Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyprus vs. Republic of Ireland - 05/09/09 [mod warning post #293]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I had to laugh hearing about the FAI/seating shambles. I bet Keano was laughing too when he heard it. Epic FAIl.

Anyway as far as the game goes I'm happy Hunt is starting. Duff or McGeady is a tough call but I think Duff's experience gives him the edge so I'm happy to see him start. Looks a solid team besides the centre of the park which does worry me.

I'm quietly optimistic about this one. I just hope we don't approach it too conservatively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Sigh we will never acheive anything with a centre midfield pairing that weak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Aiden McGeady off the bench is an exellent option against tired Cyprus defenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Aiden McGeady off the bench is an exellent option against tired Cyprus defenders.

Agree. Plus Hunt deserves his start.

I'm just wondering how much longer Duffer will have the place for.

Very little from him last season. Very little recently in an Irish shirt bar one excellent assist for Robbie a few games back.

If he doesn't contribute that much at Fulham, I'd imagine that he'll get benched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I agree, good point.

C'mon Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Soby wrote: »
    Sigh we will never acheive anything with a centre midfield pairing that weak
    At the moment all we have to worry about is achieving a win in Cyprus. That won't be the midfield playing in the world cup if we hopefully get there.

As for Duff, he's done well under Trap imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Just found out Marc Wilson of Portsmouth is Irish. I know he's far from world class, but seriously I can't see far better options at right back for him not to be in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

gosplan wrote: »
    Agree. Plus Hunt deserves his start.

I'm just wondering how much longer Duffer will have the place for.

Very little from him last season. Very little recently in an Irish shirt bar one excellent assist for Robbie a few games back.

If he doesn't contribute that much at Fulham, I'd imagine that he'll get benched.

Actually, he has been one of the better performers in a green jersey this campaign.

The workrate and free kicks he earned single handedly were an immense help in Sofia when the Bulgarians were all over us.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Just found out Marc Wilson of Portsmouth is Irish. I know he's far from world class, but seriously I can't see far better options at right back for him not to be in the squad.

I think Gio has his squad set for this campaign.

I reckon when it comes around to start the next set of qualifiers we will see a re-vamped squad with the younger set of premiership players coming through.

Thats why Clinton Morrisson isnt being selected over Best and Long, he wants those 2 in the squad over the next 10 years and they will need experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hows Willo Flood going for celtic

I thought he did a great job when he came on against arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Brian O'Driscoll would be focking outraged like.

And rightly so, being the best irish sportsman of all time.

Don't see how his accent would come into it, or do all soccer forum posters talk like "dis"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Headshot wrote: »
    hows Willo Flood going for celtic

I thought he did a great job when he came on against arsenal

Willo Flood is a super little player, he played some really nice football for city when he would get a game:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

only1stevo wrote: »

Don't see how his accent would come into it, or do all soccer forum posters talk like "dis"?

WRONG. That'd be Roy Keane.

I'm very nervous about tomorrow, but I think that Ireland will win. It'll be one goal job, then backs to the wall. Normally I'd never usually predict Ireland to win, but what the hey, being positive can't hurt for once.

Ireland 1 - 0 Cyprus
    (Keane '37)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

If the team posted above is accurate is pretty much what we'd expect.
    Hunt deserves his place, started season well for Hull..and is better defensively for away games than McGeady.
    McGeady is a great sub to have, to run at a tiring defence.

Big worry for me is Kilbane at LB :( He is and never was really a defender. Cost us big time in Sofia..and i am terrified it will happen again.
    Such a pity Finnan wasn't fit..him at rb and O'Shea at lb would have been far more reliable.

I reckon 1-1. We take an early lead, then as so often end up sitting back and get caught in 2nd half.

The optimist in me says 1-0 win, but realist says 1-1.

Tyranax wrote: »
    WRONG. That'd be Roy Keane.

Not imo. Harrington would be second followed by keane.

I love keane and support him in the Saipan incident but he has never been considered close to one of the best players of all time whereas O'Driscol has been.

I don't like dragging this off topic, but I think that Roy Keane would be considered one of the best Irish players of all time.

Just say tomorrow if Ireland go a goal behind (gulp) what do people think the reaction would be? I know that we responded well against Italy, but would Ireland react differently because of who the opposition are?

Tyranax wrote: »
    I don't like dragging this off topic, but I think that Roy Keane would be considered one of the best Irish players of all time.

Without doubt one of the best irish players of all time, Drico would be considered one of the best world players of all time however..

Back on topic, with such an average squad playing away from home and the lack of business class seats.. ill go for 1-3, keane, dunne and hunt.

