Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad idea at this time?

Options
  • 24-08-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Currently living without any lease or anything in a 3 bed flatmate (grand canal).
    But want to move into a 2 bed with a friend (that has parking).

He can only commit to 3 months and pretty much everywhere is a 12 month lease. Could stay longer but 3 months is the minimal, its a temp job.

So, obvious solution is to get a 12 month lease and sub-let if he moves out early. But what I'm wondering is, would this be a good idea now? Being a renters market and all could I easily be stuck trying to find someone else. Rent is gonna be between 1000-1200 / 2 depending on where I get and would be in D4, probably around Ringsend.

Another question would be, would estate agents move on either the price or the lease length? I wasn't long ago that then knew they would have someone in a place in no time but thats changed. So for a place advertising lets say for 1150, do you think there would be much room to negotiate on that price or even the lease length?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

When you say that everywhere is a 12 month lease do you mean that you're just seeing that on ads or are you actually talking to landlords about it?

I wouldn't sign a 12 month lease when you've to quite possibly leave in 3 months, you could be hanging yourself for paying the full year. Subletting is a bad idea at the moment.

Find places you like, ring the number on the ad, ask if there's any chance of a 3 month lease with a possibility of staying on. Negotiate the rent and show comparisons of similar properties in the area which are seeking the rent you want it at.

If you don't ask, you won't get.

Advertisement