fibre links to Dublin.

Now instead, look at the data for one youtube user watching in HQ(480p)
    900 kbits. A lot more people on campus use youtube than game, say there's 100 at any one time. (90,000kbps) one tenth of the network capacity, and if they're watching full screen chances are it's in 720p and it's a lot higher than that.

Yes games aren't helping the poor speeds but they certainly aren't the sole cause and far from it.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I don't game but would like to point out that any games that are played aren't the cause of the poor internet speeds.

In the CS dept we've a gigabit LAN 1000mbits (1024000 kbits) with a quick bit of googling the games played in labs average 10-20kbit/s, so there's 10 people playing that's 200kbits, say maybe there's 5 games happening at any one point, that's 1000kbits which is a tiny amount of data, plus it's only local so not affecting the fibre links to Dublin.

Now instead, look at the data for one youtube user watching in HQ(480p)
    900 kbits. A lot more people on campus use youtube than game, say there's 100 at any one time. (90,000kbps) one tenth of the network capacity, and if they're watching full screen chances are it's in 720p and it's a lot higher than that.

Yes games aren't helping the poor speeds but they certainly aren't the sole cause and far from it.

but you can block youtube because its used in alot of lectures, especially music where the music videos are really handy.

shane9689 wrote: »
    but you can block youtube because its used in alot of lectures, especially music where the music videos are really handy.

I know, I'm not saying it should.

But people here complaining about TV sites getting blocked and then whinging about gamers making the internet slow are hypocritical to say the least.

I'm sure most people(myself included) watch loads of 'pointless' youtube videos each day which isn't helping the situation.

To be honest the easiest solution would just be to get more fibre links and to stop the finger pointing game. It's probably so bad this year cause less students are in a position to pay for an internet connection at home and instead spend more time in college browsing/watching stuff online.

I know, I'm not saying it should.

But people here complaining about TV sites getting blocked and then whinging about gamers making the internet slow are hypocritical to say the least.

I'm sure most people(myself included) watch loads of 'pointless' youtube videos each day which isn't helping the situation.

To be honest the easiest solution would just be to get more fibre links and to stop the finger pointing game. It's probably so bad this year cause less students are in a position to pay for an internet connection at home and instead spend more time in college browsing/watching stuff online.

I live in University Hall. My only internet is the campus wifi. So I'm whinging for a reason.

• Advertisement

I live in University Hall. My only internet is the campus wifi. So I'm whinging for a reason.

Oh that's kinda crap. Surely it's OK at night?

Oh that's kinda crap. Surely it's OK at night?

Nope, still slow, everything's blocked and it keeps going dead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Anyone use the counselors before as i'm divided on if I want to use the college ones? Been meaning to arrange it for a good bit now but I keep putting it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Anyone use the counselors before as i'm divided on if I want to use the college ones? Been meaning to arrange it for a good bit now but I keep putting it off.

Yes and they are excellent.Do it

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Did anybody hear the full story as to why The Express was printed and then not distributed, because they were afraid of being sued by Cubins? Apparently the article was with the President of the SU about why Cubins were no longer the official nightclub of UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Cian92 wrote: »
    Did anybody hear the full story as to why The Express was printed and then not distributed, because they were afraid of being sued by Cubins? Apparently the article was with the President of the SU about why Cubins were no longer the official nightclub of UCC.

So that's the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Byron85 wrote: »
    So that's the reason?

Yep,what I'm hearing is that during freshers week Cubins were meant to donate x amount of money for every student that passes through their doors but were understating the amount of students who passed through their doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

You can setup Umail on your phone now if anyone is interested in doing so. :D
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/sit/faq/faqumail/#q13

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I've got my master's degree! My time in UCC is finished. Bittersweet, glad to be finished my education but sad to leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Ehrmantraut

Listen lads, I've a question.

This is the deal: I'm going to a social but the dress code is the same as an 'afters' of a ball - can anyone be more specific?

Like I don't know if it involves wearing a plain white shirt with trousers, a striped shirt and tie with trousers, a shirt and tie without trousers.. I just don't know.

HELP ME please. I will be grateful and could well be open to some sleazy thanks-giving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

UCC Bombers Aussie Rules are doing a BIG FAT Sports Quiz after term. Great excuse to meet back up with yer buddies, eat some free food and win some prizes!! :D

271141_10151139875342827_523453229_n.jpg?oh=dd2aebcf6e4d5bba06097c8b2767572c&oe=50D53EDF&__gda__=1356219543_27df9176639a859b0e9420b5116310f3

Wait, UCC have an Aussie Rules team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Wait, UCC have an Aussie Rules team?

Yep! :) Train every Wednesday evening at 6 down in the Farm. Plans to take on an overseas University before the end of the year :)

https://www.facebook.com/UccAustralianRulesFootballClub?ref=ts&fref=ts

What dates are rag week?

Some mad chats going on in here recently :P

Place went downhill when I finished my studies here. :pac:

so broke, do many students get jobs (as in any sort of work at all) in cork at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

shane9689 wrote: »
    so broke, do many students get jobs (as in any sort of work at all) in cork at the moment?

Have you handed out any CVs or filled in any application forms? I don't think anywhere will be hiring at the moment, but it wouldn't hurt to try!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Place went downhill when I finished my studies here. :pac:

It was going down since I left!!

It was going down since I left!!

Steal my joke why don't ya!

• Advertisement

but its not really a joke :l

Advertisement