Without doubt one of the best irish players of all time, Drico would be considered one of the best world players of all time however..

Back on topic, with such an average squad playing away from home and the lack of business class seats.. ill go for 1-3, keane, dunne and hunt.

Can I have a spot on the plane where I can actually stretch my f***ing legs this time?!? I am the f***ing captain after all, scored tonight. Sort it, **** sake....

Robbie makes his feelings clear after notching the vital first goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think we all know the real answer, don't even need a poll.

Ronnie O'Brien

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    I think we all know the real answer, don't even need a poll.

Ronnie O'Brien

:eek: how could i forget

We've been shamed.....

Lighten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I'm a Sunderland supporter and I was at the Britannia to see the Stoke match and Glenn Whelan really went up in my estimation (see previous posts screaming for him to be dropped.) Although he didn't exactly have a attacking minded midfielder alongside him in Delap, I have a feeling he might thrive partnering a midfielder who can put his foot on the ball.

In the next few years hopefully we'll see the emergence of a decent old-fashioned targetman (Sheridan, maybe?) as we desperately lack a quality physical presence. Folan hasn't made an impact on the Premier League but we saw the difference a big strong guy can make, the Italy match for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

elgriff wrote: »
    Nearly 5 hours

load of bollix imo. doesnt matter where they sit on a plane,just the media stirring ****e imo

I'm a Sunderland supporter and I was at the Britannia to see the Stoke match and Glenn Whelan really went up in my estimation (see previous posts screaming for him to be dropped.) Although he didn't exactly have a attacking minded midfielder alongside him in Delap, I have a feeling he might thrive partnering a midfielder who can put his foot on the ball.
    He's been excellent beside S.Reid which backs up your point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

3-0 to Ireland, I can feel it! Richard Dunne to score with his big head again....hes 28/1 to score first! Might be worth the bet!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Would be nice to see Doyle getting a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Would be nice to see Doyle getting a goal

Doyle, Keane, poxy deflection off a Cypriot shin...let's not be too picky :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

PCros wrote: »
    3-0 to Ireland, I can feel it! Richard Dunne to score with his big head again....hes 28/1 to score first! Might be worth the bet!.

Just on betfair, Dunne isn't listed:mad:. Kilbane is 44-1, if he starts that's a bargain!
    JOS is 30-1 and the duffer 12-1, might throw a fiver on JOS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Glen Whelan to score first, Ireland to win 3-1, 175/1 on PP....long shot I know since I dont think there has been more than 3 goals in an Ireland game yet in this group!

• Advertisement

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Just on betfair, Dunne isn't listed:mad:. Kilbane is 44-1, if he starts that's a bargain!

12/1 on duff is a very good price

if I was betting on this match id go for that for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Nice prices around for first and anytime scorers for Dunne and Whelan.

I can see an Irish goal from either a set peice or a Whelan long shot (their keeper is a bit ropey apparently)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I don't give a flyin fart what score it finishes, who scores just once we have 3 points at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Headshot wrote: »
    12/1 on duff is a very good price

if I was betting on this match id go for that for sure

Yeah, just threw a tenner on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Keane is 10-1 first scorer on PP with a max 15e stake, great odds.

your killing me BastardPrince :D

i was hoping to stay a way from this game,but those odds just pull me back in

I can't find this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

yea where is this bet? i see him at 5-1 on PP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Paparazzo wrote: »

Yup when faced with choices..Always go for JOS:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

so this game will only be shown on sky sports? What a sell out.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

nuxxx wrote: »
    so this game will only be shown on sky sports? What a sell out.....

it's on RTE 2. Coverage starting at 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

http://www.rte.ie/tv/listings_rtetwo.html

7.00 pm show time with kick off at 7.30.

come on u boys in green ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Another ninety mins of watching Ireland play well for ten, probably score and then just cave in, not retain the ball, and hope for a miracle from Given and the backline, plus the Cypriot forwards not being able to score.

Can't wait tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Why do they have Konstantinou @ 15/2 when hes suspended???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's on RTE 2. Coverage starting at 7.

awesome! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

SantryRed wrote: »
    Another ninety mins of watching Ireland play well for ten, probably score and then just cave in, not retain the ball, and hope for a miracle from Given and the backline, plus the Cypriot forwards not being able to score.

Can't wait tbh.

if i were you i wouldnt watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hopefully I'll be waking up to three points from a great performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For some reason the odds on an Ireland win have lengthened in the last few hours.

• Advertisement

PCros wrote: »
    Why do they have Konstantinou @ 15/2 when hes suspended???

1) display bet that will obviously be refunded
    2) people place bet in shop and forgot to come back to claim their stake
    3) profit!

Advertisement